Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 00:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds

Wonderfully articulated report.
I so much wanted to be a part of this night OTR, but due to my brother Bhpian Avic93's marriage in next week, I had to give it a miss. Hope the next night OTR will be organised soon, so I can be part of it.

Congrats to Bhpain 1100D for his new Fortuner 4wd MT!
Sayata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 00:50   #17
BHPian

Excellent! Hats off to Kolkata Offroaders, UBS sir and of course the Team-BHP family! Special mention to the marshals and thanks S, Arav and Samba for the pics!

One day God willing I'll join with a Gurkha. Bravo once again!
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:43   #18

Excellent write-up and photographs. Rated 5 stars. This place is right in the village that I live in and I have been participating in the OTR Events sine last few years. But this time it was unique as it was a Night OTR. When BHPian Samba called and informed me about the event, I immediately cancelled my plans for the day and said I'll join. This was too good to miss as it was first of it's kind event for many of us. My current vehicle is not an offroader and I had to leave it on the ground above. But Samba was kind enough to offer me a seat in his Duster AWD during the entire session. Man, every time I sit in this car, I get amazed by its ride quality and capabilities.

Though I grew up in my village, played around the place where the OTR took place and know this place like the back of my hand, it was an entirely different thing after sundown. Got to meet some nice people and specially the legend, UBS Sir. Being a biriyani lover, it would be injustice if I don't mention the delicious biriyani and chnaap after a long tiring day! Thanks to KO for arranging everything and letting me be a part of something that hasn't happened before. I have a few photographs to share. Please excuse the poor quality as they were shot with my mobile phone
Attached Thumbnails
Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds-img_20220226_190437.jpg  

Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds-img_20220226_185719.jpg  

Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds-img_20220226_194535.jpg  

Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds-img_20220226_204541.jpg  

Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds-img_20220226_203159.jpg  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd March 2022 at 07:46.
arghyaheart is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, it's been a while since we've seen some offroad excursions thread. Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

All around brake traction control. AKA ATRAC (Active Traction Control)
I think the ATRAC turns off when in low ratio, right?
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Nope. Rather gets more aggressive in low range.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:34   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Rather gets more aggressive in low range.
Damn, can you manually turn it off? If not it will be annoying with the ECU limiting the throttle (Braking) every time you lose traction.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Damn, can you manually turn it off? If not it will be annoying with the ECU limiting the throttle (Braking) every time you lose traction.
So traction control sensitivity goes down. But ATRAC is the name given specially for offroad use.

So until there are x number of wheel spins without the vehicle moving forward and that too at a constant rpm it won’t activate. And when it does, it’s quite seamless.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd March 2022 at 11:48. Reason: Minor typo :).
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghyaheart View Post
Excellent write-up and photographs. Rated 5 stars. This place is right in the village that I live in and I have been participating in the OTR Events sine last few years. But this time it was unique as it was a Night OTR. When BHPian Samba called and informed me about the event, I immediately cancelled my plans for the day and said I'll join. This was too good to miss as it was first of it's kind event for many of us. My current vehicle is not an offroader and I had to leave it on the ground above. But Samba was kind enough to offer me a seat in his Duster AWD during the entire session. Man, every time I sit in this car, I get amazed by its ride quality and capabilities.

Though I grew up in my village, played around the place where the OTR took place and know this place like the back of my hand, it was an entirely different thing after sundown. Got to meet some nice people and specially the legend, UBS Sir. Being a biriyani lover, it would be injustice if I don't mention the delicious biriyani and chnaap after a long tiring day! Thanks to KO for arranging everything and letting me be a part of something that hasn't happened before. I have a few photographs to share. Please excuse the poor quality as they were shot with my mobile phone
Firstly, a warm welcome to Team-BHP Arghya !! Known you since 2015 (the Ladakh days) and it is always great to relive those memories.

The Night OTR was some thing that definitely could not be missed and I am glad that you made it; you being a very important part of the KO Group.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
In stock form, Fortuner only has a rear differential lock that can be controlled via switch. I think it is a stock vehicle. It should be possible to do that hill with just rear diff locks.
Yes, you are right, it is a stock vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox_alienus View Post
Fabulous! How can I join you with my Thar, which is getting bored out of its mind??
I had no clue else would have surely PM'd you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I see most cars only had stock headlights, no auxilliary lights or overlanding lights. Must have been tricky to navigate the terrain. Hats off to the spotters, as gauging the depth and inclines in night with lights is very difficult.
The lead vehicle had a light bar. Not sure if you can tell from the photos -
Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds-img_9947.jpg

Night OTR with Kolkata Offroaders @ Boinchi grounds-img_9909.jpg

One of the Thars had a blinkeratti.

But you are right, the spotters had a field day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I think Samba can put you in touch with KO members and admin Adhiraaj & Uday uncle, although I havent met them since a long time, still I remain a KO member (although Dormant) at heart.
UBS Sir and Adhiraaj are both the most enthusiastic people to have around. At my age, I cannot even begin to match the energy of the seventy-something young UBS Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I am sure Samba enjoyed the most amongst all, his enthusiasm is infectious and as I can see, has clearly rubbed the right way
Thanks for the appreciation. Rightly said, Samba's energy rubs off on anyone present during the OTR. But I know he will appreciate it more if I spoke about it less as he hates the limelight!

Your energy is infectious too, except that you have not come for the OTRs, possibly you enjoy the live ones in the Garo Khasi Jayantiya hills et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayata View Post
Wonderfully articulated report.
I so much wanted to be a part of this night OTR, but due to my brother Bhpian Avic93's marriage in next week, I had to give it a miss!
We missed you too, bro! Hoping to see Brownie and you in the next one with Avic93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
One day God willing I'll join with a Gurkha. Bravo once again!
Now I am going to poke you everyday of your life till you get the Gurkha and join us

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghyaheart View Post
Excellent write-up and photographs. Rated 5 stars. This place is right in the village that I live in and I have been participating in the OTR Events sine last few years.
Arghya, thanks for the rating! And thanks for the ride to your place - completely charmed by the peace, tranquility and hospitality of where you live. Visiting again soon!
And by the way, your phone photos came out very well, sharp and well-composed. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. Rather gets more aggressive in low-range.
Quote:

So until there are x number of wheel spins without the vehicle moving forward and that too at a constant rpm it won’t activate. And when it does, it’s quite seemless.
Exactly what I noticed and was bowled over with the ease and finesse with which it did the climb. I have driven 1100D's Scorpio the previous time and did a less steep incline right next to this one. That was less steep. So, when he planned to take on this one, I was wondering what that would like. But looked like butter spreading over warm toast!
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:37   #25
BHPian

Another OTR missed and that too was the exciting night OTR. I am so jealous seeing this thread right now and cursing myself for missing out on such an exciting adventure. The write-up and the pictures gave a feel of the OTR from the comfort of my room at present. I wish to join you guys for future adventures and night OTRs if possible.
Mountain_Deep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think It can be manually turned off in low range by long-pressing the traction control button. I remember reading something like this in the manual. I also remember seeing TRC off in the screen once in low range while fiddling with the buttons, but I have no way of validating whether it actually turned off.

Edit: This article says it can be turned off.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/

Last edited by padmrajravi : 3rd March 2022 at 14:19. Reason: Adding a link
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
I had no clue else would have surely PM'd you.
Thanks! Hoping to join the next one!
vox_alienus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks