Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2008, 08:53   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Can u go in detail,please?
Look at how the skid plate is shaped..it will scoop dirt if reversed..!!

and break..whether al or plastic..
Old 8th February 2008, 11:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

Underside dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is a short video to show the flimsiness of GV plastic skid plates. I could bend it with my fingers, it stands no chance against stones. Click on the photo for the video.
I am just happy to see that at least the underside of your GV is dirty. I was beginning to suspect divine intervention.

Steel skid plates are another option. I wonder what the aluminum/steel cost differential is for fabrication by a private shop. Yes, steel rusts if not kept painted. But it is strong. Of course, it does not clean up as easily as aluminum. I know that is a factor for YOU, .
Old 8th February 2008, 19:30   #138
Team-BHP Support

Dan, what is your obsession with dirt? Oh wait, I just noticed your handle again.

Next time I'll take a photograph when it is really dirty. When I came back from a recent Hampi trip, is was almost dull pink from all the dirt and manganese ore sand. Once the monsoon starts there will be lots of slushy drives too.
Old 11th February 2008, 09:01   #139
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, I crossed a open storm drain to find better parking spot in the shade while visiting some place. The Kelambakkam training came in handy. I had the whole place for myself since no other car dared to crossover.
However, while getting out, the short overhang of GV couldn't escape the sudden drop into the drain.

This is how it looks now, I am yet to clean it, not sure whether the paint is chipped. But I decided right after buying GV that I won't cry over scratches, an off-roader is bound to get scratched sooner or later. Let's leave the scratchless bodies to soft-roaders.

First off-roading with Grand Vitara-253106961_atfvzl.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 17th March 2008 at 21:12.
Old 11th February 2008, 12:25   #140
BHPian

yes samurai, wear your battle scars with pride
Old 12th February 2008, 10:33   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I won't cry over scratches, an off-roader is bound to get scratched sooner or later. Let's leave the scratchless bodies to soft-roaders.
I like that Attitude..Sharat!!
Old 14th February 2008, 20:39   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, while getting out, the short overhang of GV couldn't escape the sudden drop into the drain.

Let's leave the scratchless bodies to soft-roaders.

I hope you did not do this just for my sake, Samurai. But, I must say, NOW IT LOOKS LIKE A REAL OFF-ROADER! I am happy for you, my brother .
Old 14th February 2008, 23:38   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I hope you did not do this just for my sake, Samurai.
I crossed the ditch to find good parking spot, it was also a chance to put the Kelambakkam training to test. But I must confess the idea to photograph it came to me that evening as I remembered your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
But, I must say, NOW IT LOOKS LIKE A REAL OFF-ROADER! I am happy for you, my brother .
Thanks, the paint did peal off all the way deep where the mud stain is darkest.
Old 15th February 2008, 09:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hope no other parts got scraped

Quote:
Yesterday, I crossed a open storm drain to find better parking spot in the shade while visiting some place....However, while getting out, the short overhang of GV couldn't escape the sudden drop into the drain.
Hope you have checked the underbody thoroughly for any other minor damages : the silencer box also seems quite low in the pic.
Old 15th February 2008, 11:43   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Hope you have checked the underbody thoroughly for any other minor damages : the silencer box also seems quite low in the pic.
I checked after reaching home. Nothing else touched, I was in an angle, so only one side touched. The silencer is not that low, the angle of the shot makes it seem so. If you look beyond the silencer, you can see the parts of the suspension well below it.
Old 17th March 2008, 21:21   #146
Team-BHP Support

The GV has one irritating problem during night driving in twisting roads. The headlights have very little spread. That means while taking acute turns, I am turning pretty much blindly. This can be a problem if I am off-road during night, any ideas how to fix it?

This problem was originally noticed by Aravind Gowda during the Chikmagalur Trip while driving in the coffee estate.
Old 17th March 2008, 21:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...any ideas how to fix it?...
A couple of Rally lights on the roof ? This will be very useful when going off-roading in desolate places. This is one of the items on my wish-list for the Gypsy.
Old 17th March 2008, 21:46   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
A couple of Rally lights on the roof ? This will be very useful when going off-roading in desolate places. This is one of the items on my wish-list for the Gypsy.
Is that legal? I know there are many laws against extra lights.
Old 17th March 2008, 22:07   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is that legal? I know there are many laws against extra lights.
According to the motor vehicles act SUVs are allowed extra lights, as long as they are not above a certain height from the ground.
What is that certain height. The motor vehicles act does not say that, but directs you to a certain BIS standard which contains the specification about that height.
So you either purchase the BIS standard, or find the Tata Xenon XT, measure the height at which the fogs sit above the ground, and fix fogs at a height lower than that.
Needless to say, you need a bull bar to mount the lights, and the lights have to be mounted such that they point sideways, and not straight on the road.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:38   #150
BHPian

Hi guys, Does the Grand Vitaras 4L&4H-Lock qualify as real diff-locks or are they just some varied LSDs?

Most Viewed