Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 17:18   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
Wow! Someone has managed to convince headers.
I bow to U, O great Samurai!
good one !!

but did u notice the cheers: at the bottom of header's post - maybe he is too drunk to argue
Old 20th January 2008, 19:54   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Ok..I understand your POV..And I do not underestimate or ridicule your judgment or the video..which was infact very nice..

I just had a different POV and hence the posts..
Thanks for the understanding. You are without doubt more knowledgeable than me when it comes to off-roading and related areas, I am only into it for couple of months. But here we are talking about strength of a material, first hand experiences say it is fragile. So, I have to go with that opinion.

Quote:
Also.. i thought a breakage during use is a manufacturing defect..especially for an item like a skid plate..Anyways..thanks for the clarifications..
Normal use, yes. The GV skid plates are designed to protect against flying chips of rock and gravel, not against boulders.
Old 21st January 2008, 16:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
Wow! Someone has managed to convince headers.
I bow to U, O great Samurai!
Nitrous..It is not difficult to convince me if one knows what one is talking about..and puts it across in a nice way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
good one !!

but did u notice the cheers: at the bottom of header's post - maybe he is too drunk to argue

I'm told that this is the "cheers" symbol.. hence the cheers:

Narayan..never ever argue with someone who is drunk..you are sure to loose!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Normal use, yes. The GV skid plates are designed to protect against flying chips of rock and gravel, not against boulders.
Samurai san..can you post a video of the terrain you are talking about for my better understanding..

cos..boulders..again..if you go on a really big one..whether plastic or aluminum..the skid plate will lift the vehicle and anchor it..with some wheels in air..depending on the angle.. and you need diff locks.. full diff locks to get unstuck..!!

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2008 at 16:42. Reason: use multi-quote feature instead of separate posts
Old 21st January 2008, 16:41   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai san..can you post a video of the terrain you are talking about for my better understanding..
No need for video, consider the Kelambakkam terrain. Those rocks can easily tear the GV plastic skid plates and damage the parts they are supposed to protect.

Quote:
the skid plate will lift the vehicle and anchor it..
Plastic plates won't, aluminium might.

Quote:
with some wheels in air..depending on the angle.. and you need diff locks.. full diff locks to get unstuck..!!
That's a different problem, hopefully a winch equipped jeep will be handy in such scenerio.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:07   #125
Senior - BHPian

Ok Samurai..time to get your GV to kelambakkam..lets anchor it..and try..Cheers

Jokes apart..dont you think that flimsy cover is just to hide the parts from direct impact.. I doubt whether aluminum or whatever will be able to handle the weight of the vehicle if anchored.. what do you think?
Old 6th February 2008, 09:03   #126
Team-BHP Support

This was reported today by a Candian GV owner in a GV forum.

Quote:
Ripped off stock skid plate from under the engine!

I parked in snow on a street. When I was backing up from there a couple of hours later, I ripped off that piece of plastic! It's WEAK. Maybe it's got frozen to the snow while the car was parked or what?.
Dont underestimate the snow!
Old 6th February 2008, 10:05   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes and no. AFAIK plastic skid plat is not meant for hammering but more of spreading mud/slush or such. More importantly they are great for aerodynamics of the car and reduce noise hugely.

I have also broken one of the anchor points and am contemplating replacement with aluminum. For the moment some copper wire wound round and round is taking care.

How I broke it? I ran over some rocks during my trip to Leh. My fault and I was lucky that I did not do more damage.
Old 6th February 2008, 12:19   #128
BHPian

Quote:
When you say mud, if you refers to clayish liquid stuff, then you are right. I was thinking dry mud or slightly wet mud which would respond well to snow chains. With Kambala fields kind of mud, only serious mud tyres (like tractor tyres) can get purchase.

Samurai san, is this you in the video ?

If yes then, had you engaged 4 low the first time you tried going up hill, or only the second time, when you got thru !
Old 6th February 2008, 12:40   #129
BANNED

I am surprised that the Vitara that costs so much uses a plastic skid plate. Suzuki should have provided atleast an option. Agreed 99% Vitara's will never damage the plastic skid plate but how much more could it have added to the cost to have a tougher plate considering its used to protect the most costly and important components of the vehicle. But then a steel/aluminium one can always be fabricated.
Old 6th February 2008, 12:42   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
If yes then, had you engaged 4 low the first time you tried going up hill, or only the second time, when you got thru !
Yes, it is me. It was in 4 low (central diffs locked) in both cases. But the front and rear diffs are open, therefore if the wheels spin, there is no torque.

The difference between first and second attempt was the momentum, which helped overcome the lack of traction in loose dry mud.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

took the GV for a test drive yday... took it round the parking lot, thats still being done. Not "off-road" but BAD roads.
However, the GV impressed with the fact that unlike a regular car, the occupants did not get thrown around like a can of peas.
Does the GV have independent suspension?
Old 6th February 2008, 15:03   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is me. It was in 4 low (central diffs locked) in both cases. But the front and rear diffs are open, therefore if the wheels spin, there is no torque.

The difference between first and second attempt was the momentum, which helped overcome the lack of traction in loose dry mud.
Samurai,

I have one question about the open (unlockable front and rear diffs) and traction control:

Even if the diffs are open, if one of the wheels starts to spin, does the traction control not kick in thereby braking that wheel and thus mainitaining some level of torque to that axle?

Did you have any good experiance yet where traction control helped you?
Old 6th February 2008, 15:33   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Did you have any good experiance yet where traction control helped you?
Anand, the Indian version of GV doesn't have TCS. It is available in US, Australia, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
However, the GV impressed with the fact that unlike a regular car, the occupants did not get thrown around like a can of peas. Does the GV have independent suspension?
Obviously Madan. I think only Endy does the faux pas of providing leaf spring among the hi-end SUVs, hence the bad ride quality.
Old 6th February 2008, 21:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was reported today by a Candian GV owner in a GV forum.
Bro. he was reversing..thats why the plate ripped..I'g guess..the design of the plate as you are aware is for forward motion..
Old 6th February 2008, 23:31   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
he was reversing..thats why the plate ripped..I'g guess..the design of the plate as you are aware is for forward motion..

Can u go in detail,please?

Most Viewed