Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 10:24   #61
GRV
BHPian

Any Off Roading event in Delhi NCR

Hi

How amny of Off roading enthusiast are there in Delhi NCR region. Can we have a 4*4 / Off roading training or small expedition in and around Delhi ?

What are places one can visit for such excursion during week end. It is perfect weather for such exercise

GRV
Old 13th December 2007, 10:41   #62
BHPian

One question regarding safety.

Was everyone wearing a seatbelt? I see that in some pictures the driver / passenger is without a seat belt. Isn't it dangerous especially when the vehicle can sway violently and you can get thrown off or in the event of a roll over?

Maybe they're experienced. Was that the reason?

-- Torqy
Old 13th December 2007, 10:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

the low end torque also plays a very ccritical role in the way these jeeps move. the palio crawls without either the clutch or acc at about 4kmph in 1st, and it goes up steadily to about 12-15kmph in 3rd (guessing this includes speedo errors) again, without the acc.
The gearing is critical - and as Samurai pointed out, the 4L is for high torque, so it just pulls. while driving up slops of basement car parks - the palio pulls in 1st - sans acc / half clutchin.. so it has a lot to do with the gearing and a bit to do with driving techniques. (again - this is for road, off it driving techniques play a VERY large role)
Old 13th December 2007, 10:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
One question regarding safety.

Was everyone wearing a seatbelt? I see that in some pictures the driver / passenger is without a seat belt. Isn't it dangerous especially when the vehicle can sway violently and you can get thrown off or in the event of a roll over?

Maybe they're experienced. Was that the reason?

-- Torqy
there are seatbelts- but no one wears them. if there is a roll - then there are people to lift it back. thats why in the pics - you see people holding onto the jeep for dear life!

The tipping point for vehicles is minimal since we take a lot of precautions in the driving style- ensuring there is no crazy driving/ insane inclines that are attempted.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:23   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is one more thing that goes against convention wisdom. Arka's jeep didn't have seat belts, so I was feeling naked on highways without it. In off-roading however, I was told it was safer without seat belts. The speeds are always below 5Kmph, the violent sways are beacuse of tyres falling into crevice. If case of a roll over, you can slide away or jump off. These Jeeps have no roll cage or even proper top, if it rolls, you will be crushed under it if you can't jump off.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:30   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Far out pictures, and well-written report! Its great to see such interest toward the offroading sport. Once my Jeep is back to 4x4, expect some great action from Mumbai + Pune too!

@ Samurai : Next time, take your GV along.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is one more thing that goes against convention wisdom. Arka's jeep didn't have seat belts, so I was feeling naked on highways without it.
There was a seatbelt for the driver on patrick's CJ3B, but the passenger had to hold on to dear life. I felt the pinch while pugram drove back from mahabs with me on the passenger seat, there is very little to hold on to in these vehicles.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:43   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
There was a seatbelt for the driver on patrick's CJ3B, but the passenger had to hold on to dear life
For most of us this was our first off-roading experience. The though foremost was to listen and assimilate whatever Arka says and i am sure none of us saw to the "seat belt" angle. We were more concerned about the safe driving aspect Viz. Moving in the direction of the slide, driving safe so that the jeep does not topple etc.

But back on the ECR i was wearing the seat belt, which E_L can confirm. I have never been so scared of using the brakes or clutch in any other vehicle. It stopped miraculously when i braked, though i did not feel the brake bite. Maybe i was too excited driving the Classic.
Old 13th December 2007, 15:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

This is the turn off towards the hill.

Whats nitrous doing ?

Old 13th December 2007, 17:19   #70
BHPian

oh my god looks like i have missed an excellent experience and a chance to meet up with the tBhp here.

Nice writeup samurai and the photos are awesome
Old 13th December 2007, 20:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
there are seatbelts- but no one wears them. if there is a roll - then there are people to lift it back. thats why in the pics - you see people holding onto the jeep for dear life!

The tipping point for vehicles is minimal since we take a lot of precautions in the driving style- ensuring there is no crazy driving/ insane inclines that are attempted.
No madan, we can easily tip / topple a jeep inspite of the weight etc..next time i'll show you how easy it is..!

I wanted the first OTR for BHPians to be a little safe..and we were on a terrain where we've been a dozen times including night OTRs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Far out pictures, and well-written report! Its great to see such interest toward the offroading sport. Once my Jeep is back to 4x4, expect some great action from Mumbai + Pune too!

Yeah Samurai..we need your Vitara along just for comparisons sake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
There was a seatbelt for the driver on patrick's CJ3B, but the passenger had to hold on to dear life. I felt the pinch while pugram drove back from mahabs with me on the passenger seat, there is very little to hold on to in these vehicles.
Seatbelts..eh? What is that.and why in a jeep??

Well..i should tell you my experience of installing a good pair of esteem seats with seatbelts etc.. on my cj3b..felt strangled..removed and refit the original seats..also the visibility gets affected on the bucket seats.. especially as i'm 7' tall

Last edited by aah78 : 14th December 2007 at 03:47. Reason: Multiple posts merged.
Old 13th December 2007, 21:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
These Jeeps have no roll cage or even proper top, if it rolls, you will be crushed under it if you can't jump off.
Now that's scary.
I guess it'll be safer with a roll cage (need not be rally spec) / top with seat belts.

-- Torqy
Old 13th December 2007, 21:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that's scary.
I guess it'll be safer with a roll cage (need not be rally spec) / top with seat belts.

-- Torqy
Man, this is offroad, remember ? if you are thinking of seat belts, stay on the road. this is a different kind of sport that involves a lot more common sense & safety from the driver. You cannot think of doing extreme driving on these terrain. look out for yourself & your co-passengers & if you cannot, then please do not do it.
Old 13th December 2007, 23:41   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yeah Samurai..we need your Vitara along just for comparisons sake!!
First let me practice my newfound knowledge on GV in lesser terrains. There is a big difference between the MM540 and a Grand Vitara when it comes off-roading. Just checkout the GC for example.
Old 14th December 2007, 04:43   #75
BHPian

Brilliant stuff!
Great report Samurai and amazing pics Tifosi.
Outlandish...

Most Viewed