Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 12:00   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
1. Gradually apply the brake while accelarating..so that at one point the non spinning wheel gets tha traction and the vehicle moves forward.

It works only with torque biased LSDs, and nothing in India which costs <3,000,000 has torsen diffs.

There is a better option than the lancer for that track...it is India's best off-roader, the Fusion.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:06   #107
Team-BHP Support

While I can believe it may be possible for an expert driver to take the Indica all the way and back, what is the point of it all? And I doubt that the Indica will come back unhurt from the operation.

One should use the right tool for a given job. If you don't, you may still get the job done, but it may be delayed, it may be shoddy, and it might damage the components/participants involved.

* A surgeon can use a kitchen knife for surgery, but it might leave big scar and cause lots of pain.

* A carpenter can use a sledge hammer to drive nails while making a chair, it might result in a shaky bashed up chair.

The point of using a capable 4x4 for off-roading is simple, it is the right tool for the job. I wouldn't take the GV into a terrain like this until I get my skid plates replaced with metal plates. The point is to go in and come out unscathed.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:11   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
It works only with torque biased LSDs, and nothing in India which costs <3,000,000 has torsen diffs.
The Grand Vitara has torque sensitive LSD, at half the price you mention. Yes, it works only troque sensitive LSDs since it works by multiplying the torque, braking would give that resistance needed.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:19   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
While I can believe it may be possible for an expert driver to take the Indica all the way and back, what is the point of it all? And I doubt that the Indica will come back unhurt from the operation.
You're right and I'm definitely not going to try it with the intention of going the full distance. The idea is to make an attempt for some part of the initial distance and then chicken out & hop into one of the jeeps

On the other hand, there may be an alternate 4x2 route which I'm more than willing to try the full distance.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:19   #110
BHPian

Quote:
The Grand Vitara has torque sensitive LSD, at half the price you mention. Yes, it works only troque sensitive LSDs since it works by multiplying the torque, braking would give that resistance needed.
Are these proper mechanical torsens or is it the TCS cutting in to simulate this effect? Are all three diffs torque sensitive?
Do you know the make of the diffs on the GV?
Old 18th December 2007, 12:48   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Been there done that. Gave up after the clutch started emitting a burning smell. Gave 20rs to 5(4rs each) guys who pulled the car out, or rather lifted it out.
You've been to this terrain..and your clutch gave away..OMG!! OM..G

Pls tell me the next time you r this side of town and we'll take it together!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I'm game to try out my Indica petrol during the next off-road training organized in Chennai.

ex670c / headers - think an Indica petrol will make the grade?
Sure buddy..watch this section..aternatively..be in touch with one of us and we'll take you on..You sure got the spirit..

There was once an OMNI that came half distance..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sure,hrag.
At the end of the trip, u'll be driving her like freddy flintstone!
Nitrous..Thats nonsense..if you learn the tricks of driving properly, then nothin happens to the car..NO LIFTING WHEELS NO SCRAPPING..etc..

Did you realise how safe Srinath in the LC was while tackling the same terrain..his only bad luck was being anchored at one point..and that was a driver error too..which he'd admitted..as that was his second attempt at off roading.. There are some nice pictures of the Prado's rear NOT scrapping just because he took the right angle and line..and that was superb..

We can be careless with the jeeps are they can withstand more abuse than a regular road going car..

Last edited by Samurai : 18th December 2007 at 13:01. Reason: Please use multi-quote button and reply in one post.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:56   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Are these proper mechanical torsens or is it the TCS cutting in to simulate this effect? Are all three diffs torque sensitive?
Do you know the make of the diffs on the GV?
The GV in India has no TCS and it has LSD only on center diff. Check this link: GLOBAL SUZUKI >>> GLOBAL COMMUNICATION MAGAZINE

Quote:
There was once an OMNI that came half distance..!!
What happened after? Even I might risk it with an Omni, it so light it can even be carried across if needed.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:57   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One should use the right tool for a given job. If you don't, you may still get the job done, but it may be delayed, it may be shoddy, and it might damage the components/participants involved.

* A surgeon can use a kitchen knife for surgery, but it might leave big scar and cause lots of pain.

* A carpenter can use a sledge hammer to drive nails while making a chair, it might result in a shaky bashed up chair.

The point of using a capable 4x4 for off-roading is simple, it is the right tool for the job. I wouldn't take the GV into a terrain like this until I get my skid plates replaced with metal plates. The point is to go in and come out unscathed.

Samurai san, i do understand your feelings..your GV is exempted from this terrain..

BTW..while i agree with you with your POV, i still believe that we could try to improve our techniques with road cars..

There have been moments where we are forced to go off road on the highways in case of major accidents etc.. [Not that they happen everyday]..such practice sessions make us hendle that better..

Also, my personal opinion is that we learn everyday whether we drive on road or off road and any developed skill will only help us handle the unexpected better!
Old 18th December 2007, 13:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

@ Samurai -->great writeup on this offroading adventure.
@ Tifosikrishna --> absolutely great photos, did not know that next-door Kelambakkam had such wonderful scenery :-)

Guys, slightly OT, but this 4X4-off-roading section seems to be newly added (or did I miss it out all along??? not possible). When was this forum added? Thanx.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:45   #115
BHPian

Quote:
my personal opinion is that we learn everyday whether we drive on road or off road and any developed skill will only help us handle the unexpected better!
Well said Headers !!!!

This was exactly what was going on in my mind, when i encountered roads with crater size potholes on my recent trip. What did i do the other day (at Kelambakkam)? and what should i do now?.

I would surely say that the offroading has to a greater extent sharpened the way i handle the car in the above situations and the brain scans the road ahead, faster than usual, looking out for escape routes.

IMHO, there should be frequent refresher courses for us novices
Old 18th December 2007, 15:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Nitrous..Thats nonsense..if you learn the tricks of driving properly, then nothin happens to the car..NO LIFTING WHEELS NO SCRAPPING..etc..
Whatever,man.
At the end of the "car off-roading", i bet the indica will be well scarred.
Samurai has spoken everything I had in mind.So,...
Old 18th December 2007, 15:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

OTR Challenge - Palio Vs Indica

When we had "CAR THREADS" we would post about JEEPs & 4x4.

Now that we have 4x4 Thread we are talking about CARS!!!

I think we all like to add to the cause confusion!!!!

Regards,

Arka

PS - Palio Petrol will wipe out the Indica OTR
Old 18th December 2007, 19:34   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
When we had "CAR THREADS" we would post about JEEPs & 4x4.

Now that we have 4x4 Thread we are talking about CARS!!!

I think we all like to add to the cause confusion!!!!

Regards,

Arka

PS - Palio Petrol will wipe out the Indica OTR
Rather..we'll like to experiment some mild OTR using cars..! I just love the indica OTR..man..I'd prefer a palio for the track..with its sure footed handling and all.. But a terrain like the kelambakkam would do more justice to the Indica Diesel than a Palio petrol..especially when it comes to engine braking..and downhill course!

Petrols have a tendency to rev..overrev..and that speed may certainly be too much for the terrain..hence the low speed HSDs..
Old 21st December 2007, 14:09   #119
Senior - BHPian

The palio has a good low end torque. Since its an ECU, if you keep your foot off the acc, it will work just fine and not over-rev.
Thanks arka for the confidence in the palio - its an allrounder- track and terrain! Gooooo Paaliooo!
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:54   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
The palio has a good low end torque. Since its an ECU, if you keep your foot off the acc, it will work just fine and not over-rev.
Thanks arka for the confidence in the palio - its an allrounder- track and terrain! Gooooo Paaliooo!
Thanks Madan, for offering your palio..for the OTR..

BTW..Whether ECU or not..a petrol will over rev..when on a 30 deg decline..unlike a diesel which has inherently lower engine speed than petrols..

Thats the characteristic of a diesel engines..more low end torque..but max engine speeds say 2500 to 5000 RPM..

It may have good low end torque..but you need engine braking to happen while on a steep descent.. Even the gypsies fail here..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks