Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Tada Falls

Has anyone here been to the Tada falls? Is it possible to drive up there with a Safari 4x4?

How good are the Michelin Syncrones off road?
Old 5th January 2008, 12:05   #2

Tada Falls - Be careful about robbery of car parts

Hi Doc, I have been to Tada falls. I am not sure how far you can drive your safari up to. My only word of caution is, its not a regulated forest area so I have heard from many people who have been there and have also experienced myself......robbery of auto parts when you park your vehicle and go trekking up hill to the falls. The parts robbed range from petrol (2 wheelers) to music system, battery, valuables (CDs and any other stuff inside the car) and even all the wheels in the car.

I didnt trek till the water falls but just 2 water streams and had good fun...I went in the season time (Nov 2007). The trip till we returned back to car & bikes was amazing and unforgettable but once we saw our car & bikes robbed, we had a really bad time and all our happiness was spoiled.

So please be careful....plan and have a nice trip.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:58   #3
BHPian

I have been to Tada falls, however that was about 10 yrs back, I don't think a Safari will reach till the base of the camp. there is a leather factory about 7 kms from the village and from the factory it's about 5 kms to the base camp. The falls base camp is about 12kms fro m the village, i think it was called vardapalium. I had a friend who's grandfather was the actual owner of the farm, so we got treated well.

Did I like the place, you bet I did, it's one of those experiences that I shall not forget.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

hi
We have been to the base camp of tada falls during a OTR recently in chennai. The road is good for safari and if driven carefully even a 2wd in dry season will do. But 4wd is recommended for surprises as it is a jungle track. We did take our jeep along the stream upwards but as the water was deep and some steep slopes ahead we reurned. Do not take safari into the stream, it is not safari kind of terrain, you need short wheel base to survive in such places. Do venture out with another 4x4 to the base camp to rescue your self incase u get stuck!
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.. Check out the link for some off roading we did enroute TADA falls base camp.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to off-road till the Tada waterfalls?
I mean proper ,hardcore off-roaders.
Old 16th January 2008, 15:13   #6
BHPian

Nitrous
Off roading till tada falls should be possible, best I can remember is that at places the road get's narrow, but still I think a proper vicheal should be able to reach the base without issues. I suggest try it, it's worth the ride, the place is just great, atleast it was great when I had gone there about 10-11 yrs back, not many people knew of tada falls then, don't know how things are now, I live in Calcutta now.
Old 16th January 2008, 15:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the chennai off-roaders had visited Tada, a few weekends back.
Not sure, how far they'd gone.
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

till the base of the water falls..we went..and a greaves auto put us to shame .. cos it did the same water crossings without any spotter or outside help..!!

And so did 2 Hero Hondas with 3 guys each!!
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well..FYI , Tada is a great place to visit..we visited tada some 10 weeks ago. A bunch of 14 jeeps ranging from the humble gypsy king to the mighty Toyota Prado.. and ofcourse the ubiquitous CJ 3Bs and the MM540s..

The Journey to Tada from Chennai is a good 3 hours on the GNT road from Chennai, via Redhills.

The distance is only around 70 kms..but the mighty jeeps are not driven fast for safety issues of other road users..hence the 3 hours time..

We took a left turn into the town off the GNT road and had to drive in for around 15 kms or so. The town is your last hope for water, food, alcohol etc.. so guys please stock up..

The drive from the village towards the falls is very picturesque and one can do the entire stretch in 2WD vehicles..you dont require 4wd unless you plan to do all the water crossings..
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna_Pondy View Post
The trip till we returned back to car & bikes was amazing and unforgettable but once we saw our car & bikes robbed, we had a really bad time and all our happiness was spoiled.
Sorry about your loss. But I guess that's a very good excuse to off-road all the way to the falls.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:32   #11
BHPian

I understand that we need to park the car at Base Camp 1 and to trek to Tada. The problem is that the car is out of sight for quite a few hours and have heard of car/car parts thefts etc.

Is it safe to go to Tada falls, parking your car in Base camp 1?
Old 7th January 2010, 18:15   #12
BHPian

Has anyone been to Tada of late?
Old 7th January 2010, 22:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I understand that we need to park the car at Base Camp 1 and to trek to Tada. The problem is that the car is out of sight for quite a few hours and have heard of car/car parts thefts etc.

Is it safe to go to Tada falls, parking your car in Base camp 1?
Hey Proxima... Been to Tada a couple of times recently & we always park the car near Base camp, its quite safe there alright. They even have a couple of parking attendents.

The trek itself is quite hectic if you are a typical urban dweller... Watch out for those irresponsible drunks & broken bottle along the river though.

Most Viewed