Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 18:58   #61
Team-BHP Support

Mr.Dhabhar, the Grand Vitara does have LSD on the central differential. It also has diff locks on the central diffs. Now Winch is something of a challenge to install on the GV, but I am looking for a good solution for that.
Old 26th March 2008, 21:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Mr.Dhabhar, the Grand Vitara does have LSD on the central differential. It also has diff locks on the central diffs. Now Winch is something of a challenge to install on the GV, but I am looking for a good solution for that.
You probably have to get rid of the front bumper, with a custom metal one having the housing for the winch from the chassis cross member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
its useful to do that with front wheel drive cars(did that a lot with my M800 in college), but in 4wd, the weight would shift to the rear wheels anyway and provide decent traction at the rear. the lack of visibility would be a pain while reversing up an incline offroad.

the other advantage of reversing up a steep incline is that the rear overhang is usually less than the front overhang.

but in samurai's case it was the breakover angle that did him in.
Breakover angle would have done him in bothways.

What reversing thing would have done, additionally is that, there is more reaction on the cars front tyres due to the engine, hence would have generated better grip at the non-hanging wheels (in this case the front wheels). Its just that the chances of pushing thru the crest sliding on the skid plates would have increased.

But again, as I mentioned, there might not have been a space to flip around and the terrain could be trickier than it appears. Rear visibility not an issue, mostly because we actually have a prior visual beforehand.

Last edited by 1100D : 26th March 2008 at 21:13.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:39   #63
rippergeo

@1100D- i see your point about reversing up the incline now. thanks.

Old 28th March 2008, 11:56   #64
BHPian

hehe i met samurai yesterday and saw his private off roading track which is next to his office
hes got 1 cool place on top of a hill with a grand view of the surrounding area
Old 29th March 2008, 23:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
That is true, I was aware of it. But I was scared of rollover if I don't go up straight.
Apart from the rollover, there are chances that the vehicle might slip sideways towards the slope.. That situation becomes even more dangerous and getting the vehicle stance back in order becomes very difficult.

Such slopes are best aproached head on along with a little momentum to carry the vehicle across the obstacle. Secondly, this way you will end up leaving the slippery patch at the earliest. Even the tanks use the same technique to cross such obstacles.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

This is Where we get STUCK!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Not good for Team-BHP.com if he's gonna get stuck again.
Guys this is the 4x4 Section...............bad or good....THE place to get stuck!!!
Old 31st March 2008, 14:55   #67
DKG
Senior - BHPian

There are those who go out and explore and sometimes get stuck only to come home wiser and there are those who never go out, never get stuck and think they are wiser!!

I prefer the former breed and cheers: to you sir for using that machine as it really should be used. I'm sure in time you will figure out what works and what doesn't

Wishing you loads more fun

PS I think there's one other gentleman who has been using his Grand Vitara as well as you do, if I recall his name here on TBHP is SUDEV. Do check out his exploits, great stuff.

Last edited by DKG : 31st March 2008 at 14:58.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
There are those who go out and explore and sometimes get stuck only to come home wiser and there are those who never go out, never get stuck and think they are wiser!!...
Well said, DKG . What fun is there in off-roading if the vehicle doesnt get stuck occassionally. If one is using ones off-roader without getting stuck at all, then it is not being pushed to it's limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
..PS I think there's one other gentleman who has been using his Grand Vitara as well as you do, if I recall his name here on TBHP is SUDEV...

Yes, you are right.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:12   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1100D : You probably have to get rid of the front bumper, with a custom metal one having the housing for the winch from the chassis cross member.
A custom-made bumper wouldn't have the same fit & finish as the stock bumper. Another idea would be to modify the currently mounted stock bumper to fit in the winch.
Quote:
ex670c : Guys this is the 4x4 Section......... . ....THE place to get stuck!!!
Good one, @ex670c !

Last edited by condor : 31st March 2008 at 15:14.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Does the winch always have to be attached to the vehicle? Cant you just have a "portable" winch, which can be rigged up to the tow hook or the chassis?
Old 31st March 2008, 15:43   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

@spadival, it needs a proper mounting point. A jeep's front fender is a perfect place for a winch.
Old 31st March 2008, 17:18   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Does the winch always have to be attached to the vehicle? Cant you just have a "portable" winch, which can be rigged up to the tow hook or the chassis?
Yep there are and you use a local anchor point but it is not easy to manage and you have to run it off electricals from your vehicle.

Mounting a winch on just anything is not an option and in the last Desert Storm I saw two vehicle where the tow hook (embedded on front cross member) came out when trying to pull them out of sand with tractors. A Toyota and Suzuki at that. Normally I thought the tow hook had enough strength to hang the car even in an absolute vertical lift (say out of water etc). The best I have seen is on a Gypsy....Sorry for small pictures but that is what I have for now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1206964011

And Vijay (on the left) boss of raid has done it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1206964011
Attached Thumbnails
Birthday off-roading bash on Grand Vitara goes sour...-dsc_0007.jpg  

Birthday off-roading bash on Grand Vitara goes sour...-dsc_0005.jpg  

Old 6th April 2008, 08:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But here is the proof though, the tracks the end right at the ridge. Now explain that!
Attachment 3360
Did you try coming up the incline fast..then your front wheels jump in the air and the skid plate takes you though..

Anyways, must have been a wonderful experience.. Belated Happy Birthday!
Old 4th May 2008, 20:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

GREAT! Great!

Man, you really have the courage of taking such a car to offroad like this. The video clearly indicate that the surface was very slippery ( this is understood from the video where wheel locks yet the car comes down.

I wonder how the car was able to get struck at top of the climb!

The GV did its job with Swiss Clockwork precesion. I consider you very lucky to have such a nice and capable car.

Secondly many people have asked you to take this as learning experince. But I consider you as the one who is very successful in this specific expedetion. The experience cannot be considered as sour.

On important note, I respect your postitive attitude. You have taken personal comment also positively.

Great!
Both you and your machine.
Old 5th May 2008, 09:33   #75
BHPian

Samurai-san

Nice stuff including the You Tube video. Happy birthday from me too.

I admire the courage you have to put an expensive (relatively by Indian standards) new SUV through this, but that's what the capabilities are there for.

A couple of questions/comments:

The video's do show that the front wheels ad also the rear wheels (not at the same time though) are freely spinning. This tells me that it is all about traction. So, what caused the lack of traction? Could be the skid plate, or it could be that the low GC of the GV itself. I wonder when you were trying to reverse at the top, if you had turned the tyres to get a fresh mud to grip, and then suddenly go into 1st gear forward, the extra new traction and torque might have just caused enough grip to overcome the hurdle.

The smoke coming out from the exhaust was not nice.

Thirdly, I wonder how a Jeep or Land Rover would do under these conditions (wish I could bring my LR from California ).

Cheers

Nattusbs

Most Viewed