Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 00:41   #31
BHPian

I would love to join but my Gurkha is still haveing registration problems since its the 1st vehicle in TN they are taking a long time to register the model, traditional government red-tapeism. More over my brakes are still not alligined so god knows how long more, currently Force motors has driven the vehicle far far more than i have, lol.. if they drive any more i will tell them to keep the vehicle and f@#& off..
Old 8th August 2008, 08:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Come on, just get the Gurkha even if unregistered. We are going to drive on the river bed where no cops even dare to come
Old 8th August 2008, 12:09   #33
BHPian

Well its no probs to bring it like that but the vehicel is with them still!!! They fixing the brakes still and i dont know what else. Dont think i will be able to make it.

Moreover it would be better for one of those one day off-roading trips near EC41, thats more like it. Please let me knw if u guys r going in for that.
Old 9th August 2008, 09:11   #34
BHPian

There was an article in TOI today on the Palar challenge. Here is the link

Article Window
Old 9th August 2008, 10:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

TPC2008 - The Last Call

Hi Guys,

The Times Of India, did a write up on JEEPTHRILLS and The Palar Challenge.

The Scanned version.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
The Palar Challenge 2008 - TPC2008-toi090808.jpg  

Old 9th August 2008, 11:29   #36
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Arka you and your friends are doing a great job promoting the sport in Chennai. Wishing you guys loads of fun and safe offroading

Please do take some videos and lots of pictures for all of us to drool over!

Last edited by DKG : 9th August 2008 at 11:31.
Old 9th August 2008, 13:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Well its no probs to bring it like that but the vehicel is with them still!!! They fixing the brakes still and i dont know what else. Dont think i will be able to make it.

Moreover it would be better for one of those one day off-roading trips near EC41, thats more like it. Please let me knw if u guys r going in for that.
Boss, If I were you, I'd not spare the dealer for any delay whatsoever.

Secondly, If you want to make it, you will. If there is a will, there is a way

And let us not digress this thread for any ECR ventures, Please!
Old 17th August 2008, 18:22   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@Palar OTR Folks,

Where are the pictures and reports??? How about some pictures of the sand, the men and their machines under the blazing hot sun.
Old 17th August 2008, 22:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Heard Vinod_Nookala and Headers won the trophy for 'The Most Performing 4WD'.
Pictures and videos should follow.
Old 18th August 2008, 00:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Heard Vinod_Nookala and Headers won the trophy for 'The Most Performing 4WD'.
Pictures and videos should follow.
I've been waiting for pictures since yesterday!
Old 18th August 2008, 14:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Wow Wow, headers. Congratulations.
That calls for a party. Maybe you could sponsor the drinks at our Pondy meet.

Congrats, Vinod_Nookala.

Someone please update this thread with pictures and details.
Or is it that all offroaders are taking rest after their 3-day annual big show ?
Old 18th August 2008, 17:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

oh yeah SB, come to our WTPT this weekend!

The experience was great and we had a wonderful time. This year, the organisers made it competetive and we were split into teams. Vinod, Shariff & Kumaresh [from Bangalore in a classic] and I were in team A.

We rocked and came back with the rolling trophy.

The pictures will be put up soon courtesy Vinod.

The videos, etc, somebody should put up shortly in jeepthrills.

later..
Old 18th August 2008, 21:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Thank you for your wishes!!! Yes, we won The Palar Challenge 2008 and it feels great as the terrain was very demanding both from man & machine:-) The experience was amazing.
We all assembled on 14th evening at lovely resort called Adventure zone by 8.00p.m. Major Roy owner of the resort and avid 4wd driver himself with Jeep guru Arka gave us a warm welcome. That evening we had a first aid training by a well known and the only organisation certified to give First aid training. We were given a presentation with live demo on CRP, were taught on things like Do's and Dont's in emergency situation. Among 30 different situations we were taught on about 6 emergency situations including situations like, severe bleeding, fracture, severe burns, dehydration, CRP, eye injury etc. The training implied safety first!!

The next day true military style we got by 5.30 a.m with a morning bed tea, had breakfast by 6.30 and by sharp 7.00 a.m we were out to explore the dry river bed of once in a while mighty Palar river:-) Major roy briefed participants about 4wd do's & Dont's on sand with Dr. Jones on wheel of his lovely low bonnet jeep called Prowler.
The teams were randomly picked and the teams were named Alpha, Bravo & Charlie.

first day we were asked to locate flag on the river bed and the make our own way to the flag. This was timed and we had to clear special obstacles once we reach near flag. Reaching flag itself had many obstacles like water crossing, bush crossing, crossing dunes, and rocks. There were special stages thoughout the day and all this was timed. Marks were given not only based on time but also on driving technique, recovery technique and safety precautions taken. Inability to clear obstacle had penalty points and so was for skipping a stage. The lunch was also on fly with teams running to gain points. The first day came close by 4.00 p.m and participants tired had some liquid fuel , watched some jeep videos, dinner and went to sleep.

The second day started late than usual despite military rule:-) Bunks around chennai ran dry and fuel was short. But thanks to organisers the fuel was arranged for the needy and all jeeps headed to the other section of river bed. This day had harder special stages with rapid inclines and decends with softer sand. At the end of the day there were individual runs, team recovery and tyre change without jack events.
The day ended an hour than usual. We all head back to resort, wash ourselves up and assemble to know the result of competitive but extremely friendly event. Major roy surprises us by saying we have a quiz competition based on First aid training and also emergency tips that can be taken when vehicle breaks down while off roading. The quiz made us learn few very vital aspects. The quiz had marks as well.

The moment came and we the Team Alpha (A) were announced as winners of the palar challenge 2008 with over 100 points lead. The second was team charlie and the third was team bravo. Headers was also the king of individual performace event with his MG 413W. We the Team (A) also won the recovery event.

It was a well organised event and very demanding!! A test for the real 4x4. The pics will follow....

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 18th August 2008 at 22:02.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Headers & vinod_nookala.

And wonderful narration Vinod.

Pictures guy's, out with them.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation team. Eagerly waiting for the videos. Please upload it asap. Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks