Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2008, 11:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

@vinod: awesome videos..
Old 26th June 2008, 15:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

video from inside Gypsy

The following video was taken from inside the Gypsy as we were climbing the slope to the view point. It should give an idea of how bumpy the ride was due to the rocks/boulders.

There is another video showing all the off-roaders, starting with the OneTon®,climbing the slope to the view point : but is a very big file. I will try to upload it tonight.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 26th June 2008 at 15:37.
Old 26th June 2008, 18:49   #63
BHPian

It looks so much easier in the photos than I felt it was. In this photo too, it looks like the LC cleared a small incline. But actually it is straddling the second hump. If you look closely, you can see the metal of the right side wheel rim through the plants, which is much below normal with respect to the rest of the vehicle. The wheels are articulating so much that the LC looks to be on level ground.

Gears,
Red-One.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai Off-Road -- Kelambakkam Quarry 22-06-08-lc.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 11:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Great videos !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
ok guys,
here are the individual links
vinod_nookala, great videos (and with audio too!) , was able to see them yesterday night only at home : you have taken the videos at the first obstacle from the correct position : one can see the axle articulation of the off-roaders very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...BTW, my first time at that double hump in a CJ3B 2 years back..Mine was the only jeep that did NOT make it..hence maybe i have a grudge against that double hump!

My stock 540 with lousy tires made it easy in 2nd gear [4L] and was really happy that i picked up a good jeep!
so headers, you have now taken your revenge on the double hump with the MM540 . Amazing that the MM540 was able to do it so effortlessly in 2nd gear. I think that speaks for the amount of low-end torque in the 2.1 L engine.

This difference between the petrol and torquey diesels was very evident in this OTR. While all the diesel jeeps/LCs were crawling over the rocky terrain at very low engine RPMs (and low vehicle speeds as well) the petrol engined off-roaders (my Gypsy and the OneTon) had to be high-revved to be in the power band, and also the gear ratios made it go over certain obstacles much faster than I would want.

Guess this is an inherent feature : maybe , I will later on mod the t-case ratios to get an even lower speed in the 1st gear in 4L .

Any idea what engine is in the red Classic? The engine sound was different and seemed to be running at a lower idle RPM.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 27th June 2008 at 11:45.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

blue thunder,
The engine in red classic is stock 2.1 litre engine. The noise was from tappet and was knocking hard. May be sivkumar will rectify it sooner or later.
Old 28th June 2008, 08:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Guess this is an inherent feature : maybe , I will later on mod the t-case ratios to get an even lower speed in the 1st gear in 4L .
BT, your observation is 100% true. Now you know why my gypsy didnt make it for that OTR.

Please dont mod the t-case as this is a one off terrain. We are not gonna do it everytime. The engine's revability comes in helpful in Sand, Slush and while doing dunes etc. You will find the 540s struggle in sand as they have limited engine speed!

Ofcourse, this is Arka's favorite terrain:

This terrain gives us a nice insight into what we could do with our jeeps / gypsies and how to tackle basic obstacles.

Arka, why not we try to do some sand outing? Maybe Ennore ?

And Vinod has answered the strange noise of the classic!

Last edited by headers : 28th June 2008 at 08:39.
Old 29th June 2008, 00:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Videos again

Finally, I was able to upload the video of all the off-roaders climbing up the slope to the view point.

The OneTon® is first, followed by Arka's MM540. Notice the low engine noise of both the LCs.

The other videos are at YouTube - bluethunder2004's Channel

The second video shows headers and vinod_nookala in their MM540s.

Happy viewing
Old 29th June 2008, 12:03   #68
BANNED

Arka, good show on the 1 ton.
Old 30th June 2008, 15:11   #69
Senior - BHPian

blue thunder,

Nice videos of the climb:-)
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

BT, nice shot of the climb. Thanks for taking care of my kid up there. I was trying to call you from the base, couldn't get thru.
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
...Nice videos of the climb:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
...nice shot of the climb...
thanx , vinod_nookala and esteem_lover, the videos were taken by my cousin Karthi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
.... Thanks for taking care of my kid up there. I was trying to call you from the base, couldn't get thru.
even though Caleb (hope I got his name right) was unhappy when Major Roy told him to get down, it was the better thing to do. That stretch of the climb was a bit bumpy, and he could have hurt himself in the rough edges of the OneTon®'s cab.

The mobile network coverage is a bit erratic in that zone : sometimes on, sometimes off.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 2nd July 2008 at 15:57.
Old 2nd July 2008, 16:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
even though Caleb (hope I got his name right) was unhappy when Major Roy told him to get down, it was the better thing to do. That stretch of the climb was a bit bumpy, and he could have hurt himself in the rough edges of the OneTon®'s cab.
He wanted to rough it out - Sad, Major Roy asked him to get off. I'm sure there is a grudge on that one.

BTW, he told me that he wants to do the same course on a ferrari! I tried telling him that the car wont make it and he asks me "Why ?"..Well why not?

John, better start saving BIG time. Caleb seems hooked onto off roading and wants to do the same on a ferrari!

Well..i'm not the only one insane right?
Old 2nd July 2008, 16:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari ORVs ?!

Quote:
...John, better start saving BIG time. Caleb seems hooked onto off roading and wants to do the same on a ferrari!...
who knows...by the time Caleb gets his DL, Ferrari could be into making sports ORVs (Off Road Vehicles) .

Old 2nd July 2008, 17:11   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
John, better start saving BIG time. Caleb seems hooked onto off roading and wants to do the same on a ferrari!

Well..i'm not the only one insane right?
I need not bother as long as there is another insane around, he needs to just follow your footsteps.
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

headers - if an indica can go -then surely a ferrari can go!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks