Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 17:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pics Samurai. Heard about the treacherous stretch of water. Nice to see you got your feet muddy after getting the jeep. Cheers.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

beautiful report sharath. seems like you boys had a great event. I like the lunch break, but i also want the chicken biriyanis. slurp !!
Old 15th July 2008, 17:31   #18
BHPian

Excellent pics no issues viewing them, looks like a great weekend activity.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:48   #19
BHPian

Nice detailed report Samurai. You guys seem to have had a great time. Will wait with baited breath for rest of the story. In the meanwhile, khan_sultan and others, please post more pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Excellent report Samurai, is it just me or is there anyone else who cant see the pics. All i can see are the first five pics. After that i cant see any pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are all hosted on Team-BHP as attachments, is anybody else having the same problem?
Even I was not able to see many of the pictures. I had to right-click on each of the pictures and choose the "Show Picture" option in my IE browser for the pictures to show-up.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

At last, I can see all the pics.
Some adjustment on my laptop gone wrong which had to be rectified. Love the pics man. I wish I could be there.
Just waiting for my ride to get ready now.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
...I wish I could be there.
Just waiting for my ride to get ready now.
Gogi Bhai, You can for sure join the OTR's. In fact, there were jeepers who flew down all the way from Delhi. They were provided with jeeps to drive by our very friendly Jammy.

People had also come from Chennai for this..
Old 15th July 2008, 17:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics there and after seeing threads about this OTR from shahnawaz and samurai, the urge to join an OTR is taking precedence and am sure you guys would have room for a nerd like me for your next OTR. Keep the pics coming.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:09   #23
BHPian

Excellent stuff, looking forward to the rest of the report.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:02   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great report, Samurai! Superbly written. I can hardly wait for part two as we have covered only one difficult stretch yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I quickly stopped and checked the coolant level in the overflow tank, it was well above full. Then I opened the radiator cap and lots of coolant whooshed out. Well, that was a typical rookie mistake. So I added more water to make up for the loss. After some wait we continued again as we wanted to hit Madikeri before it got dark. But the engine started overheating again.
If your temp gauge is accurate, you need a brand new king size radiator. My 2.1 didn't overheat even with the air-con on. Priority no.1.

Quote:
We were woken up by loud banging at the door at 5:15AM and that repeated every 30 minutes to make sure we were out by 6:30AM.
Quote:
We had at least 3 rescue tractors and lots of other local enthusiasts who came to help and organise.
Reminds me so much of the Great Escape. Mr. Shrikant Karani ensured that everyone was out and ready on time. He was a fantastic organiser.

Quote:
A rare MM440 that runs on petrol and LPG belonging to Jammy Anand, from whom I bought my Jeep.
What engine is he running?

Quote:
The Pajero team was asked to leave the Pajero behind as the terrain would be impossible or damage the vehicle.
Typical problem of modern / expensive offroaders. You don't want to risk damage and big $ repair bills.

Quote:
4.) If I want to do serious off-roading I will mod a
tractor...they did not seem to have much trouble .
I couldn't agree more. Here's another picture where a tractor was performing rescue operations.
Attached Thumbnails
First offroading event with my Jeep: Coorg Jeep Thrills OTR 2008 Report-tractor-spot.jpg  

Old 15th July 2008, 19:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics Samurai, waiting for more.

Abhi
Old 15th July 2008, 19:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Amazing stuff
boy do I regret selling off my gypsy now
Old 15th July 2008, 19:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dont wana say much but I have already started to put some $$ aside to buy an offroader. Not sure which one would be the best but I guess I'd put my money on a CJ5 or a invader may be... By the way do we have invaders with 4x4 option as well???

Great experience Samurai, Im so jealous I cant xplain!!! Arrgghh!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 15th July 2008 at 19:30.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:14   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

wowowow...superb narrative and pictures. You guys sure did have fun. Waiting for post biryani run...
Old 15th July 2008, 20:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great write up sharat, sad to have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I have already started to put some $$ aside to buy an offroader. Not sure which one would be the best but I guess
If you want it cheap and reliable, go the gypsy way, if you want cheap and fun, go the jeep way, dont waste too much money on an offroader - you may not want to offroad after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

If your temp gauge is accurate, you need a brand new king size radiator. My 2.1 didn't overheat even with the air-con on. Priority no.1.

I couldn't agree more. Here's another picture where a tractor was performing rescue operations.
You dont need a big radiator if the current one is pucca! GTO, yours is a classic. It cannot be compared to the CJ3Bs apart from shape. The classics are engineered miles ahead of the CJ3B starting with the brakes, wipers, switches to name a few!

Also, tractors are great for rescue operations, but scary to do an offroad in as they tend to topple easily, very easily, the jeep is very forgiving for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
wowowow...superb narrative and pictures. You guys sure did have fun. Waiting for post biryani run...

You bet, we are all awaiting further narrative and pictures sharat, way to go.

Last edited by headers : 15th July 2008 at 20:33.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
4.) If I want to do serious off-roading I will mod a
tractor...they did not seem to have much trouble .
@DirtyDan: Try This one instead..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Pinzgauer videos

The pinzgauer is a high mobility vehice of Austrian origin. Its made in 4x4 and 6x6 models. Its basically a baby Tatra with portal hubs.

Pinzgauer 712K, UAZ-469, LR Defender off-road in Russia
Pinzgauer 710M climbing a...err wall

Most Viewed