Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 21:15   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I couldn't agree more. Here's another picture where a tractor was performing rescue operations.
That's a Mahindra brother helping another Mahindra brother.

Old 15th July 2008, 22:06   #32
BHPian

Damn..... Atleast 5 more guys will buy Jeep here
Old 15th July 2008, 22:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up on the event, Photos are really good...felt like I was there at the event. None of the vehicles were on proper Tires for this event [I think]. All the tire were ON/OFF road tires.at least in the photos.
I have video of grukha made for Indian Army doing thing which were more serious, I do not Understand why it got stuck. May be the driver was not doing it right way.
Old 16th July 2008, 00:00   #34
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing with excessive dots..........like............this. Thanks

Samurai.....just awesome man....i am waiting my jeep gonna come next week...

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2008 at 09:44.
Old 16th July 2008, 03:24   #35
BHPian

@ samurai some real off roading there..nice wite up and pics
Old 16th July 2008, 06:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with Dan. I'm just a wee bit surprised at only one (or two?) jeeps managing it!

With family in rural Haryana I've often seen tractors who'd typically cross streams alone (without winches et al) that would seem much bigger than this one. But very captivating set of photos. would be quite an interesting time to see everyone falter at the same hurdle
Old 16th July 2008, 09:46   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Come to think of it, I am not particularly fond of fording through deep streams. Even if a 4x4 does make it through, water going into your alternator and other parts can create havoc.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
@DirtyDan: Try This one instead..
Those Pinzgauers are amazing, especially the 6 wheel drives. A bit more expensive than a MM540 though.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:05   #39
Team-BHP Support

dirtydan, a tractor will do, but make sure you get one with diff locks.
They are slightly more expensive than the open diff version.
The open diff version at the farm often gets stuck while ploughing, esp if there are too many uneven surfaces.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:22   #40
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
None of the vehicles were on proper Tires for this event [I think]. All the tire were ON/OFF road tires.at least in the photos.
I think that's a very valid point. That said technique plays a huge role in all this too. Obviously the local gentleman has experience with the terrain to know he'd need some momentum to get through. In the end its a great fun activity and its all about being with likeminded people, learning from mistakes and enjoying the sport.

I too share GTO's view that deep water fording can severly damage your vehicle and its not worth the risk. Water inside your engine leads to bent connecting rods and smashed pistons!! I'd rather carry some rails to cross such streams!

Last edited by DKG : 16th July 2008 at 10:25.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Umbrella one is khan_sultans gypsy

The stream seems too narrow and deep, a longer chasis 4WD might have had better probability and did anyone try a diagonal crossover froma shallower point (walk through first on your legs to determine) ??

Last edited by dadu : 16th July 2008 at 10:34.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
dirtydan, a tractor will do, but make sure you get one with diff locks.
They are slightly more expensive than the open diff version.
The open diff version at the farm often gets stuck while ploughing, esp if there are too many uneven surfaces.
Yeah, I know. Does anybody make a 4x4 tractor in India? There are plenty elsewhere.

Actually I was quite impressed with the Mahindras. It is a lot to ask any vehicle of this size to get thru obstacles like the ones shown. Better tyres, more horsepower, diff locks and creeper gearing might beat these obstacles but all that stuff is expensive and you may have to import it. And, there is a reason the military puts winches on a lot of their vehicles. They expect difficulties and know that often 4 wheel drive is not enough no matter how it is configured.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Some thoughts,

3.) The Pajero wisely kept its locking diffs "in the rear with
the gear"
DirtyDan,

Good one. Dont have anything on the Pajero, just loved your creativity with english language.

Samurai,
Excellent photos and nice write up. Your description made gave me a feeling of actual experience, keep it coming.
Regards,
Deepak

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th July 2008 at 12:39.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:04   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Nice write up on the event, Photos are really good...felt like I was there at the event. None of the vehicles were on proper Tires for this event [I think]. All the tire were ON/OFF road tires.at least in the photos.
I have video of grukha made for Indian Army doing thing which were more serious, I do not Understand why it got stuck. May be the driver was not doing it right way.
Thats the first thing that came to my mind - TYRES. Most of them or the one's seen in the pics are on their last legs. No good when it comes to slush and wet mud. With that tread depth you will spin those whole day long on a grassy surface also over moss that grows on rocks during monsoons.

To all of us who look at that stream and think hey thats dosent seem to difficult - in real offroading sessions such streams are the major headaches. And i agree that rails should have been used after the first few vehicles got stuck. Dosent make sense to keep pulling everyone out knowing very well that the number of amateurs are more in number. But on another note, all those who got stuck had a very good lesson in off-roading.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:17   #45
BHPian

Looks like some serious fun in the mud. We should do something similar near Delhi.

Come on guys, next time no tractors allowed. That will make the event even more challenging and interesting.

Good as Gurka Trax is, it is tough sometimes to prevail over nature.

Samurai, nice coverage of the event with pictures and text.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks