Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 11:46   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Looks like some serious fun in the mud. We should do something similar near Delhi.
@Gaurav: Join the jeep_thrills yahoo group. There is a very active Delhi chapter of the jeep_thrills group and they got out for OTR's every month/fortnight.

You can get in touch with Sarvinder, Romi, Pushkin, Laxman of the Delhi Jeepers gang. They will love to have you as part of the gang. In fact Sarvinder & Romi had come to Coorg for this OTR all the way from Delhi.

PM me if you need any more info.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:48   #47
BHPian

Excellent coverage. Thanks for the snaps and writeup. I am sure you had fun.

My thoughts:

1. Most or all vehicles were not having off road tyres. They seemed to all be H/T version.
2. It was scary to see the number of people so close to the winching area. If the line had snapped, there would be a number of people injured.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:57   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
1. Most or all vehicles were not having off road tyres. They seemed to all be H/T version.
Not true. Maybe it is not evident from the pictures, but most jeeps had NDMS and A/T treads. I think of the 50+ jeeps, only very very few had H/T treads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
2. It was scary to see the number of people so close to the winching area. If the line had snapped, there would be a number of people injured.
Fully agree. It was a major exercise each time to warn people about the winch wire and possible danger of it snapping and hurting people.
Old 16th July 2008, 12:29   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yeah, I know. Does anybody make a 4x4 tractor in India? There are plenty elsewhere. .
4x4 tractor? Who said anything about that. I am talking about RWD tractor with locking DIFF.
I think Swaraj makes such a model for heavy use
Old 16th July 2008, 12:32   #50
BHPian

About the lines snapping while winching, there are some safety items available for this, made of rubber, or use a heavy blanket, these are looped on the winching line, so if it snaps, it can absorb the recoil energy, was this technique used? Didn't see it in pics.

This is very important, especially when we have lots of onlookers near by. One nasty incident is enough for our press and cops to brand this a dangerous activity.

had found a good article on it some time back. http://www.warn.com/corporate/images...US.readers.pdf

Hope the mods wont mind me posting the link, this is safety after all.

That rescue jeep from Mahindra, does it have HT tires? it looks like that from the PICs. How can Mahindra send one of their support jeep with HT tires for an off road event? Good you guys had arranged backup tractors.

Pls do not feel that its only negative comments, great effort guys, keep it going.

Have been seeing many nice / purposeful jeeps in Bangalore nowadays.
Old 16th July 2008, 12:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,
You always do something differant and we like it. I am sure, many bhpians are thinking about buying Mahindras for offroading and i am one of them. Pics are amazing.
Its differant.
I'm loving it.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

4wd tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
4x4 tractor? Who said anything about that. I am talking about RWD tractor with locking DIFF.

SAME tractors make 4wd tractors in india. I have seen couple of them in showrooms as well.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify SAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
SAME tractors make 4wd tractors in india. I have seen couple of them in showrooms as well.
OT :

For those who havent heard of this name, this is an Italian manfacturer of Tractors (SAME - Tractors) and it is pronounced SA-MAE.

They have a factory for manufacturing tractors in Ranipet, Chennai.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 16th July 2008 at 14:43.
Old 16th July 2008, 15:51   #54
BHPian

Samurai,
Any additional jeepers from Coorg apart from the guy in Willys, because based on my experience the local jeepers would have made it easier.
Old 16th July 2008, 16:22   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Off roading

Dear Samurai - hello - I spoke to Mr.Sudhir Kashyap today. I would have just loved to come. I used to have a CL340 MH01P2540 which had an ununequalled record of completing 27 Great Escapes without ever getting stuck (it was fully equipped to do only one and only thing and that was to go off-road). I used it in all events to pull out innumerable stuck vehicles. Unfortunately it has been sold now. I swear by the fantastic capability of MH01P2540.

Without it, I feel lost. Sigh !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th July 2008, 16:26   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Samurai - hello - I spoke to Mr.Sudhir Kashyap today. I would have just loved to come.
Dear Behram,

Our beloved Mr. Sudhir K talked about you in very high esteem. On how he and you worked together(although in different locations) and had several anecdotes to share about your & his escapades -- China, Sudan etc trips...

It was great hearing about all these things from such experienced person.
If you would have been there with him then it would have been cheers:...

Cheers,
Old 16th July 2008, 17:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me, I said anything about that. Just curious. I find them to be interesting pieces of machinery, that's all. Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
OT :

For those who havent heard of this name, this is an Italian manfacturer of Tractors (SAME - Tractors) and it is pronounced SA-MAE.

They have a factory for manufacturing tractors in Ranipet, Chennai.

And, thanks. I shall proceed with vigor forthwith to their web site.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:14   #58
Team-BHP Support

I just got back home, I'll try to update by tonight.

Meanwhile, I am surprised to see many comments about wrong tyres, and nothing could be further from truth. Almost all Jeeps had either all-terrain tyres or NDMS tyres which is great for slush. I remember only one classic that had HT tyre. In most photos the tyres are caked with mud in their deep treads, so it looks bald. Please don't assume these hard-core Jeepers are ignorant about tyres.

BTW, I am already getting PMs from members saying they are interested in buying a Jeep.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:15   #59
Team-BHP Support

DirtyDan, actually in a tractor with locking rear diff you can go literally anywhere.
Due to design of the tractor with huge rear wheels, there is no use having any additional drive to front wheels except in rare situations where there are ruts and inspite of turning the wheels the tractor keeps on going straight.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, I am already getting PMs from members saying they are interested in buying a Jeep.
Ok..Ok..Jeeps for Sale, Please contact xxxxx xxxxx

Quote:
DirtyDan, actually in a tractor with locking rear diff you can go literally anywhere.
Due to design of the tractor with huge rear wheels, there is no use having any additional drive to front wheels except in rare situations where there are ruts and inspite of turning the wheels the tractor keeps on going straight.
Sir, I diagree with you here, Theoritically I agree to you point, but the tractors with such high CG are very topple prone.

Agreed that the huge tyres and there ability to have such low engine speeds and torque are great for a quick tow, But if you want to do a 60 degree incline for say around 20m, you cant do it in a tractor.

Also, the front tyre construction of the tractor is to turn under any situation - Thats why the dual groves and no pads on the tyre. They can channelise anything in those grooves and turn the vehicle.

But they will be hopeless in driving [in case of 4wd] as they have no pads or webs like the rears.

Most Viewed