Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 11:18   #16
BHPian

That was just amazing.. I wish i could be a part of any such trips... Bangloreans please do give me a shout if anyone plans for one..
Old 18th July 2008, 11:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

wow, you sure had a fun time at Coorg Samurai. Seems like the Ruts were bête noire of the jeep!
Something with diff locks could have easily climbed out I guess!
Old 18th July 2008, 11:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

woooww,
You all were indeed in heaven....desperately we need such place to go offroading near chennai. As you rightly said this trail seems to be more interesting than coorg trail. Way to go samurai san!! Any videos?

Iam loving it!
Old 18th July 2008, 11:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Man, I need to hasten my plans for a gypsy (since I did not read them along with words like "problem").

A great trip indeed. You make it so lively. Thanks.
Old 18th July 2008, 11:34   #20
BHPian

AWESOME travelogue with some brilliant pics indeed.

At this rate, Samurai Sir - you could easily create a unique program comprising of a 3 night & 2 day package amongst the greens. With lessons in basic 4x4 exploration & digital photography rolled into one.

That will keep your weekend passion running & also impart knowledge to newbies like us.

Do visit this thought.

Regards & look forward for more.
Old 18th July 2008, 11:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... Seems like the Ruts were bête noire of the jeep!
Something with diff locks could have easily climbed out I guess!
ofcourse, 200 BHP + 400 KGm Torque + 33" tires + etc etc would also help

Buddy, that's the fun.. taking on the terrain with just the basic 4x4. what would be the fun otherwise...
Old 18th July 2008, 11:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

wow. and wow again.
you have had one heck of a weekend. if OTR was cake this was the icing. waiting for next adventure.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, I am wondering, would the GV had gone up the hill(with the metal skid plates and all)? I think you should take the GV also on some OTR trip(not so extreme, but something more tame)
Old 18th July 2008, 12:43   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Superbly written and photographed! Much appreciate your work on this. Having grown up on tea and coffee plantations around South India, I sure can appreciate all that you said about your feelings when enveloped by clouds.
It is truly an amazing feeling and somehow gives (some of us atleast) a sense of perspective about how small a human really is, in comparison to Nature. It also gives you an all pervading sense of peace.
How I wish one could get away from it all, back to the lap of Nature, accompanied by one's trusty steed!
Well done Samurai!
Old 18th July 2008, 12:47   #25
BHPian

Hey Nice pictures dude,I didnot curse in Tamil that was just Kiran and I having a heated argument about how to go about things in Tamil,obviously you didnot understand it either.lol.
cheers
Jammy

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th July 2008 at 13:06. Reason: quoting whole post removed for better readability
Old 18th July 2008, 13:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Samurai, I am wondering, would the GV had gone up the hill(with the metal skid plates and all)?
I feel it could have handled both days, but not without damaging the front and rear overhangs, that would taken a pounding and there is no skid plate protection there. That is a major concern while taking expensive SUVs off-road, damages. This is not something to worry about with basic Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Hey Nice pictures dude,I didnot curse in Tamil that was just Kiran and I having a heated argument about how to go about things in Tamil,obviously you didnot understand it either.lol.
From the distance that's how it looked, but everybody was smiling including Sarvinder.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Samurai - Lovely write up and pics as usual.

Quick question for the pics where the red jeep got stuck looks like it would have been better to just go off the trail there to the left.

I am just going by the pic, you were there. Do you think so?

The AP jeep looks clean and simple. Do you know the year of the 4x4 MM540?

Any videos, pretty please?
Old 18th July 2008, 13:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

A hauntingly beautiful spot, and I imagine it changes character as the light and clouds change. The big mountains up here change their personalities sometimes several times a day, smaller are no less intriguing and sometimes more intimate. I was born and raised in smaller ones and I still carry them with me.

I am wondering what is wrong with your cooling system. Weak water pump? Impeded flow somewhere? Radiator too small? Lazy coolant ? (I hate that, strong union.)

I may be obstinate but I still think these jeeps can be modded and made over to be stone cold freaking reliable. I want to drive and enjoy them, not skin my knuckles turning stripped bolts et cetera. Besides, you can get sweaty and dirty doing that mechanical stuff and who needs THAT?
Old 18th July 2008, 13:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post

Quick question for the pics where the red jeep got stuck looks like it would have been better to just go off the trail there to the left.
No. On the left was a huge ditch -- it's just not visible in the picture. Infact Sarvinder would have landed up there had we not stopped him

This was the only way -- slightly keeping to the right.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice photographs tagged along with the usually very well written report Samurai Sir!.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks