Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
True, however, you can circumvent that problem by carrying ground pegs though. Having said that I agree in soft desert sand that would be a nightmare trying to get a hold
Care to explain that DKG? You mean a peg hit on the ground can withstand the weight of the vehicle and help it winch itself out?
Old 4th September 2008, 09:58   #32
BHPian

Hey can you please post picture of your vehicle.
cheers
jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
You guys need to hear this.

Today finally i took the TD vehicle to the chennai coast line to find out what all this talk means in reality. So i took the risk of getting stuck in sand and getting blamed by the sales man for ruining the vehicle.

So today afternoon at 3.p.m i took the vehicle with Sales guy and the Driver to EC41 beach road and once we reached there i took the left into the service lane and found the right spot to slowly ease it into the sand, but to my surprise as soon as the vehicle hit the sand it slowed down like a tractor, it was sort of disappointing to see the power drop and the worse part was the vehicle bogged down into waste deep sand while attempting to climb a steep sand dune. I guess the mistake was mine to keep pushing the vehicle in slow speed and high rev over the sand while at the same time attempting to turn also. Sooner than i expected the vehicle sank into the sand and the wheels lost traction and started spinning, while the chase was comfortably seated on the sand like a turtle.

I could see the Sales man and the driver dreading the worse and got down to check whats happening and to my dismay a crowd also gathered around to laugh at my misfortune, hehe.. but i still had one option left that we all so like to talk about and was begging me to give it a try, enter the differential locks.

So we engaged the diff locks hoping it wont let us down atleast and i slowly eased the clutch and gave enough power for the Gurkha to move. Thats when i saw the drivers face light up as he said "go on go on don't stop" and i did, to my complete surprise the vehicle roared its way out of the sand in style. I never seen a vehicle stuck in such deep sand pull its self out by its own, i mean not even in Dubai with the rich shakes and their land rovers.

So once we where out and put a sock in the crowds mouth, i soon got a hang of the vehicle and started to floore it in 3rd gear on the sands! and she road pretty well, i mean better than a Gypsy or anything else available in India, i mean 76bhp is really good enough. I wonder whats all the fuss about having 300bhp under the hood when u cant wrestle your way out of the sand!!

The sales man was all smiles and bubbling with pride and literally started insulting me for doubting it in the first place.

So ya.. dont bother comparing it with anything else on road or off becoz they have a better cigrate lighter or a prettier dash board. Most 4wd take you far enough to get you stuck far away but its only the Gurkha that brings you back and takes you home.

So i am impressed and buying it tomorrow and the critiques can say what they want.. Cheers.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:35   #33

Hey Guys! Thought this should interest you. There's this old gentleman - Ex- Singapore Air Force, who's got a Judo, modified to a Gurkha. Met him. Drove the machine. Crazy stuff. Asked him if he's selling and - he is! Says he's too old to be driving(he's 71) it around. It's just 4 yrs old, custom made - since he was from the Air Force, and had contacts, army green, with a set of wheels imported from Singapore. The best part was the records. He is the most meticulous guy I've seen. He's filed even the tiniest bit of paper on the machine. Every single one (including the ones which he used in his research before buying it). He's firm on 4lacs for it. Told me to forget it if I can't pay that. I did. Just remembered it now! PM me if anybody's interested and I'll give you the number. Think it's not a good idea to have everybody calling the old man. Got some pics too.
Old 4th September 2008, 13:13   #34
BHPian

Bihoy Nair - Trying to send you a private message

Hey Bijoy,

Was trying to send you a private message to see if you could give me the pics and the number for the Gurkha. Not able to send any messages to you. So, if you read this, please do PM me.

Thanks,

Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy Nair View Post
Hey Guys! Thought this should interest you. There's this old gentleman - Ex- Singapore Air Force, who's got a Judo, modified to a Gurkha. Met him. Drove the machine. Crazy stuff. Asked him if he's selling and - he is! Says he's too old to be driving(he's 71) it around. It's just 4 yrs old, custom made - since he was from the Air Force, and had contacts, army green, with a set of wheels imported from Singapore. The best part was the records. He is the most meticulous guy I've seen. He's filed even the tiniest bit of paper on the machine. Every single one (including the ones which he used in his research before buying it). He's firm on 4lacs for it. Told me to forget it if I can't pay that. I did. Just remembered it now! PM me if anybody's interested and I'll give you the number. Think it's not a good idea to have everybody calling the old man. Got some pics too.
Old 4th September 2008, 13:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

What modification???

Quote:
...who's got a Judo, modified to a Gurkha. ....
Bijoy Nair, could you please explain that bit a little more? As I understand it, a Gurkha is a shorter wheelbase vehicle compared to the Judo...how was the modification done? Or, are you referring to a 2WD Judo being converted to a 4WD ?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 4th September 2008 at 13:50.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:13   #36

It came with a factory fitted 4X4. And an excellent one apparently. He's added the snorkel, fixed an a/c, good seats etc. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sand!-gurkha1.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sand!-gurkha2.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:18. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 4th September 2008, 15:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

looks nice, you could go for it. The price could be lower IMO, but nevertheless, the old man deserves it for maintaining the vehicle!
Old 4th September 2008, 15:31   #38
Team-BHP Support

Oh boy, I think this is the same Judo I saw in Brigade road in May. This one look much better in person, these photos don't do justice. But does it have diff locks?

PS: Singapore has an Airforce?

Last edited by Samurai : 4th September 2008 at 15:33.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:41   #39

Could be the same one. The only one of it's kind I've seen in Bangalore. No difflocks though. He says he considered it, but thought it's not needed(And, his research is quite through). He's been drivin it for four years and never felt the need he says. (I know what you're thinking. The old man probably never took it outta his garage na? He does some serious driving. Infact, he's got some contraption which becomes a tent on top. With a ladder. A comfy place for two while camping.)
Old 4th September 2008, 16:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... No difflocks though. He says he considered it, but thought it's not needed(And, his research is quite through)...
that is a bit of a dampener... I was just thinking now that 4 lakhs is a good enough price for the Judo with 4x4 (assuming that it had diff-locks). The diff-locks definitely help to make it unique in the Indian off-roading scenario.

Any idea what engine it has? the OM616 IDI Turbo or the Indian DI version?
Old 4th September 2008, 16:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Sure do samurai. They have a minimum set up of military too. All Singapore male residents are forced to do 2 years national service as well.

Sorry for going
Old 4th September 2008, 16:28   #42

Four years ago it came with OM616. That's what it has. And the engine is untouched. And diff locks are not really needed for it. Unless you're into some crazy off-roading. I mean would you wear oxygen masks while on your way to work. It helps, but is it really needed? I used to think the same - Diff-locks all the time. Drove the Gurkha 'with diff-locks'. Then asked myself - am I going to use it so often'. The answer was no. So does it make sense to pay around 9 lacs (ya, that's what a new Gurkha costs today) for it. The answer is no. Then again, it's very difficult to get a loan for a new Gurkha. Since most banks don't know the vehicle. I gave up. This I thought was a good alternative!
Old 4th September 2008, 23:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
...Any idea what engine it has? the OM616 IDI Turbo or the Indian DI version?
Quote:
Four years ago it came with OM616. That's what it has.....
Turbo or NA OM616 ???
Old 4th September 2008, 23:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

9 lakhs for the gurkha!! are you guys sure of that high a price?
Old 5th September 2008, 06:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

They have of the most advanced air forces in SE asia. the airforce boasts of f16s and also there is a whole squadron of F16s based in Perth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks