Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 13:16   #46
BANNED

I think 100% means a 45 degree gradient. So 78% would be ~35 degrees.
Old 30th July 2008, 13:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

This is entertaining reading.
Honestly guys, i dont know much bout all the 4wd jargon. For myself, I follow one policy very strictly. If i feel there is even a 1% chance that I can go through a particular terrain then off i go.
Sure vehicle weight , power, technicals etc make a difference but so does skill. So all said, a skilled driver will know his limitations and decide whether they exceed that of his vehicle or vice versa.(now this decision is based on guesswork judgement skill balls etc)
Ive driven a few offroad vehicles in true offroad terrain.
The pictures ive seen sure look fun but to decide on paper if one suv can make it or not based on theoretical technicals is a bunch of crap.
No one has seen all the vehicles in a shootout comparision but everyone has individual links to prove their point.
lets stik to the point of the thread as mentioned by > dicorex4x4.
Most of the above discussion is suitable for another thread.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:55   #48
BANNED

I thought a true 4x4 can go anywhere, isnt that why we have 4x4?

Whats is OTR for luxury 4x4? If you dont want to scratch, pain and harm your ride. Do what some of the folks including me are doing. Get 2 jeeps one for Off road other for on road. Samurai here has done that.

If you still want to go offroad with your luxury SUV's then try travesing the deserts in north India or the salt pans. Most of the terrain available in South India and Wetern parts of India is not "good" for the luxury super expensive SUV's.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:05   #49
Team-BHP Support

A 4x4 cannot go "anywhere". That stands true for Mahindras Gypsys etc,.
For example there are terrains where certain 4x4 trucks from Tatra can go but not a gypsy.
By your logic Gypsy and Mahindra guys should buy the truck from Tatra instead of choosing a less challenging trail.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Trucks or Tatras

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For example there are terrains where certain 4x4 trucks from Tatra can go but not a gypsy.
Can you elaborate on the terrain, truck are huge because they have a certain payload to carry does not make them more capable off-road.

The only obvious advantage they have is fording depth of 100cm-180cm unprepared.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:12   #51
BANNED

Quote:
By your logic Gypsy and Mahindra guys should buy the truck from Tatra instead of choosing a less challenging trail.
I dont know what to say man?

I think i have done a big mistake by saying "anywhere", yeah 4x4 cannot take me to Mars. Whereas a spaceship can. You are correct.

I rest my case. Throw in the towel and walk out.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:32   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Can you elaborate on the terrain, truck are huge because they have a certain payload to carry does not make them more capable off-road.

The only obvious advantage they have is fording depth of 100cm-180cm unprepared.
I am talking about those crazy czech trucks with monster wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I dont know what to say man?

I think i have done a big mistake by saying "anywhere", yeah 4x4 cannot take me to Mars. Whereas a spaceship can. You are correct.

I rest my case. Throw in the towel and walk out.
Well my point was that there are different terrains suitable for different class of 4x4s.
There are terrains which a gypsy may take but a 4x4 soft roader may not. Then there are terrains which a Jeep Humvee(army spec) can do but not a gypsy.
So what is wrong with having a "softer" off road adventure?
Old 30th July 2008, 17:39   #53
BANNED

Quote:
I am talking about those crazy czech trucks with monster wheels

Well my point was that there are different terrains suitable for different class of 4x4s.
There are terrains which a gypsy may take but a 4x4 soft roader may not. Then there are terrains which a Jeep Humvee(army spec) can do but not a gypsy.
So what is wrong with having a "softer" off road adventure?
We are talking about India no? Why compare Czech trucks? If they were available here at the price of MM540 DP i could have bought it and taken them offroad or climbed walls. If they cost me 20-30 lakhs, i will buy myself a MM 540 DP and leave the wall alone.

We are talking Indian terrain and i listed the "softer" offroad terrain above in my previous post where folks with expensive 4x4's can go. We in our smaller, cheaper MM's, CL's and CJ's can cross the deserts but we will probably die of the heat. So if you guys are looking for terrain suitable for luxury 4x4 see that it dosent scratch the paint.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

All 18 Holes

Quote:
So if you guys are looking for terrain suitable for luxury 4x4 see that it dosent scratch the paint.
How about the Golf Course all 18 Holes.

The Bunker should prove to be quite challenging.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire
Why compare Czech trucks? If they were available here at the price of MM540 DP i could have bought it and taken them offroad or climbed walls.
Come to chennai. I'll find you some russian trucks used by our army.
Would you like a Fire engine too?
Old 30th July 2008, 18:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Russian Trucks Like ?
BTW the Czech Tatra are being made by BEML in Trichy, Bangalore & Mysore.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:40   #57
BANNED

Quote:
I thought a true 4x4 can go anywhere, isnt that why we have 4x4?

Whats is OTR for luxury 4x4? If you dont want to scratch, pain and harm your ride. Do what some of the folks including me are doing. Get 2 jeeps one for Off road other for on road. Samurai here has done that.

If you still want to go offroad with your luxury SUV's then try travesing the deserts in north India or the salt pans. Most of the terrain available in South India and Wetern parts of India is not "good" for the luxury super expensive SUV's.
Spitfire, I cannot afford to have one more off-road vehicle.

I have asked for OTR events planned with SUVs in mind. Obviously a Jeep Thrills or similar event is planned with Mahindra UVs in mind.

That is the essence of this thread. I have no qualms in scratching my ride, which is why I have kept the stock body cladding. I do, however, not want to harm my ride by attempting a terrain obviously impossible.

I have no idea why some of you are being so sarcastic.

Last edited by dicorex4x4 : 30th July 2008 at 18:43.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post

The reason for the sarcasm is that the topic is again drifting into a 4wd comparision and abilities discussion with each trying to prove 'mr right'.
And when that happens the sarcasm is obvious and the original idea of the thread is lost in a different debate.
Enjoy.cheers:
Old 30th July 2008, 19:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have asked for OTR events planned with SUVs in mind. Obviously a Jeep Thrills or similar event is planned with Mahindra UVs in mind.

That is the essence of this thread. I have no qualms in scratching my ride, which is why I have kept the stock body cladding. I do, however, not want to harm my ride by attempting a terrain obviously impossible.

The jeep thrills' OTRs are just hardcore events. Its just that the jeeps do them easily.

For luxury 4x4s, the terrain that wouldn't damage the vehicle too much are :

1. Beaches : Some can get technical with dunes and dips. 4x4 can still get stuck in sand and that could be mildly challenging.

2. Desert dunes: Haven't done this. But, dune bashing is good fun from the middle east videos we've come across. But, i guess you need to live near rajasthan to do this. Or participate in Desert Storm '09

3. Dried river beds: This can be a little harsh on the vehicle with long overhangs. In the palar ,the complete spectrum of sand variety can be found. There are slushy sand sections, Soft sand and hard-like-stone sand sections. One should be careful if fording is required.
Old 30th July 2008, 20:15   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
How about the Golf Course all 18 Holes.

The Bunker should prove to be quite challenging.
That's hitting below the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Fire engine offroad what next?

Quote:

First - Apologies didnt mean to make anyone feel bad, just some friendly ribbing.

I have not been a part of any Jeep Thrills event yet. But from what i see they dont make it a Mahindra/Gurkha/Gypsy event only. If you have a capable 4x4, these OTR's shouldnt be a problem.

If you look at the jeepthrills site they have varied vehicles on their OTR's. Lot of luxury vehicles have also got stuck and have been winched/pulled out and bought safely back. Also from what i understand its totally a owners decision to take his vehicle where he wants to. The Jeepthrills guys knowing you(whether you are an amateur or an expert) will advise you whether or not you should take the course. Remember a Pajero kept behind for the Coorg OTR.

I didnt really get which SUV you own, but most of the SUV's sold in India are good for long distance cruising. They have not been built for offroading of the serious kind. Those that are good are the imported one's, if you break something on it then you are done for. Also someone said electricals.

About being paranoid about hurting your ride, its not only the Luxury SUV owners domain. I have seen guys with MM's, CL's and CJ's being worried about breaking their rides.

Again, try the open deserts, open salt pans these are equally taxing and fun.

Most Viewed