Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 14:12   #1
BANNED

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Talking about Bolero Commando, I didn't see a single Scorpio, Bolero or Safari in the Coorg OTR. I don't know whether they could have done it, but I didn't see anybody willing to try.
This is not a personal attack although it may come across as one. I'm clarifying in advance.

Samurai, why did you not take your GV for the Coorg OTR? Was it because of
1. the cost of repairs, should they arise?
2. the unavailability of your daily drive, should something go wrong?
3. your fear that the GV might not 'perform' (due to whatever reason - weight / angles / skid plates etc.)?

The reason I bring this up: I belive the current OTRs are all planned with M&Ms / Gypsys in mind. How about planning an OTR slightly more suited for SUVs such as GV / Safari etc.?
Old 28th July 2008, 14:21   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
The reason I bring this up: I belive the current OTRs are all planned with M&Ms / Gypsys in mind. How about planning an OTR slightly more suited for SUVs such as GV / Safari etc.?
Could you clarify on that bit? Does it mean driving through milder terrain?
Old 28th July 2008, 14:28   #3
BANNED

No, not milder terrain by itself.

This may be something for a different thread. All you folks who plan an OTR route, obstacles etc. - how do you go about it? Is it based on the vehicles at hand or find a great route and hope the vehicles make it?

Think about it this way - if there were a bunch of SUV (non M&M CL etc./ Gypsy) owners planning an OTR, would the planning be any different?

Last edited by dicorex4x4 : 28th July 2008 at 14:38.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You will be surprised to know that there are 'luxury OTR's' happening for the Pajero's, Landcruisers, Prado's etc etc... These are done for people with deep pockets and i have heard that even the entry fee is something like 10K -15K.

There was one such luxury OTR held in Coorg a week before the Jeep_Thrills OTR.

Last year, one such 'Luxury OTR' was held in Chikmanglur/Sakleshpur.

I can't comment on the terrain etc. as I have not attended such 'Luxury OTR's' for obvious reasons
Old 28th July 2008, 14:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai, why did you not take your GV for the Coorg OTR? Was it because of
1. the cost of repairs, should they arise?
2. the unavailability of your daily drive, should something go wrong?
3. your fear that the GV might not 'perform' (due to whatever reason - weight / angles / skid plates etc.)?
I thought my reasons were quite known, see the third paragraph in the first post of the following link. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...hp-family.html

Since Bolero/Scorpio/Safari are Indian products, they shouldn't suffer the CBU related problems and parts should be plenty much available as they are star sellers for their respective companies.

GV could have handled the Coorg OTR, but with massive damage on the front and rear bumpers, in addition to the scratches to the body on the sides.

But let's consider the cheaper Bolero, the topic is about a modded Bolero. What is the offroading potential of Bolero, how does it perform in Mahindra Great escape, I would like to hear from witnesses.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:41   #6
BANNED

Agreed Samurai, my question was directed at such owners and you were an example. Let me not derail this thread. I will, perhaps, start another one or find an appropriate thread to continue the discussion.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is the Safari a Soft-Roader?

From what I have seen in India, the Safari if very far from even the M&M Scorpio 4WD when it comes to off-road capability.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
From what I have seen in India, the Safari if very far from even the M&M Scorpio 4WD when it comes to off-road capability.
Very far which way, very far more capable or less capable off-road than the Scorpio? And, why? More words on this, if you please.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:59   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

didnt understand you - according to you, which 4x4 is better in terms of off road capability - Safari 4x4 or Scorpio 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Old 28th July 2008, 15:05   #10
BANNED

Planning OTRs

I believe the current OTRs are all planned with M&Ms / Gypsys in mind. How about planning an OTR slightly more suited for SUVs such as GV / Safari etc.?

How are OTRs planned? Are they planned keeping current vehicles in mind? Or find a great route and hope the vehicles make it through?

Mods: started a new thread as I didn't want to derail the discussion on the Bolero Commander.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:19   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
didnt understand you - according to you, which 4x4 is better in terms of off road capability - Safari 4x4 or Scorpio 4x4
Between Safari 4x4 and Sorp 4xr i guess Arka's choice would be Scorp.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually a team does a recee of the spot before the actual OTR and also keeps the avg. participating vehicle in mind.

Apart from the spot, the complete trail is identified as to from where people will start and where it will end.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

You mean like Special Olympics?

Meanwhile I have compared the offroad ability of GV and Jeep in my office backyard. An obstacle that takes careful consideration and planning in a GV doesn't even warrant a glance in a Jeep. While off-roading, it is actually ridiculous how superior Jeep turns out be when compared to the GV. It takes a complete swing to the other extreme once we get on-road on even bad-roads. Or bad-roads I rather be on GV than Jeep, since the GV simply glides over pot-hole undulations with superb ride comfort, while the Jeep gives too much feedback.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Very far which way, very far more capable or less capable off-road than the Scorpio? And, why? More words on this, if you please.
Off-Road the Safari is no match for the Scorpio.

The Scorpio is much better off-road

Regards,

Arka.

PS - DirtyDan....another e-lynching

----

The first set of pictures are from 2005.

S. Ravichandran joined us in his Scorpio 4WD and came to be known as Scorpio Ravi in JEEPTHRILLS and in Dec. 2005 bought an Original Ex-Airforce CJ3B.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-04.jpg  

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-05.jpg  

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-12.jpg  

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-16.jpg  

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-17.jpg  

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-45.jpg  

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-47.jpg  

Planning OTRs for Luxury SUVs-53.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2008 at 06:07. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 28th July 2008, 16:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

Scorpio has open diffs for front and rear, and safari has a LSD rear diff.
So why is the scorpio better. Its lighter and has a smaller turning radius, so that may help in terrains pictured above, but won't a LSD quipped safari be a better bet on snow/slush kind of terrain.
Maybe even the approach angle is better too, but we will never know because Mahindra won't tell us much about the specifications in the brochure.
Safari has 78% gradability in 4x4, what does it mean?

As for special terrain for "Luxury SUVs", I guess rather than milder terrain it means terrain where chances of hitting body panels is minimal. For example, river crossings, swamps, mud roads, wet grass up gradient.
When we used to have the gypsy once we severly scratched the side panels at a stretch where a M800 was able to go without touching the bushies.

Most Viewed