Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 15:33   #1
BHPian

The 42nd Mahindra Great Escape

Well heres a pictorial of the 42nd Mahindra Great Escape held at Shahapur off the Mumbai Nasik Highway. It was my first fling at serious off roading and everything else that I had done before it seemed like a cakewalk.
please note that these photos do not do justice to the event coz in a lot of the challenging sections my friends Siddesh and Don (who have taken these photos) were bouncing off the seats in the Scorpio, unable to get the shots.

more to be added awaiting approval from moderator to continue posting on this thread
Old 30th July 2008, 15:41   #2
BANNED

Were 2WD vehicles allowed?
Old 30th July 2008, 15:46   #3
BHPian

yes they were and a lot of the guys had to winched out.
my own 2wd had a tough time and momentum was the name of the game
Old 30th July 2008, 15:47   #4
BHPian

Sorry, only locally hosted images are allowed. Check the forum rules. - Mod team

Read this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

Last edited by Samurai : 30th July 2008 at 15:53. Reason: externally hosted images removed
Old 30th July 2008, 15:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Were 2WD vehicles allowed?
I see many Scorpios in the pics, how to make out whether they are 4WD, is there some 4x4 sticker or logo?
Old 30th July 2008, 15:49   #6
BHPian

to the mods
ok i am not a pro at forum posting and this awaiting approval has me quite perplexed coz i cant see the thumbnails here while they are working fine on another forum???
Old 30th July 2008, 16:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
to the mods
ok i am not a pro at forum posting and this awaiting approval has me quite perplexed
Hey Rohan, welcome to Team BHP, nice to see you here! Well, the easiest way to get around this is to complete 50 posts (sensible posts of course) and then you're no longer a newbie so no waiting for approvals!

Nice pics by the way
Old 30th July 2008, 16:08   #8
BHPian

woow ok i guess i'll have to work on it

thats my scorpio in the foreground with a 4wd in the background

will post videos they are currently being uploaded
Old 30th July 2008, 16:09   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

4WD Scorpios have a small metallic decal on the rear tail gate. They also come with the Pintle Hook at the rear and a differently shaped rear bumper (to accommodate the pintle hook mounting).

Only if there are pix of the rear of some of the participating Scorps, will one be able to figure it out and this, provided the decal is not completely obscured by mud and muck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I see many Scorpios in the pics, how to make out whether they are 4WD, is there some 4x4 sticker or logo?
Old 30th July 2008, 16:16   #10
BHPian

the front wheel hubs in 4wd scorpios are probably one of their most distinctive feature.
and the tiny 4x4 badging at the rear plus the points mentioned by shankar. balan
Old 30th July 2008, 16:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Do I see an antenna placed square in the middle of that black Scorpio's bonnet? Somebody hailing passing spacecraft?

Welcome to the site, Off Roadie. Judging from the last photos of the Coorg off road event, a marine engineer may have been of some assistance getting those boys out of the soup.

You could go to "A Collection of the Best Threads" and post your opinion on such pithy topics as "What song do you listen to while you are daydreaming about Angelina Jolie." This will up your post count and deliver you faster out of the nether regions of the 'Newbie" sub-humanoids, but that would be devious and dishonest and nobody ever does that, ha, ha, ha.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:43   #12
BHPian

thats an official car with radio antennas for co-ordination with the support team.
the event was one big slush fest and a lot of 2wd's were getting stuck. it took us 3.5 hours to finish 22 kms. and my car was in the first bunch that made it thru, actually the last in the first bunch coz the second set of cars arrived more than an hour after i did.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:43   #13
BHPian

Hey Guys the Mahindra Legend pulling out the No 11 Red Scorpio belongs to Tbhpian abhilashn.

Last edited by egangsta : 30th July 2008 at 16:47.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:49   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
yes they were and a lot of the guys had to winched out.
my own 2wd had a tough time and momentum was the name of the game
Why does Mahindra call it 4x4 Adventure then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Like Shankar and OffRoadie explained. Also the front hubs are extended on the 4x4, you cant have the Scorpio plastic wheel caps on the 4x4 version. So if they have the wheelcaps they are 2WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Do I see an antenna placed square in the middle of that black Scorpio's bonnet? Somebody hailing passing spacecraft?

Welcome to the site, Off Roadie. Judging from the last photos of the Coorg off road event, a marine engineer may have been of some assistance getting those boys out of the soup.

You could go to "A Collection of the Best Threads" and post your opinion on such pithy topics as "What song do you listen to while you are daydreaming about Angelina Jolie." This will up your post count and deliver you faster out of the nether regions of the 'Newbie" sub-humanoids, but that would be devious and dishonest and nobody ever does that, ha, ha, ha.
I fell off my seat reading that. Hope the message gets across.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why does Mahindra call it 4x4 Adventure then?
How many 4WD scorpio/Bolero does mahindra sell anyway? If they restrict it to only 4WD, only MM550, CJ340s and Classics will come. Mahindra uses this event to showcase their current products, not discontinued ones.

Most Viewed