Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2008, 16:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

CJ340 conquers the hill...

It was my bogeyman, like a personal demon. The Gurkha had failed to climb it even halfway in bone dry weather, the street tyre could have been the culprit. The GV almost did it with highway tyres, but the reduced break-over angle due to lowly placed skid plates did it in. The GV rear fiber bumper got cracked in this process. So here it was, an off-road obstacle, un-conquered, right in my office backyard.

Those of you who are unfamiliar with story, read it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...goes-sour.html

After I got the CJ340, I have often visited this incline and wondered. Should I try it again with the CJ340, can it be done? Since I have developed a healthy fear towards this incline, I didn’t want to take it on lightly. I am generally a cautious person, not the kind who would jump first and then look for a parachute. So I decided to wait until I am sure. After the Coorg OTR experience, I could see this incline in a new light. I was almost sure I had climbed similar inclines in Coorg if not higher. And the Coorg OTR experience had given some insight into how to tackle such an incline. Max torque is not always the answer, often momentum can achieve what torque cannot.

A shot from March, taken the next day of the failed attempt.

Now, don’t judge it by the image. Any seasoned off-roader (even though I am not) can tell you, you can’t judge an off-road obstacle without standing there in person. Photographs can flatten the image in ways you can’t imagine.
So it was time to put the new lessons into practice. Yesterday I decided to take the bull by the horn, succeed or fail in the process. As we reached the office, I found one of my engineers (Uday) at his desk. Uday wasn’t working, we don’t work weekends unless there is real emergency. He was watching a DVD, we don’t have much in the name of entertainment around these parts. So I called him to join us as the sole audience and videographer.

After looking at the incline for last time, I decided to use 2nd low to get a good mix of torque and speed.

Coming towards the incline.

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091375.jpg

Ready to take on the personal demon. You can see the tracks made by GV in March.

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091376.jpg

Here we go.

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091377.jpg

Almost there, loose mud at the ridge, wheels spinning, mud flying…

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091379.jpg

Then I get through with little drama. Hurrey!

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091380.jpg

Now I turn around, time to descend. I decide to stick to 2nd low since it gives decent descent control.

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091383.jpg

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091385.jpg

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p8091387.jpg

Here are the videos:

It was almost an anticlimax. The CJ340 took on the incline so easily, I didn’t know what to say.

Now my wife wanted to ride shot-gun.

This time it was easier, no spinning of wheels. Now I gave the same trip to the offroad newbie Uday. He was quite petrified at the experience, it took him good 30 minutes before he admitted it could be fun.

Later I wanted to try the smaller hill which GV always climbed without failure. In GV I had to climb it with good speed to compensate for low-end torque. Today I wanted to try it slowly with the Jeep. Guess what, low-torque is not the answer for everything. CJ340 got stuck spinning the wheels, I had to backup. Next I tried with 3rd low, and I got through in style.

While trying to climb the last one, we had to stop because Uday spotted a snake in my path. Since my dSLR was packed away, I took this using the Ultra-compact P&S.

CJ340 conquers the hill...-p1000195.jpg

It didn’t want to hang around too long to watch the off-roading. Since the Sun is usually absent these days, and the grass is all wet due to constant rains, it is common to see snakes in the open in daylight.

So that was a successful end to this story. The incline that convinced me to buy the Jeep was finally conquered by the CJ340, in the very first attempt, and the next and next…

PS: The day was still young, and this is what we did next: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-part-ii.html

Last edited by Samurai : 11th August 2008 at 09:05.
Old 10th August 2008, 16:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, kudos for slaying the deamons.. So you not missing an opportunity to put the 340 to test.

I agree with you on the momentum & torque part and at times its the momentum that just takes you through and in the wrong gear, even the 340 can get stuck.

A nice and short OTR session you had there.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th August 2008 at 16:29.
Old 10th August 2008, 16:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Samurai. You are now officially over the hill!
Old 10th August 2008, 16:34   #4
BHPian

Great pics And good you finally achieved it,I am sure it is a good feeling.
Old 10th August 2008, 17:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Man you have become one desparate off roader. Way to go man!!
Love the soft top on your jeep. Is it the same as on the classic?
Old 10th August 2008, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

American Indians (aboriginal people) believe that every man has a personal spirit or protector he can call upon in times of trial. Yours is either a snake or a CJ340, methinks.

Pretty d*mned impressive, actually. I am wondering how you would do with more torque, a bigger engine than your 2112cc. Better, but by how much? Just musing on it.
Old 10th August 2008, 19:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai...thinking of doing again in GV?? I am sure all your OTR lessons would be of help ;-)
Old 10th August 2008, 19:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

Good show. Next time why not try a diagonal climb?
Old 10th August 2008, 19:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samurai, So you finally conquered the hill

Three cheers to the Jeep Hip Hip Hurray
Old 10th August 2008, 19:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Diagonal climb?. Maybe it's not apparent from the pictures but can imagine based on Samurai's description that taking a diagonal climb could be a recipe for toppling over and the start of a new thread from Samurai.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th August 2008 at 19:48.
Old 10th August 2008, 20:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Love the soft top on your jeep. Is it the same as on the classic?
Thanks, it was custom made in Bangalore, ask member MM440 (Jammy) about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Pretty d*mned impressive, actually. I am wondering how you would do with more torque, a bigger engine than your 2112cc. Better, but by how much? Just musing on it.
I don't have the answer for that, I really don't know. I am sure Team-BHPians can speculate over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Samurai...thinking of doing again in GV?? I am sure all your OTR lessons would be of help ;-)
I have put together the rear bumper with much difficult using thermocol, etc. Don't want to crack it again. Now I know how to do it with the GV though, I should have tried 2nd low instead of 1st low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
That would be suicidal Rudra, it would rollover as Shanawaz said. The diagonal technique works only for tiny hills where the leading wheels would go over the other side before it tips over to this side.
Old 10th August 2008, 20:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice! I see some bluish white smoke when you nailed the gas. Maybe time for a health checkup.
Old 10th August 2008, 20:46   #13
BHPian

Conclusion is:

CJ3B / CL340 / MM440 / short wheelbase flatfender Jeep is the best.

Nice write up!

P.S. Don't do a diagonal climb. That is just a dumb idea that might end up in a roll and injuries. Climbs / descents should always be done head on.
Old 10th August 2008, 20:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra
Next time why not try a diagonal climb?
It isn't recommended to cross an obstacle at an angle other than 90 degrees.
If it gets wrong, the vehicle will topple easily. especially a SWB jeep.
Old 10th August 2008, 23:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats saab. You have a PM waiting for you

edit: is that white smoke I see? not black? All ok?

Most Viewed