Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 14:37   #31

ASHISHPALLOD -ji, I just figured out how you got your yen for off-roading, even with a car. I just drove from Baramati to Ahmadnagar. The entire stretch was "Off-road"
Old 18th January 2009, 06:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hmm, a simpler/cheaper option is to take your bike and do a good portion of the same terrain TILL you can afford a 4x4. To see and observe in the backseat in the meanwhile.

/I personally am completely against trying someone elses' vehicles given how it can cost a bundle for someone else.
Good point. However, doing what is to be done by a 4wd jeep on a 2 wheeler is suicide unless you are an ex raid de himalaya champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Very good sum up. I dont know about others, but I learnt a lot during the first experiance.

One good lesson was, I was always thinking of taking / avoiding the bumps but trying to take the wheels ways from the bumps and make sure its in between the 2 wheels. But in OTR its diff. You need to take the wheel on the bump so you get good clearance of the hinderance from the underbody and hence avoid any damage.

Hearing this would be different than actually sitting and watching the fellow riders guiding the drivers on those terrain. Inspite of this, I had seen one or two that get hit in the under body.

keep it coming K_S. Seems there is a teacher coming out to answer our quesitons. Good inituative. I wish one day I will full-fill my sons dreams of owning a Gypsy
How about this one? You are coming down a slope and your jeeps torque is more higher than you expected and you move quicker than you would like to. So you brake. In a regular car you would clutch too, an action our subconscious mind takes over. Wrong in a jeep. The engine will never stall on 4wd. So no need to brake. Worse case if you do? Brakes fail, jeep stalls , you keep clutching and braking, and you hurtle to infinity. I think this is the most dangerous, simple, yet most important lesson for newbies to take when moving over from 2wd to 4wd driving. Driving 4wd is akin to unlearning 2wd.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Good inputs danlalan. Thanks for sharing them here.

Can you share more from the perspective of a person 'who doesn't have a 4x4 and is accompanying 4x4 enthusiasts for an OTR'.
This way lots of folks here who DON'T have a 4x4 and want to go along on an OTR with a 4x4 owner can get a feel of what to expect and watch out for and how to get 'introduced to this adventure sport called off-roading.

Things that you mentioned; such as "winch, shovel, Diff Guards, Spare tire and puncture kit etc..." are things that the 'accompanying' person would NOT bother about. These are for the 4x4 owners/off-roaders to worry about -- nevertheless these are important points.

Keep your inputs flowing here.
Dear Sultan,

If you want an 2x4 to go for offroading make sure that u have a 4x4 with you. futher you must carry a good two rope to pull you out incase you get stuck. A good tow rope costs about 300/- in mayapuri.

Make sure that you have a working pillon hook and other u hooks if possible a rino hook installed in both jeeps. They will be used frequently in offroading.

When on track you would be able to do most of the climbs if you keep your momentum and accelarion constant. Pls do not try slush and deep water you will surely get stuck.

If you enjoy offroading a 4x4 can be installed in a Jeep at a cost of arounf 19000/- I got it done in my 2x4 540. And it functions well on the offroading we do in NIOC and belive you me it is hardcore.

I have done Great escape in chandighar and a rally in Jaipur they are cakewalk for us. Ankit and harjeev would agree on that.

Enjoy offroading like we say

"Offroading gives a better high than any single malt"

regds
Amit
Old 19th January 2009, 13:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

i plan to take off road driving lessons before i buy a 4x4 off road capable vehicle in india/dubai.

cheers:
Old 19th January 2009, 13:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Dear Sultan,

If you want an 2x4 to go for offroading make sure that u have a 4x4 with you. futher you must carry a good two rope to pull you out ...
Ok sir. Next time I will take a 4x4 along with me and also two ropes

Quote:
..When on track you would be able to do most of the climbs if you keep your momentum and accelarion constant.
Ok sir. Will do as suggested. One question sir, which would be more important: momentum or acceleration? Any tips on how to keep them constant?

Quote:
Pls do not try slush and deep water you will surely get stuck.
Ok sir. Will not do.

Quote:
...I have done Great escape in chandighar and a rally in Jaipur they are cakewalk for us. ...
You are an expert sir and I am still learning.

BTW, I have seen pictures of the terrain in NCR OTR's and must say that I am scared of what you all do there sir. I would not even dream of doing it sir -- it's soooooooooooo tough.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th January 2009 at 13:18.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sultan,

If you want an 2x4 to go for offroading make sure that u have a 4x4 with you.

regds
Amit
Hahahaaaa....

Dear Amit, Please go through Mr. Sultan's Gypsy thread from top to bottom to know what kind of machine he has with him

sali

Last edited by Salikt : 19th January 2009 at 14:29.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ok sir. Next time I will take a 4x4 along with me and also two ropes
Quote:
....You are an expert sir and I am still learning
Quote:
...BTW, I have seen pictures of the terrain in NCR OTR's and must say that I am scared of what you all do there sir. I would not even dream of doing it sir -- it's soooooooooooo tough...
Oh Khan,
you are such a mischievous person!!
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 14:59   #38
Team-BHP Support

Tusker4x4, kindly read the entire thread before you reply. You have been teaching Offroading 101 to khan_sultan who has probably more than 50 offroading events under his belt. His gypsy is probably the most unique in the country in it's offroading ability.

You have been preaching to the Bishop, if not the Pope.

PS:With constant acceleration, even the Jeep will reach infinite speed.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sultan,

If you want an 2x4 to go for offroading make sure that u have a 4x4 with you. futher you must carry a good two rope to pull you out incase you get stuck. A good tow rope costs about 300/- in mayapuri.

Make sure that you have a working pillon hook and other u hooks if possible a rino hook installed in both jeeps. They will be used frequently in offroading.

When on track you would be able to do most of the climbs if you keep your momentum and accelarion constant. Pls do not try slush and deep water you will surely get stuck.

If you enjoy offroading a 4x4 can be installed in a Jeep at a cost of arounf 19000/- I got it done in my 2x4 540. And it functions well on the offroading we do in NIOC and belive you me it is hardcore.

I have done Great escape in chandighar and a rally in Jaipur they are cakewalk for us. Ankit and harjeev would agree on that.

regds
Amit
Sir

Would you be available for overseas classes as well? Or can you provide consulting services in this field for users abroad?

Your knowledge should not be constrained by the boundaries of the country.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:05   #40
abk
BHPian

@ khan_sultan, Salikt, Kandisa, Samurai, Steeroid:
Your comments cracked me up completely
However, on second thoughts, Amit please continue to enlighten us. Am sure I can learn much more than thing or two from your experiences. Just a friendly advice though: The gurus disguise themselves at times.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:19   #41
BHPian

Excellent post Shanawaz. With the growing interest in off road events and jeeps there are a lot of novices out there who do not have any off road experience. I have owned my gypsy for 13 years but never did anything like we do at the NIOC. Amit (tuskar 4x4) and other senior memebers are very helpful.

@tuskar4x4 - Khan_Sultan is Shanawaz Khan from the JeepThrills chapter. You would have exchanged emails with him on the Jeepthrills forum. He is a very experienced driver.

It would be great if both of you could share some tips with the newbies.

P.S. - I agree that no tip can replace the actual experience and learning at the OTR itself.

Thanks Guys, HAPPY JEEPING!cheers:

Last edited by GoSlow : 20th January 2009 at 11:21.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:44   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Sir

Would you be available for overseas classes as well? Or can you provide consulting services in this field for users abroad?

Your knowledge should not be constrained by the boundaries of the country.
Dear Sir,

I am a beginner but definately enjoy offroading. I have stared about 8 months back. So i cannot teach. What I mentioned was how I got started. So that a beginner should not get discouraged when he has a 2x4 Mahindra Jeep like I had.

The sources I mentioned are where I got my things from. Your experiences will be far more than me.

I have slowly grown in knowledge of offroading by learning through my seniors in our group. They have been very patient teachers. I still have a long way to go.

Regds

Amit
Old 26th January 2009, 22:35   #43
BHPian

Dear Khan Sultan/Shanawaz,

I did not know it was you. The I did posted the thread as per how i got inducted in offroading.

In south you guys are blessed with amazing terrains.

regds

Amit
Old 27th March 2011, 12:27   #44
BHPian

Re: Off-Road Adventures: How to get started without a 4x4

Folks this is one great thread for newbies like me. Infact I am just another person who has a car. No 4X4 experience, never attended any OTR, but always interested in buying a SUV and doing some off roading, in short a wannabe. This thread is boosting my spirits. I now have to find a 4X4 group in chennai and request to let me in. While there is some time for me to buy a 4X4, I can start with taking pictures and getting acquainted to 4X4 before finally jumping into off roading. Veterans please advise if this seems to be a right approach. If you know any oof roading group in chennai, please direct me to them.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:34   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: Off-Road Adventures: How to get started without a 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
I now have to find a 4X4 group in chennai and request to let me in. While there is some time for me to buy a 4X4, I can start with taking pictures and getting acquainted to 4X4 before finally jumping into off roading. Veterans please advise if this seems to be a right approach. If you know any oof roading group in chennai, please direct me to them.
Finding a 4x4 group in Chennai can be very challenging... ...if you lookup yellow pages or newpaper ADs.

On the other hand, you can attend the Jeep Thrills event on 2nd April mentioned here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...bing-more.html (Jeepthrills 6th Anniversary celebrations! OTR, Garage session, rock climbing and more)

PS: Did you know Chennai is the birthplace and HQ of Jeep Thrills?

Last edited by Samurai : 27th March 2011 at 12:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks