Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 12:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Off-Road Adventures: How to get started without a 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Finding a 4x4 group in Chennai can be very challenging... ...if you lookup yellow pages or newpaper ADs.

On the other hand, you can attend the Jeep Thrills event on 2nd April mentioned here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...bing-more.html (Jeepthrills 6th Anniversary celebrations! OTR, Garage session, rock climbing and more)

PS: Did you know Chennai is the birthplace and HQ of Jeep Thrills?

Thanks Samurai, for the info. As I said am a newbie and a wannabe off-roader so absolute no knowledge. I knew there were biking off roading clubs in chennai. Did not know its the HQ of Jeep thrills. I am just starting to dig the threads at TBHP and write a few travelogues. Just getting started.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:55   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
Thanks Samurai, for the info. As I said am a newbie and a wannabe off-roader so absolute no knowledge. I knew there were biking off roading clubs in chennai. Did not know its the HQ of Jeep thrills. I am just starting to dig the threads at TBHP and write a few travelogues. Just getting started.
Back in 2007, I visited Chennai to learn offroading at AAO-K. (Arka Academy of Offroading-Kelambakkam)

This is the training day thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...am-quarry.html (Report - Offroad Training Day at Kelambakkam Quarry)
Old 27th March 2011, 13:13   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Back in 2007, I visited Chennai to learn offroading at AAO-K. (Arka Academy of Offroading-Kelambakkam)

This is the training day thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...am-quarry.html (Report - Offroad Training Day at Kelambakkam Quarry)

Oh Yes I read this thread. Its amazing. I am planning to attend the garage session on 2nd April. I have my folks visiting me after a long time, so I wont be spared fo two days :(. I will make it to the garage session. Its walkable from my place. hardly 1.5 kms. Looking forward to meet you all.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:29   #49

Dear Shahnawaz,

I had reached out to you over mail a few months ago regarding the OTR's. I am unable to reach you on the same mail Id. Since I cannot send you a PM, Please PM me your current coordinates where I could reach you.

Cheers!
Old 6th September 2011, 22:27   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulforged View Post
Dear Shahnawaz,

I had reached out to you over mail a few months ago regarding the OTR's. I am unable to reach you on the same mail Id. Since I cannot send you a PM, Please PM me your current coordinates where I could reach you.

Cheers!
Please check this thread for the next OTR planned in Bangalore

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...-sarjapur.html

You can hook up with someone & attend. I may not be in town to attend this one.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 00:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Delhi NCR folks are welcome to join us at NIOC - North India Offroad club join us at the yahoo group there's a Jaipur chapter as well and soon some stuff will start happening in Allahabad.
Old 7th September 2011, 07:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, now I remember seeing this. This part was available for GV in some web site.
Link?? Have you brought one??
Old 12th September 2011, 12:21   #53
BHPian

Excellent Thread.... very informative...

I would like to add is that we have had members buying a newly made up vehicle and landing up on an OTR the very next day.... most often than nt they are not aware of the gears and also the 4x4 usage.

1. Familiarization with the vehicle :I would suggest that before going offroad a person should familiarize him self with the vehicle completely... is the Gears, 4x4 leaver usage and make sure the vehicle is in perfect running condition.

2. Rhino Hook : I always suggets installation of a Rhino hook on the front bumpers... this helps a long a lot in recovery of the vehicle as the D shackles need not be used in it.

3. Team Activity : Offroading is not about competition. It is about Team effort. We suggest not to try difficult stuff when you are alone. Must have 2 to 3 vehicles while going offroading. As if you get stuck you need another vehicle to pull you out.

4. Do Not panic: Newbies panic when stuck.... as you seniors to help out... stay clam you will be recovered.

5. Misconception: Driving on kachha track is not offroading. Doing obstacles is offroading.

6. Listen to experienced offroad drivers: Ask about the gears you need to use for an obstacle... there is no substitute to experience in offroad... no amount of bookish knowledge will help in some situations.

Regds

Amit
Tusker4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 12:33   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Link?? Have you brought one??
No, we both made our own custom stuff, didn't we?
Old 12th September 2011, 21:35   #55
BHPian

"He owns 3 Jeeps (MM540, Armada & CJ340), all are 4x4s and are prepared by him. ....confessed to me that he doesn’t have a clue about offroading...
A person owning 3 jeeps and yet 'honestly' confessing that he had no clue about off-roading."

Dear Shahnu,
I own that deadly combination,hope I am not being discussed here.

Refering to your first post in this thread,was wondering who the lady jeeper is who does tough OTR trails.

Andy

Last edited by Grace : 12th September 2011 at 21:36.
Old 13th September 2011, 00:51   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
"He owns 3 Jeeps (MM540, Armada & CJ340), all are 4x4s and are prepared by him. ....confessed to me that he doesn’t have a clue about offroading...
This line was written by me 3 years back in another thread. Why are you quoting it here? It was Sachin, not you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Refering to your first post in this thread,was wondering who the lady jeeper is who does tough OTR trails.
Must be Sapna Gurkar, who is a member here.
Old 13th September 2011, 21:08   #57
BHPian

"This line was written by me 3 years back in another thread. Why are you quoting it here? It was Sachin, not you."

1. Had not seen this thread till someone replied to it.
2. Three Cheers to the lady jeeper.

Andy

Most Viewed