Team-BHP - Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/44485-recovery-salvage-techniques-post-here-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxima (Post 948985)
I dont know anything about offroading but from a physics standpoint, Arka's technique puts more "load" on the engine and clutch whereas DXG's technique puts more "load" on the chassis.

I suggesting towing to Snatch (because of lack of training & proper snatch straps)

1) in Towing the Load is on the Clutch while you take up the slack in the rope after that its on the engine (accelerate as necessary) and obviously on the Chassis

2) in Snatch Recovery/KE Recovery the Load is suddenly on the chassis under acceleration. (this technique require more TECH-Specs than experience)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippergeo
seeing the number of videos where a tiny suzuki saves every brand of off roader, I think, I should be looking for a Gypsy and not an MM540. I've been a longtime MM540 fan, but the proof of the gypsy's prowess is irrefutable.

Make that +1.
Have always admired the Gypsy, but it was the looks that I loved. But this little SUV sure packs a punch. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 948994)
Can someone explain the techniques as i can see only some sort of argument. Please

Arka has already posted the links for that : please see post # 12 , browse through those pages for knowing the technique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 948724)
3) Cover the tow rope with a heavy blanket/ tarpaulin/ground mat/ vehicle floor mat.

3) Use a ground mat on each rope.

Arka,

Can you please elaborate on the above ? I could not understand the need for a blanket/mat on the rope.please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 948982)
Technique is everything (almost). Firstly you have to attach the cable correctly. Second, learning if a "snatch" will help is often emperical. I have seen tow truck drivers (on highways) drag 20 ft. container trailers out of ditches.

BTW, Arka, why do you take umbrage in everything DKG says? Chill a little.

agree: only to 20-30% of the things he says.
Why I guess I'm Trolling :D

Here are recovery unit one (left) and recovery unit two (right) from my Spacio. Unit two needs a little fix. I am thinking of making a special trip to Dabwali and having these permanently stapled to the side of my vehicle where they will be no d*mn good whatsoever but will look great.

Okay, canvas and nylon stretch and steel cable does, too, but less so. If ANY cable breaks it can cut somebody right in half. If my tow hooks break or if I lop off a couple of fingers or if I yank out some vitals I will not be a happy camper. So this is a serious subject. Could we please have a very precise and well thought out discussion? I am reading this with interest.

I'd be terrified of using the snatch technique. even seeing it on you tube is scary.

here are some funny snatch type recoveries(attempted):)
YouTube - Not a good way to tow a car :/
YouTube - How Not To Tow A Car Out Of Snow
YouTube - Chain Break

there are good examples too, but they are'nt easy to find. i did find a beautiful example

YouTube - This is what i call getting snatched out!!!

so its not all bad, but it is, evidently, best done by experts.
if you do a simple search you will see that most of the spectacular ones are from the snatch technique.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 949035)
Why I guess I'm Trolling :D

Then please stop because like Maddy42 said (see below) all the good stuff gets lost in the argument.

OK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 948994)
Can someone explain the techniques as i can see only some sort of argument. Please

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsrini (Post 949031)
Arka,

Can you please elaborate on the above ? I could not understand the need for a blanket/mat on the rope.please:

Found the ans in one of the links posted by Arka in post#12.

The blanket/tarp/mat is to buffer the rope in case it breaks. stupid:

When using a cable/rope/tape for recovery it is ALWAYS suggested that we put a Heavy Blanket/Canvas Cover/MM540-MG410 Rear Mat/Tarpauline on the cable.

The mat must be placed on the rope 2/3 the distance away from the winch/recovery vehicle.

The purpose of this mat is to act as a parachute/damper in case the cable snaps and whiplashes, the mat actually slows down the cable and if placed properly can catch flying metal parts.

Regards,

Arka

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsrini (Post 949065)
The blanket/tarp/mat is to buffer the rope in case it breaks. stupid:

With a 4 inch wide canvas belt this is not much of a problem during towing. But when you winch with a wire rope, this becomes mandatory as failure to add this protective element can prove fatal. Also people need to stay clear of the line of pull.

Ok guys now that we have a dedicated thread on recovery can we go into all the issues regarding recovery without towing or winching. Arka may I request you do the honours explaining the role of traction, its compromise and various recovery techniques. I will add if something interesting comes to mind. Please include all the possible aids you feel one can carry for the purpose too to make it a comprehensive record of what one needs to do when stuck

Arka, can you post pictures about mat placing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippergeo (Post 949048)
I'd be terrified of using the snatch technique. even seeing it on you tube is scary.

here are some funny snatch type recoveries(attempted):)
YouTube - Not a good way to tow a car :/
YouTube - How Not To Tow A Car Out Of Snow
YouTube - Chain Break

there are good examples too, but they are'nt easy to find. i did find a beautiful example

YouTube - This is what i call getting snatched out!!!

so its not all bad, but it is, evidently, best done by experts.
if you do a simple search you will see that most of the spectacular ones are from the snatch technique.:D

Slow and steady wins the race. I stay away from "spectacular" usually. Good clips, thanks RIPPER. A couple of those yanks are nearly deadly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 949073)
Ok guys now that we have a dedicated thread on recovery can we go into all the issues regarding recovery without towing or winching. Arka may I request you do the honours explaining the role of traction, its compromise and various recovery techniques. I will add if something interesting comes to mind. Please include all the possible aids you feel one can carry for the purpose too to make it a comprehensive record of what one needs to do when stuck

DKJi,

I'm humbled by your vast real world experience and expertise.

Since you have more experience, I leave the forum to you.

Regards,

Arka.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 949105)
Since you have more experience, I leave the forum to you

Arka your enthusiasm is precious and as you are more active and also organising events its only apt you share details with all. There are many many enthusiasts who would remember this thread dearly as it would offer a wealth of information.

Lets start with traction, its role offroad, all the parameters affecting it, mechanical aspects affecting traction, then situations where traction is compromised, steps that can be taken, things one must avoid doing, then progress to certain aids we can carry, eventually to towing technique and finally winching.

Lets dispense with the pehle aap pehle aap bit, I am requesting you to please kick start the thread as after all this was your idea and a great one (essential for any offroader)

I assure you I will enthusiastically participate as always :) I will also like to see another gem Mr Dhabhar share his experiences here.

RedMM has done the Rubicon...well there definitely are a wealth of experienced offroaders here to make this most comprehensive