Team-BHP - Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/44485-recovery-salvage-techniques-post-here-9.html)

Tejas, since you are not always going to be using this in salt or brackish water all the time, don't cover it with a pipe or with fish oil(marine grease-really dirty stuff :eek:)

What you can do is get the rope pressure washed along with your vehicle,then use a cloth dipped in any motor oil and rub it along the length of rope, proceed to rub it off with a dry clean cloth.This will clean and lightly lubricate the rope preventing it from corrosion.

Store in a gunny sack.

That sounds like a good idea. Will follow Kunal's advise when i visit the pump soon!! Arka and now Kunal have suggested that it be stored in a Gunny sack. Why put in gunny sack? Any special reason guys, does jute arrest rust or something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motocamp (Post 1852991)
What you can do is get the rope pressure washed along with your vehicle,then use a cloth dipped in any motor oil and rub it along the length of rope, proceed to rub it off with a dry clean cloth....

Not quite!
It is the CORE of a wire rope that NEEDS the lubrication most!
Any oil/grease that does not have the 'temporary' volatile components ('light' components) to 'penetrate' to the core, immediately after application, are essentially just cosmetic!

Hi Guys,

A few videos of the Scammell Pioneer.

YouTube - Scammell Pioneer Tractor Heavy Heavy Breakdown

Scammell Pioneer using a Scotch Anchor.

YouTube - Probably the second most amazing Scammell footage on YouTube

Regards,

Arka

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1976414)
Not quite!
It is the CORE of a wire rope that NEEDS the lubrication most!
Any oil/grease that does not have the 'temporary' volatile components ('light' components) to 'penetrate' to the core, immediately after application, are essentially just cosmetic!

That is a good point! So you could lubricate with wd-40 and rub it down with oil.

How many dozen cans of WD 40 would that be?:D

Hi Guys,

A rare video of a BEML Tatra 815 8x8 winching out a Tatra 815 6x6 (RHD).

rescue - YouTube

Regards,

Arka

PS - The winch is rated at 100 metric Tons :D

Dear all

recently stumbled over this & here to share

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-aa1.jpg

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-aa2.jpg

Sudarshan

P.S. Chances are many might have gone through this but still :D

^^ That's a wheel winch, right? Is it commercially available in India? I know that these are available in Australia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 2744273)
^^ That's a wheel winch, right? Is it commercially available in India? I know that these are available in Australia.

Nope , wheel winches are different , these were the old on field tricks !

These are improvisations ( may be not a correct word ) , with what ever they could use.

In the first pic -- its a dual wheel assy like the big trucks , not much use for Jeepers , the rope would be wound between two wheels .

But in the second pic -- its from outside the wheel , I think its worth trying

Sudarshan

This is something interesting to share -I have it downloaded a while ago

Have a Look

CH22.PDF

Sudarshan

Note Dear bhp Suport - if by chance this manual has appeared here before then please delete the post /entry

^^^ Thanks Sudarshan. This is great and I have not seen this on any other thread yet. Thanks for sharing. Particularly intrigued to see the techniques for raising your wheels. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudarshan (Post 2747538)
This is something interesting to share -I have it downloaded a while ago

Have a Look

Attachment 916451

Sudarshan

Note Dear bhp Suport - if by chance this manual has appeared here before then please delete the post /entry

Thanks for sharing.
Always better/safer to credit the source.

FM 21-305 - Manual for the Wheeled Vehicle Driver - ENLISTED.INFO

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis (Post 2747714)
Thanks for sharing.
Always better/safer to credit the source.

FM 21-305 - Manual for the Wheeled Vehicle Driver - ENLISTED.INFO

Thanks for that -- my mistake :eek:

BTW - it seems like you knew it already then why didnt you share it here before or is it shared somewhere on bhp ? please help me find .

There is also a problem , see if you can help please: -- some how I cant provide links , please tell how to -- just copy paste from the URL Bar ?

Last time I did so but some technicality came up -- I didnt understand it fully

sudarshan

P.S. Thanks for the another source( Link ) -- mine was different -- will post it once the issue of posting links gets sorted out

P.S. 2 let me try it -- hope dosent create any technical Issue - its a one piece though some 4 + MB all credits to original poster
http://hilltoparmyradios.com/manual%...e%20driver.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudarshan (Post 2747826)
Thanks for that -- my mistake :eek:

BTW - it seems like you knew it already then why didnt you share it here before or is it shared somewhere on bhp ? please help me find .

There is also a problem , see if you can help please: -- some how I cant provide links , please tell how to -- just copy paste from the URL Bar ?

Last time I did so but some technicality came up -- I didnt understand it fully

sudarshan

P.S. Thanks for the another source( Link ) -- mine was different -- will post it once the issue of posting links gets sorted out

So first things first...

You can just copy paste from the URL (including the http://) into your message and when you do a preview you will see that the editor is usually smart enough to figure out it is a link and show it underlined/clickable.

If that does not work then you can always click the link button above the editing space...the globe with the chain link and insert your link there.
Hope that helps.

As to why I did not share this link earlier if I knew about it (I think that was the question?),

2 Reasons:

1> I did not know about it until you posted it (which is why I thanked you for sharing) and it took me 10 seconds to get to the source of the material (using one keyword) and the material for a few posts above that (many sources available freely all over the internet). Was inspired by you to share the actual source and document repository. It is purely a matter of personal choice to open up the source rather than let it flow in drips and drops across multiple posts. Both our intents are the same.

2> "Just Google" - a parody of "Beat It" by Michael Jackson - YouTube

Looking forward to many more links in the future!