Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:22   #76
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please give a lowdown on the use of high lift jacks etc, and situations where they come in handy. Could cover inflatable jacks too
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Nylon tow rope seems to be decent(as posted by jaysmokesleaves). Is it available easily in Delhi. I think a tow rope is a must have in any car(off road or non off road).
Every time, we've used a nylon rope, it snaps at some point in time, especially in slush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Spot on! Towing and winching is the last option when all else fails.

the discussion started with Arka asserting the snatch technique is unsafe and not recommended. I through experience know it to not be unsafe. As regards additional precautions, well, more the merrier
I would use winching as the first option! Also, we've had problems with the snatch technique. Once, We used 3 jeeps to snatch pull a jeep stuck in clay upto both diffs and springs and had a 11 hour recovery.

Finally the chassis of the jeep was twisted too, which we realised the next day only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BTW, Arka, why do you take umbrage in everything DKG says? Chill a little.
Lol navin, they are best friends , arent they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Make that +1.
Have always admired the Gypsy, but it was the looks that I loved. But this little SUV sure packs a punch.
SB, We finally seem to agree on 1 vehicle - A Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Pic #2 is a good illustration of where people should not be standing during a pull. Especially the guy with the blue shirt/tan pants in the center. .
He is Arkaprava Datta !

Quote:
True that's almost like a sling shot hit if the belt slips. Arka were you there when this winching took place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
The guy in the blue shirt is Arka and he is the one setting up things. As you can see he is the one operating the winch after everyone gets clear.
Quote:
I almost did not recognize Arka with his very cool sunglasses!

After looking at the pictures some more, I just realized that the Toyota is being extracted, and the rock is an anchor point. In this case, the line speed is not halved. You get full line speed, but a change in direction.

Since I was not present at the time and all I have are the pictures, I would say that it appears that there is enough space to do a direct pull in front of the Toyota.
Yeah, we would have preferred direct pull too, but there was no space and it was a funny terrain!
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could someone please give a lowdown on the use of high lift jacks etc, and situations where they come in handy. Could cover inflatable jacks too

Hi, check out the TPC 08 pictures. You'd find a high lift jack in operation. It is on a MM540 DP.
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:52   #79
BHPian

Quote:
A high lift jack is primary meant for lifted vehicles. The factory jack just will not be able to lift enough to change a tire. This is where the high lift can help. Another issue while off roading is that when the ground surface is uneven, there may be a depression where you want to place the jack, which may then run out of vertical travel.

Then there are some instances where your rig is grounded on a rock and the high lift may help a bit. But this is not the primary role for a high lift jack. Just want to emphasize again that a high lift jack is just a vehicle jack, not an extraction tool (unless of an emergency).

Inflatable jacks are large air pillows that are supposed to inflate and lift a vehicle. I have never used one and am a bit skeptical of how useful or reliable they are. A high lift would be a more reliable tool in my opinion.
Old 24th August 2008, 09:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

The High lift jack could be used to tow a vehicle as well. The jack is capable of lifting the vehicle upto 3ft or more in the air.

We were experimenting with a high lift [first time] in the TPC08 where we wanted to lower the shackle that had got stuck in a friends jeep.

We used the high lift to lift the jeep anchoring it from the bumper lever to do the same.

We could not have done such antics with our normal jack especially in soft sand!
Old 24th August 2008, 09:46   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since I was not present at the time and all I have are the pictures, I would say that it appears that there is enough space to do a direct pull in front of the Toyota.
Actually no, my photographs from the sidelines can prove that.

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-_c095038.jpg

The highest risk was taken by this guy, the local war reporter. (I don't think he realised the danger then)

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-_c095036.jpg
Old 25th August 2008, 10:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pic #2 is a good illustration of where people should not be standing during a pull. Especially the guy with the blue shirt/tan pants in the center. At least the guy on the right side looks like he is running for cover.

Regarding the use of a snatch block, I would also add that this cuts the line speed in half, so only use it if absolutely needed and you cannot perform the extraction with a direct pull.

Half line speed is an issue for your charging system. Dual batteries and a 100 amp(or more) alternator are very desirable.

The safest pull is just a direct pull.
Thats Me!!!.

You have added 3 very important points
Old 25th August 2008, 10:16   #83
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Is it fair to state that both the high lift jack and the exhaust driven inflatable are both used to lift vehicles from ruts which can then be properly filled with sand/rock and the car extricated?

We also have some aids in the form of traction mats. These usually are made as a combination of chain and rubber and can be placed under wheels that have lost traction.

Last edited by DKG : 25th August 2008 at 10:18.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Tree-Trunk Saver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The white strap around the rock is the polyprop rope sling? What is the capacity of that winch, Arka?
The White Strap is a Tree Trunk Saver.

Earlier people used to tie ISW Ropes around tree trunk which would rub deeply into the Tree Trunks and even killing or damaging the tree.

The Tree Trunk Saver/Protector can be used a ground anchor, but it should not have any slack/play or it will rub against the rocks and get cut.

The Winch is 5.5Tons/12000lbs on the first Layer of the Drum.

Last edited by ex670c : 25th August 2008 at 11:12.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think they have just taken up most of the slack and are not really winching full out at this point.
That pic was taken before the winching was started. The guy in the orange tee shirt & blue jeans (Srinath, owner of the LC) who is seemingly ducking for cover is actually going under the rope to get into the LC.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th August 2008 at 11:12.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

Critical!!!

Quote:
I almost did not recognize Arka with his very cool sunglasses!

Not trying to criticize, just trying to point out how possibly to do a safer extraction.
Hi Gaurev,

I get most of the Critical Equipment from the US of A.

I think you have every right to be critical and even demand an explanation of certain procedures, this will be beneficial to all trying to understand and visualize various OTR problems. (like maths problems)

Regards,

Arka
Old 25th August 2008, 15:41   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Is it fair to state that both the high lift jack and the exhaust driven inflatable are both used to lift vehicles from ruts which can then be properly filled with sand/rock and the car extricated?

We also have some aids in the form of traction mats. These usually are made as a combination of chain and rubber and can be placed under wheels that have lost traction.

High lift jack may be of some use in extractions, but not an inflatable jack. I have seen pictures of high lift jack extractions where one tries to lift the vehicle to a higher elevation to overcome an obstacle. Personally I have never used my high lift jack in offroad situations, not do I believe that the high lift jack is really an extraction tool at all. I suspect that the marketing department of the high lift jack manufacturer has tried to position the high lift jack as a back up extraction tool. The high lift is however very good at jacking up lifted jeeps or not so lifted jeeps in off road situations.

The inflatable type of jack, in my opinion, is more of a gimmick than a serious jack.

Traction mats just do not do much at all. A shovel to dig yourself out is much more effective.

The best is an electric bumper mounted winch.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The inflatable type of jack, in my opinion, is more of a gimmick than a serious jack.
Inflatable jacks are prone to wear and puncture and, of course, they need air for inflation. They are advertised as having more surface area to lift against. Sometimes instead of jacking up the vehicle a normal jack will jack itself into the muck. The air pillow is supposed to prevent this. But, you can always lay a couple of boards under a normal jack so that it will not sink. The other thing an inflatable jack is supposed to do is keep you cleaner, for example, if you need to jack in the middle of some real wet nasty soup. This may be the only thing it does better.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 25th August 2008 at 16:36.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:16   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other thing an inflatable jack is supposed to do is keep you cleaner, for example, if you need to jack in the middle of some real wet nasty soup. This may be the only thing it does better.
Considering they run off the car's exhaust, in terrain such as deep snow or desert sand this is the only thing that might work with minimal effort.

However, as I've never used one am not qualified to comment on its efficacy

Last edited by DKG : 25th August 2008 at 17:17.
Old 26th August 2008, 13:27   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best is an electric bumper mounted winch.
The Best IMO is not to get stuck at all!

Quote:
Considering they run off the car's exhaust, in terrain such as deep snow or desert sand this is the only thing that might work with minimal effort.
When a vehicle's engine is dead, the jack would not be of much use!, unlike a high lift jack!

Quote:
Sometimes instead of jacking up the vehicle a normal jack will jack itself into the muck. The air pillow is supposed to prevent this. But, you can always lay a couple of boards under a normal jack so that it will not sink. The other thing an inflatable jack is supposed to do is keep you cleaner, for example, if you need to jack in the middle of some real wet nasty soup. This may be the only thing it does better.
I tend to agree here Sir! , if your vehicle's engine is running, and silencer is not underwater!

Most Viewed