Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Off-Roading Trails in and around Bangalore

Hello All,

I have searched in the forum for similar threads, but did not find one. Since we have lot of experienced Off-Roaders from Bangalore, can you guys post the locations of some good trails here? It would be great if you share the knowledge about the terrain and approach route as well. If useful we can start similar threads for other cities as well. 100kms radius will be fine, and should be able to finish in one day. This is never to attempt these trails alone. But it will be easy for arranging a quick OTR with 5-10 Jeepers if we have this information.

Thank You
Sreeraj
Old 25th August 2008, 14:35   #2
c10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hello All,

I have searched in the forum for similar threads, but did not find one. Since we have lot of experienced Off-Roaders from Bangalore, can you guys post the locations of some good trails here? It would be great if you share the knowledge about the terrain and approach route as well. If useful we can start similar threads for other cities as well. 100kms radius will be fine, and should be able to finish in one day. This is never to attempt these trails alone. But it will be easy for arranging a quick OTR with 5-10 Jeepers if we have this information.

Thank You
Sreeraj
hi,
we had a Willys & we had been to a place near Jigni.. it was more of rocky place.. great place to be for off-roading..!!
Old 26th August 2008, 15:24   #3
BHPian

You could join us on one of the OTRs that is done by jeep thrills members on weekends.call me on 9972596002 if you are interested.
cheers
jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hello All,

Thank You
Sreeraj
Old 26th August 2008, 15:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
You could join us on one of the OTRs that is done by jeep thrills members on weekends.call me on 9972596002 if you are interested.
cheers
jammy
Thank You Very much for inviting me Jammy. I have your number stored, I will keep on calling you every weekend until you say me "Stop Bugging ME" . Anyway, I am out of Bangalore this weekend (Did I say you that I am going to drive my jeep to Trissur ). I will call you once I am back from this 1000kms journey. Just wanted to know her weaknesses before taking her to real TEST on OTRs.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 26th August 2008, 16:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Sree, I would suggest that you call Jammy before your long trip. he can give pointers on what checks/precautions to take before this long journey on a jeep (Am assuming that this is your first long journey on a jeep).

Cheers,
Old 27th August 2008, 15:28   #6

Hi Sreeraj,

Bangalore is surrounded by rocky hills on most sides...thus it is an off-roader's paradise for exploring...

Starting North you have the Nandis and begining from around dodda ballapura (NNW)all the way thru the nandis range to chikka ballapura (N) and beyond towards Kaiwara (NNE)

Starting South you have the rocky hills starting from around Bannerghatta (SSE) going all the way thru the Kanakapura Road (S) thru to Ramanagara (SW) and onwards towards Magadi (W) and onwards towards ShivaGangay (NW) all within the 100 km radius that you speak off...

The number of hills is in hundreds and there are many many trails thru them and exploring each of these would be equally great... besides since quarrying has been going on around some of these places and thus there are many many trails to go on with a 4x4 vehicle...

As far as the list of places around bangalore for off-roading... well i hope someone compiles one because of this thread that you have started...

In my humble opinion every trail thru any of these hills around would be great off-roading... the classification of "good trails" and listing them would be difficult to classify as there is little distiction between good trail / great trail / tough trail etc.. and thus i guess you are far from finding any list... off-roading trails are a bit away from tourist spots in terms of listings and classifications...All trails thru all these hills around are great...some short some long some dusty and so on....

cheers
ragpicker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 22:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Soft roading spots in and around Bangalore

This thread is dedicated to sharing of information about "soft roading" spots, as well as planning soft-road outings, in and around Bangalore. While hard core off-road excursions keep happening quite often, I am sure there are quite a few of us who'd want to indulge in some 'light' stuff once in a while to exercise those front axles of our Jeeps/Gypsys and SUVs, not to mention catching some sun, get some fresh air, and bonding with like minded folks.

I, for one, would want to get my kid exposed to the joys of OTRs as well as flex the transfer case of my Gypsy as well as Safari once in a while without getting into perilous situations or ending up damaging my vehicles. I am sure there are quite a few of us out there who'd want to do the same!

So let's make this thread a good source of information and experiences regarding some *fun* and lightweight OTR stuff

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th November 2016 at 22:25.
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Off-Roading Trails in and around Bangalore

Bumping this old thread up!!

Any tips on mild soft-road trails around Bangalore would be highly appreciated.
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Bumping this old thread up!!

Any tips on mild soft-road trails around Bangalore would be highly appreciated.
The weekend off-road scene is almost dead in and around Bangalore, if you are looking from an organized group kind of thingy.

Too many local issues and with everyone in nearby villages having mobiles, in no time you have 100's of people from local villages there waiting for a circus and then you get into issues of someone coming in saying that you just went into their field destroying their non-existent crop and now need to pay compensation. You get the drift...

So, the scene has now shifted to 'adventure outings' where few like minded folks go and spend the weekend in a remote place (say, coorg, sakleshpur, ooty, wayanad, munnar etc etc)and the local resort owner takes you to some mild-off-road trails.

Gone are the days of fun filled weekend jamboorie of MM540/550 & gypsies close to the city.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The weekend off-road scene is almost dead in and around Bangalore, if you are looking from an organized group kind of thingy..

Gone are the days of fun filled weekend jamboorie of MM540/550 & gypsies close to the city.
This is very sad indeed :( What lovely day-outings we used to have back then with families bonding over off-road trails!

So, I guess this makes way for private off-road/soft-road circuits picking up as good business ventures then? I recall reading about something similar in the NCR region, if my memory serves me right.
Old 21st January 2020, 18:51   #11
BHPian

I'm looking for some Bangalore trails as well. Or at least an offroading community in the city that meets up frequently and explores the trail potential of this area.

Are there any active groups in Bangalore that do this kind of thing?
Old 24th January 2020, 06:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
I'm looking for some Bangalore trails as well. Or at least an offroading community in the city that meets up frequently and explores the trail potential of this area.

Are there any active groups in Bangalore that do this kind of thing?
Join the bangalore annual offroad happening tomorrow. You can meet all local offroad community from bangalore there.

Off-Roading Trails in and around Bangalore-img20200109wa0012.jpg
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 08:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Join the bangalore annual offroad happening tomorrow. You can meet all local offroad community from bangalore there.

Attachment 1960321
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of this event but sadly I won't be in town this weekend. Hopefully more opportunities pop up soon.
Old 29th August 2021, 22:43   #14

This is my first post on Team-BHP. Have been reading since 2010.

Just to give you a context, I have recently bought a Mahindra Thar AX (soft top) This is my 3rd car, first 4x4, and SUV. The goal was pretty clear, start off-roading.

As mentioned in the previous posts, the scene is dead, which really is, but I somehow managed to make some acquaintances with people who are in Bangalore and own a Thar, will do a separate post on that but lets come back to the itinerary.

Jay (another Thar owner - Petrol AT Convertible) and I met at HRC at 5.30 Am in the morning to start our drive.

The designation was unknown, Chandramouli (Thar Hard Top) from the group suggested we come to a location and then he will take us to a trail.

We reached Angsara (*location*) and he and one more guy was getting late so he suggested we hit another nearby location that people go for a jog/cycling.

We came back to the same location in about 45-60 minutes and started our trail.

Here are some pictures and videos.

Off-Roading Trails in and around Bangalore-img_0585.jpg

Off-Roading Trails in and around Bangalore-img_0586.jpg

Off-Roading Trails in and around Bangalore-img_0597.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Looking forward to doing more. Hopefully, some more people would join this time.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2021 at 05:46. Reason: Video links fixed
ishanvyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 21:51   #15

Hi Ishanvyas,

I have recently got the delivery of my new Mahindra Thar. I would love to join you guys whenever you plan to go next. Let me know if you guys are planning something for this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks