Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2008, 15:01   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The forum can only help up clarify ideas, but you need to go out in the field along with veterans and learn the ropes.
Yup this is also true. .

To quote an example, the OTR that i had been to, although not all that challenging to the experienced jeepers would have more than a handful for a novice like me to handle without having experienced jeepers around me.

We had to climb and incline and i was asked to do it with 2nd gear on 4L because we need the momentum. The first gear would not give steady momentum needed to drive through this incline.

But i very successfully stalling the engine numerous times causing the jeep to start rolling back.

Also jeep breakdowns are a part of OTR's and it is very essential to have some knowledge about the working parts of the jeep atleast in order to trouble shoot and diagnose the problem before even thinking about fixing it.

None the less discussing these things does help a lot especially if the person is new to offroading and can remember the important things during the actual thing.

Regards,

Karthik
Old 31st August 2008, 16:55   #17
BHPian

I second that. Real learning happens in the field. What ever amount reading we do, nothing can substitute the first hand feel when we take the steering wheel of a Jeep.

Quote:
But even a rookie like me can tell you this, you can't learn offroading without being in the field. The forum can only help up clarify ideas, but you need to go out in the field along with veterans and learn the ropes.
Btw, i started my field training yesterday from the friend who sold me the jeep. I cleard couple of mounds (err...mountains) in 1st Low in my MM540. I got Yokohama Geolander A/T tyres and an expert jeeper to guide me

Cheers
-Vaspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The Bridgestones he had were not so good? What AT tyre do you favor?
Dan, i am no expert in these matters however would like to share my observation.

My Jeep (MM540) have Yokohama Geolander A/T tyres (i guess 30 inchers). Yesterday when i drove the jeep for first time i felt the ride very smooth almost like my Ford Ikon. We kept tyre pressure at 25psi and on highway i didnt feel the bouncy ride that A/T tyres supposed cause.

My friend also suggested me to get a set of steel rims and NDMS tyres for muddy trails in OTR. He says Geolanders good for normal roads and rock crawling.

Cheers
-Vaspro

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st September 2008 at 15:27. Reason: See note in Post
Old 31st August 2008, 17:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sharath nice to see you playing " My tutor" for the lad from Manipal . BTW thanks much for that drive in your office campus the other day.

Prolly next time I did make more time and ensure to get lessons from you. Great show as usual with some nice pic's and narrated really well.
Old 31st August 2008, 17:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
But, there is already a thread by much experienced Shahnawaz to help people get into offroading: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...thout-4x4.html

But even a rookie like me can tell you this, you can't learn offroading without being in the field.
Samurai: I fully agree with you on the practicals. I have also done some leisure off-roading, mainly rock crawling types and dirt track hillocks with my earlier Jeep Grand Cherokee. Looking forward to do some desert drives in my new LC after the summer. (BTW, the summer in Dubai extends until end September)

My point however was to create a sticky (PARKED) thread compiling the best of inputs from our 4x4 veterans.
Old 1st September 2008, 11:08   #20
Team-BHP Support

We'll discuss in the support team about that, we have atleast two threads to choose from, one from Shahnawaz and other from DKG. We can build from that.
Old 1st September 2008, 11:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice one Samurai.
Btw, I noticed that broken license plate and was about to ask you about that. And then saw your PS in the post.
So, seems thats the "fees" he paid for the course

The Jeep looks really cool. So, you started a institute too in your office compound. Great man!
Old 1st September 2008, 15:12   #22
BANNED

So this is where Sachin is getting his feet.....err wheels dirty. Nice job.
Old 1st September 2008, 15:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai,

This is such a wonderful post, about helping others to learn off-roading and sharing your knowhow with others -- something very close to my heart. For me the next best thing after off-roading is to share my off-roading know how with other folks and help them learn off-roading.

In a way it helps me refine my skills as I learn from observing them and seeing what people are doing from an 'outside' perspective. At times we are so much involved during the OTR while tackling terrain that we don't get time to think (in real time) and process the 'process' which allowed us or did not allow us to tackle the terrain.

The sharing of know how allows us to appreciate the finer points that would at times get missed during actually doing OTR's.

Quote:
.... I think I finally understood why Gurkha failed on this hill while the CJ340 did it with highway tyres in similarly dry weather. What is needed here is momentum, not just torque....
This is an example of an insight you get while being an 'observer' and processing the inputs.

Great going Sharath. Keep expanding the 4x4 tribe.

Cheers,
Old 1st September 2008, 15:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So this is where Sachin is getting his feet.....err wheels dirty. Nice job.
Hmm, small world, so you know the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This is such a wonderful post, about helping others to learn off-roading and sharing your knowhow with others -- something very close to my heart. For me the next best thing after off-roading is to share my off-roading know how with other folks and help them learn off-roading.
We accept visiting professors at the academy.
Old 1st September 2008, 20:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
We'll discuss in the support team about that, we have atleast two threads to choose from, one from Shahnawaz and other from DKG. We can build from that.
Not being a practised off-roader, I have a few problems: with the terminology and with the practices proposed.

Could I write to you off-line? I don't know how to use the personal mail facility.
Old 1st September 2008, 21:08   #26
Team-BHP Support

You can click on my handle on the left and select "send private message" option. However, you can also post openly in this thread, I don't mind being corrected, we are all here to learn.
Old 1st September 2008, 21:32   #27
BHPian

Great post samurai! I guess one day you will be able to write a book on how to 4x4 off road. while reading your post it was like I was watching the whole thing happen. Really incredible writing style.
Old 1st December 2008, 23:53   #28

I go with GT too, am a crazy off road enthusiat, but unlucky to have not got a chance to do something real good. I would first love to learn from threads and sessions. Waiting for my "Project Gypsy" to take shape.Moolah is always the problem you see
Old 2nd December 2008, 11:01   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Hmm, small world, so you know the guy.
Oops sorry, missed on this.

One Jeep guy to another, thats how we got introduced.
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:51   #30
BANNED

Quote:
But even a rookie like me can tell you this, you can't learn offroading without being in the field. The forum can only help up clarify ideas, but you need to go out in the field along with veterans and learn the ropes.
Absolutely agree. As I was discussing with Shahnawaz on Sunday at TG Halli, reading all the know how posted also helps, IF you can relate to it during the OTR and correct your mistakes / use the correct techniques.

Most Viewed