Team-BHP - When I got to teach offroading....
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   When I got to teach offroading.... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/44990-when-i-got-teach-offroading.html)

This is almost a case of deaf leading the blind. Although I am only 8 months into offroading, I live in a place where that experience is more than most.

The only other recreational Jeeper I know around here recently confessed to me that he doesn’t have a clue about offroading. He owns 3 Jeeps (MM540, Armada & CJ340), all are 4x4s and are prepared by him. He prepares bling jeeps for students . So I asked him to drop in on a weekend for some offroading lessons. Since he had seen this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...uers-hill.html, he was really pumped up about it.

As I drove to my office today at 5PM, I had no idea how I am going to teach him. So I figured to improvise as it goes. I have some good offroad terrain at the office campus which I planned to used for this training. I was so unclear about the agenda, I didn’t even carry the customary camera.

First I checked the health of his Jeep’s 4x4 ability. He had brought a 1992 CJ340 converted to look like a classic, but with a Force logo in the front. Hmm, don’t ask. It has Bridgestone Dueler H/T tyres, no skid plates and hanging number plate front and back. But it is a CJ340, so it should be able to hack the terrain we had.

I first started with the basic stuff like engine braking, avoidance of brake or clutch, how the steer, how to spot, etc. You know, the stuff I learnt in Arka School of Offroading last year. Since he was a Jeeper he already knew how to handle a Jeep. Then I made him drive through simple obstacles where I wouldn’t dare take the GV. And things started to get interesting, I realised I better get my backup E-500 from the office for some photographs.

This was where I stopped the Jeep as I ran for the camera.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305728.jpg

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305729.jpg

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305730.jpg

Did some simple climbs after that on very uneven ground. Also taught him the importance of walking the trail, visualizing the drive, and trusting the spotter to lead the Jeep.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305733.jpg

Then I decided to teach him the difference in using torque vs momentum. First I asked him to do this obstacle using 1st low, just torque.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305735.jpg

The highway tyres spun away to glory, but couldn’t climb after repeated attempts.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305737.jpg

Next I asked him to try the same with some momentum in 2nd low. It climbed in 1st attempt.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305738.jpg

And out of that place.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305739.jpg

Now it was time to learn descent control, without using brake or clutch. That was new concept for him. He has done climbed Kodachadri hills many times, but with ample use of brake/clutch/accelerator. I told him this, use clutch only for changing gears, use brake only to stop without switching off engine, for the rest use engine braking.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305742.jpg

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305743.jpg

I gotta say this guy is a very quick learner, he got everything at first try.

Now he was eyeing the Mt. Everest of the ground, since he had seen the video on this forum, he wanted to try it. Since he had done so well so far, I decided to let him try that. My only concern was the highway tyres, but then the hill was very dry today, so with momentum it could be done. So I asked him to come fast in 2nd low and do it without touching anything other than accelerator.

With some massive wheel spinning he makes it across.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305744.jpg

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305745.jpg

Now it was time to come down. I told him to absolutely keep away from brake, clutch or accelerator. Assume padmasan if you can I told him. I also told him it can be quite scary first time.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305747.jpg

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305740.jpg

And the dismount.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305748.jpg

I think I finally understood why Gurkha failed on this hill while the CJ340 did it with highway tyres in similarly dry weather. What is needed here is momentum, not just torque.

He tried the big hill couple of times just to be sure, basically he passed the course in flying colors. After the field training, there was some theory class on types of differentials, LSD, diff locks, etc. We didn't touch upon recovery, that's advance class anyway.

First Graduation Photo from Samurai School of… um… never mind that.

When I got to teach offroading....-_8305752.jpg

PS: Notice the rear license plate.:)

unbelievable samurai, for what you have become in such a short span of time. in fact, i was riding shotgun with you when you first took on the wheels of arka's jeep. remember getting your finger squeezed between gear lever and dash while engaging first gear?

i am really really amazed by your enthusiasm, from GV to jeep.....and don't know what next....

btw, i am silently enjoying all your monsoon off-road excursions.

keep it going.

A well-prepared training report, Samurai! :)
Imparting knowledge is so much more fun too, which is evident here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tifosikrishna (Post 959462)
in fact, i was riding shotgun with you when you first took on the wheels of arka's jeep. remember getting your finger squeezed between gear lever and dash while engaging first gear?

Heh, heh, heh, that sounds so long back... That was the first time I ever drove any Indian Jeep.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 959451)
He tried the big hill couple of times just to be sure, basically he passed the course in flying colors. After the field training, there was some theory class on types of differentials, LSD, diff locks, etc. We didn't touch upon recovery, that's advance class anyway.

.:)

Considering it is you teaching him, I am sure it will all go for a six!!! Just like what happened to me in the ICE section!!

The Bridgestones he had were not so good? What AT tyre do you favor?

Amazing stuff Samurai. I thought I need to go all the way to Chennai to get a good OTR lesson. Looks like I can get a good lesson in KA itself.

Hmmm........ Hmmm...........
So, another one has conquered the hill!

Your enthusiasm is really great Samurai san! You've made all the offroading part of your life it seems. Well done! Keep it up!

It's good to see that people are now interested in learning from you. Means, you're making your presence felt in the neighbourhood with your Jeep.
Why didn't you take him by surprise by including some unexpected offroading somewhere in the wild?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 959518)
Considering it is you teaching him, I am sure it will all go for a six!!! Just like what happened to me in the ICE section!!

So you think I am that bad a teacher?stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 959538)
The Bridgestones he had were not so good? What AT tyre do you favor?

There are highway tyres, they have much weaker sidewall, easy to spin, easy to puncture the sidewall. Any AT should do better in both departments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWolf (Post 959544)
Amazing stuff Samurai. I thought I need to go all the way to Chennai to get a good OTR lesson. Looks like I can get a good lesson in KA itself.

Actually Chennai is much closer over very good roads, and you can get professional level training. Forget Chennai, even in Bangalore you can get similar level training by going out with Bangalore Jeepers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 959575)
Why didn't you take him by surprise by including some unexpected offroading somewhere in the wild?

And get stuck royally? I don't want to try that without having a little larger group of offroaders. All said and done I am not that experienced.

now thats what i call a perfect training ground and a good teacher along with it.

Apollo announced a new AT tire....please check their website

Apollo Tyres,Car Tires,Truck Tires Manufacturers,Cheap Bus Jeep Tires,Car Accessories

Your enthusiasm is delightfully infectious.

Can I suggest that a sticky thread is opened for 4x4 Training? The topics may cover:
General:
- Understanding your vehicle (torque, traction, differentials, type of tyres, etc.)
- Absolute basics and ground rules
- Do’s & Don’ts
- Tools & Tackles
- In case of Emergency

Off-roading on Rocky Terrain:

Off-roading on Mud / Slush / Water crossings:

Off-roading on Sand / Dessert terrains

Recovery & Salvage Techniques: (Arka’s previous posts can get into this section)

With contributions from so many 4x4 stalwarts in the forum, I believe that a “reference manual” on 4x4 driving can soon be compiled.

I chanced upon this website 4x4 Basics which covers quite a bit of ground on basics.

I second GT. Samurai, why not start a new thread for 4x4 off road training lessons for the souls like me who have never done any off roading?

BTW, the narration and pics have come out well.

Quote:

Can I suggest that a sticky thread is opened for 4x4 Training? The topics may cover:
+1 to that. Gurus, please.

I really would like to know some indications of what N"low" and N"high" means. When to use momentum; when to use torque, etc.

PS:- i am yet to have dreams of my car; but I had a dream / nightmare of me offroading on an opentop jeep!!!

[quote=-GT-;959739]
Can I suggest that a sticky thread is opened for 4x4 Training? quote]

This is a real good suggestion. Would be really helpful for all the first time jeep owners like myself who have very little knowledge about offroading.

B/W Sharath's (Samurai's) reports are always detailed and rich in information.

You guys might want to check out this report by Samurai.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...am-quarry.html

Regards

Karthik.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 959847)
I second GT. Samurai, why not start a new thread for 4x4 off road training lessons for the souls like me who have never done any off roading?

Guys, I am too much of a rookie to give out Gyan like that.

But, there is already a thread by much experienced Shahnawaz to help people get into offroading: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...thout-4x4.html

But even a rookie like me can tell you this, you can't learn offroading without being in the field. The forum can only help up clarify ideas, but you need to go out in the field along with veterans and learn the ropes.