Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 15:55   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Will be posting the rest of the story later today.

Sharath, yes man, an innocent looking rock did the tyre .

Oh man, you know I did the descent/slide and then got out of the gypsy and she climbed in and gave the camera to me. Before I could realize that I had to take pictures, she had already zipped to the top in one go. The irony is that ALL others with some 3-4 cameras also did not click pictures and were busy watching if she would make it to the top or not :-)
she did a super job with the mpfi gypsy ,,, she just raced to up the slope in a flash
Old 16th September 2008, 13:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Hi Khan, wich offroader, a mahindra or a gypsy is more capable in tackling a typical OTR trail as per your experience? Asking this as i will surely buy one of these in future, so kicked with your posts!
@ DIESELONE: This question of your's deserves a separate and dedicated post (or possibly a book).

To be honest and taking an objective view, here are my 2 cents from whatever little OTR experience I have.

At the end of the day, it the man (or woman) behind the machine that matters. Jeep/Gypsy doesn't matter. Pick any one -- purely from an OTR view point.

In off-roading it's the feeling of being with fellow friends off-roaders that is beyond words. Jeep/Gypsy/Gurkha etc doesn't matter.

PS: There could be 1000's of reasons for choosing a jeep/gypsy depending on driving pattern, budget, liking, etc etc etc.. Am not going into that.
Old 16th September 2008, 14:42   #33
BHPian

One of the best offroading threads on t-bhp. Excellent time you guys would have had and everything was explained very nicely. Well, Pajero I guess is more suited to Saudi desert safaris etc what say?
Old 19th September 2008, 22:35   #34
BHPian

@Khan:

Excellent write-up and super pics! You guys are having a ball !!
By the way, how come you Khans are Veggies?
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:54   #35
BHPian

nice to see offroad culture getting developed in India. Belive me its still in amature stage. Hard core offroading is far too away in India. Planning to repatriate back to India and as a part of it wanted to engineer one of my own kind of offroader. Initialy was eager to bring in my CJ7 with 31" super swamper, 2" Lift Kit but indian regulation doesnt allows it as the vehicle is 1982 make. Would like to share the Ideas with experianced like-minded offroader.
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
nice to see offroad culture getting developed in India. Belive me its still in amature stage. Hard core offroading is far too away in India. ....

Yes. In many ways you are right and I don't think anyone here is under any illusions (at least the knowledgeable off-roaders). Right now mostly it is a combination of little OTR + being with nature + camping + outing etc. (and there is nothing wrong with it)

Offroad is at a nascent stage in India but over time it will grow. Availability of mods for offroad purposes is non existent here and one has to rely on parts from abroad + many many other aspects involved.

However, if someone is really serious about building a mud swamper or a monster rock crawler or a sand buggy, then it is doable in India -- albeit with some pain.

Several folks have started on that journey and are at various stages towards that.

Things will only get better from here on.. I have no doubt about it.

Cheers,
Old 24th September 2008, 12:43   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
At the end of the day, it the man (or woman) behind the machine that matters. Jeep/Gypsy doesn't matter.
That statement is worth a million bucks! So true, stop worrying about which is better. Pick a damn 4x4 and get off the road. In most cases, it is the driver who is lacking in ability and not the machine.

Honestly, getting stuck is fun. It makes you realise the limits....lot to learn too. I love getting stuck

Quote:
In off-roading it's the feeling of being with fellow friends off-roaders that is beyond words. Jeep/Gypsy/Gurkha etc doesn't matter.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:21   #38
BHPian

thts looks like one amazing trip guys.Kudos to ull.
Old 10th December 2008, 03:52   #39
BHPian

so did you guys go back the same way you came or was there a tarred road too? :-) this is one hell of a picnic you guys had, i could actually feel the excitement, have you posted movie clips too?

Most Viewed