Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 22:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept

Just reached back home from 2 days of camping + cooking + OTR at Soligere. It was one hack of a jaunt with the way up done at night .

Didn't take much pictures, so am sharing just 2 pictures here. Krishna (Kittigadu) & Vishaal (vis-racing) should do the detailed post with pictures/videos as this was their first OTR.
It would be nice & fair to have them post their experiences over the 2 days.

And yes, also met T-BHP member Seerajunnithan on the way down. He had come there do do some was doing some wild life photography.

So here are the 2 pictures from me for this OTR.

This is where I had pitched my tent -- right at the edge of a ~1000 ft steep cliff which gives you views of 100's of km's all over. The pictures don't convey even 5% of how it feels up there. This is pure bliss and heaven @ 6.15 am in the morning.

Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-img_0321.jpg

And this is Kitti's Jeep. Looking awesome as ever and part of the elements.
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-img_0315.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th September 2008 at 22:36.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wow, the first photo gives a chill. Was it wise to peg the tent so close to the cliff? One kick by the elephant can send you rolling.

Awaiting full report.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Was it wise to peg the tent so close to the cliff? One kick by the elephant can send you rolling.

Awaiting full report.
or one strong wind blast can send you parachuting.. never underestimate the elements on a mountain..
Wow you guys are having a blast...hoping to see more pics and detailed report.
Old 15th September 2008, 09:55   #4
BHPian

My Report is under preparation. Nice to meet all of you guys, though it was for a short time.

--Sree--
Old 15th September 2008, 10:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

And certainly not for the guys who keep rolling while sleeping

Back to topic, its so thrilling to see that tent picture. So, waiting for Krishna and others to post the pictures.

@Krishna, are you late to office today? Why no pics so far
Old 15th September 2008, 10:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey that tent is scary Shahnawaz. Excellent place and weather though.

Looking forward for a full report with more pics.

Abhi
Old 15th September 2008, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Krishna (Kittigadu) flagged me down on ORR near Bellandur on his way back after purchasing the tents and other required materials @ around 7.00PM on friday and that was how i came to know about this OTR.

So Shahnawaz bhai is this a warm up OTR just before your Sakleshpur trip?
Old 15th September 2008, 11:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Khan_sultan is rocking with OTR at almost every weekend. We are seeing lots of OTR report by Shahnawaz. Great Enthu!

By the way how you keep yourself away from snakes and scorpions when you sleep in tent.
Old 15th September 2008, 12:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good teaser, Khan!

Kittu's MM good beautiful! Would be making it my personal laptops's desktop wallpaper.

And, is that tent really on the edge (no pun intended). I don't think so, it seems more like an illusion due to the photo's angel and the mist!?

I hope all of you made back safe and sound. Now... get on with sharing the experience and photos!
Old 15th September 2008, 12:23   #10
NIP
Senior - BHPian

man...looks like you guys had a blast ! i wish i could make it. more pics please
Old 15th September 2008, 14:14   #11
BHPian

My unexpected first OTR

My unexpected first OTR

Hello All,

Since I was planning for a birding trip with my Friends Alwan and Mandar, I could not join this OTR. By the time Jammy came up with the suggestion, we already planned for this birding trip. As we narrowed down to Muthathi and Kavery River beds for birding, I was not sure which vehicle to take. Roads where ok when we visited this place last time, so it was doable in my car also. But somehow I felt that I should take my Jeep this time.
I knew it will be tough for the guy who is sitting behind, since my soft top is non-removable. We often roll down the windows and by using a bean bag we support our long tele lens for avoiding shakes. I was half an hour late to start from Bangalore. Picked-Up Alwan and headed to Bannaggetta road for Mandar. He was unlucky to sit behind. Then we drove to Kanakpura, had stocked water/Biscut and smoke from our regular shop.

Some where Between Kanakpura and Bangalore for a birding session.
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeep1.jpg
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeep2.jpg

By the time we reached Muthathi, the light was so harsh for photography.
We stopped at Muthathi for some snacks and tea. And headed towards Kaveri River Beds. There is one small temple at right side of road, we parked the Jeep there and decided to explore on foot for birding. It was so refreshing. Suddenly we spotted this Jungle owlet-a lifer for me. Unlike other Owls/Owlets these guys are so active during the day time. We spent some time with this fella and headed forward.

Jungle Owlet

Name:  Jungle_owlet1.jpg
Views: 4751
Size:  194.1 KB

Another Pose
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jungle_owlet2.jpg

I desperately wanted to have a glimpse of Brown Fish Owl and Fish Eagles. However we were not lucky enough to spot them . At last we reached a rocky terrain from where we could not go further. It was time for Mandar to test his new Sigma 10-20mm wide angle. We saw some whitewater rafting guys, probably from Kaveri fishing camp. They will raft till Muthathi, and a 4X4 Camper will pick them up back to fishing camp.
Rafting + Off-Roading interesting isn’t it?

We finished that stretch and came back to Jeep. I noticed that one of the fog lamp cover has came out, Thanks to Monkeys. Fortunately it was there on the bonnet. We packed up everything and decided to go forward for next location. That’s when one Green Armada 4X4 came and stopped there. It was so familiar to me, and decided to have a closer look.
Whoila!!! The sticker of palar challenge. By that time he started and went off. We continued our journey and the Armada was coming back. This time I didn’t want to miss him so I just waved my hand. He stopped there and it was Sreeni with his Expoler. It was the same Jeep came back from J&K. He told that he is going to Solegere to meet all of you.
He also wanted to check his New Automatic Free wheeling hubs from lambda which they gave him for testing.

This is how it works, Put the 4WD and just drive forward, within half turn it will lock. For unlocking, One need to put it 2WD and take reveres it will dis-engage within half rotation. Sreeni invited us to join with him. Since I never had any OTR experience, I was confused. But when he encouraged me, we decided to join. We took a left from the main road to mud road. After a while, I stopped the Jeep and Locked the Hubs. Guys it may be an easy terrain for all of you, but for me it was dead scary. My jeep was jumping from rock to rock. Most of the terrain I did in 2LOW and 3LOW, apart from some steep climbs. Sreeni had some problems since his tyre has got less grips and the failure of his automatic Free Wheeling Hubs. The front right Hub was slipping continuously and he got struck. Finally he decided to change the Automatic one with Manual Free Wheeling hubs.

On the way to top.
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeep3.jpg

Armada Got struck Notice the removed hub on Bonnet
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeep_armada1.jpg

Right side Hub is removed.
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeep_armada_wheel.jpg

Within 15 minutes we were all set to go. After that it was so challenging for me. Often Alwan got down and directed me. Mandar was getting bounced behind . I finally reached that tricky tree. I had no clue how should I approach. As usual Alwan got out and directed me. But my soft top rubbed against the tree on the right side. After a while we saw the first jeep parked. They were on the way back. Got down, while chit-chatting with them other Jeeps came down one by one. Met Shahnawaz, Jammy, Andy and Krishna. They went back and I had a little doubt whether to follow them or go on top. Finally decided to follow Sreeni and go on top. What a spectacular place WOW!!!.

Jeep on top
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeetop1.jpg

One more view
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeeptop2.jpg

Explorer on Top
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-jeep_armada_ontop.jpg

Mandar and Alwan Busy making some Landscapes.
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-alwan_mandar.jpg

After spending some time, it was getting cloudy. I just imagined if it rains on this trail I am dead!!! So Rushed Mandar and Alwan to go back. They were angry on me for going back so soon. Sreeni also suggested we will go back before it rains.

Look at the rain somewhere far.
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-rain.jpg

Finally we decided to go back thru a different route. After a while it started raining. Suddenly Mandar told me to stop the Jeep. I thought he noticed some wildlife. He just opened the door and got out for enjoying the forest rain. We came down and joined in Kanakpura road thru a different route. There was elephant dung all over the place.
After an hours drive we are back in civilization. Before hitting the tarmac I unlocked the Hubs. By that time we were feeling so hungry since we ran out of all Biscuits packs.
We stopped at Kanakpura and had masala dosas and Tea. It was time to say adieu to Sreeni. And we headed back to Bangalore.

We took a right to Nice road for some more off-roading and avoiding busy Kanakpura road. Those Balenos and small car drivers where staring at us for gliding from rock to rock while they are searching for a way to come out safe while it was raining. Dropped Mandar at his apartment and we headed back to Vignan Nagar. Dropped Alwan and reached home around 7:30PM.

She got me back safely without much damage apart from LOT of scratches (Need to change the Metallic paint). And some oil leak from the transfer case (?) portion.

It was one HECK of an experience

PS: Shahnawaz, please count one more for Shakleshpur OTR. Alwan told that he want to join after the terrific experience he had here (Thinking to make him as my official photographer ). Got permission from Sreeni to display his License plate, hence not masking

Looking forward to meet you all at Shakleshpur.
--Sree--
Old 15th September 2008, 14:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...Was it wise to peg the tent so close to the cliff? One kick by the elephant can send you rolling.....
hahahha... very true Sharath. One kick by the elephant and our tent would have been rolling over. but there was no way elephant would have come there that night. What you see in the picture is 'calm & peace'. One doesn't get the idea of how the 'rest of the place was'. The elephant would have wondered where the hell he/she was. And yes, to reach my tent, the elephant would have had trampled some 10-15 other people on the way and seeing my fellow jeepers/off-roaders trampled, I would have happily started rolling down the cliff myself :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
or one strong wind blast can send you parachuting.. never underestimate the elements on a mountain..
The tent was pegged solidly to the ground and anchored with stones inside/outside also. No question of it flying away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Hey that tent is scary Shahnawaz. ...
It may look scary in the picture, but in reality it is NOT. It is sooooooo calm & peaceful and comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
... is this a warm up OTR just before your Sakleshpur trip?
No, every OTR is the 'main OTR'. No warm up OTR's buddy :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
...By the way how you keep yourself away from snakes and scorpions when you sleep in tent.
No Idea. I think they keep away from us. But the tent is all closed and I don't think that snake/scorpions can come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
.. And, is that tent really on the edge (no pun intended). I don't think so, it seems more like an illusion due to the photo's angel and the mist!? ...
The tent was some 3-4 ft away from the cliff on 2 sides and was perfectly safe.

Maybe these pictures would help you visualize it better (or worse).

Other tents when viewed from my tent:
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-img_0320.jpg

View of the other tents from say 'tent#X'
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-img_0309.jpg

View of the 'tent#X' and my tent
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept-img_0307.jpg

Now rest of pictures and report by Kitti, vis etc..

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th September 2008 at 14:37.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

How cold was it inside the tent? The place seems to be misty & cold.
Old 15th September 2008, 14:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
How cold was it inside the tent? The place seems to be misty & cold.
Yes, the pace was misty and the wind was very very very strong & chilly.

Within the tent, it is not sooo cold if you have a sleeping bag and a thermo-foam mat to place on the tent floor (not the ground).

and yes, once a few pegs of rum, vodka, whisky have gone down your throat, you don't even know if it was cold
Old 15th September 2008, 14:54   #15
BHPian

Where is this place and how to reach there from bangalore ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks