Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 17:21   #31
BHPian

Yes stones will help, but not the small ones as they do just the opposite of what you intend to do with it. Undoubtly a 4x2 will have an open differential(though there are a few vehicles that use some kind of lockers besides being 4x2's, and one of is the Hindustan HM-RTV, which has a limited slip locker with 4x2). And since it is a 4x2, you have to take care that there is equal traction on both sides of the driven axle on the entire path where you think the vehicle might get stuck. Force applied,like lightening, will take the easiest path, so even if one side gets stuck and you put something under the wheel so gain traction, it may even start slipping the other side that normally had traction(you are on a muddy terrain, so even the other side is muddy and may end up as the surface with less traction if whatever you put under the other wheel has made it to hold more traction).
What is most ignored fact in indian offroading community is articulation. It does the job where a locker will fail. The Bolero has that advantage and therefore even though it may not have lockers it is still a better offroader than a Tempo trax with lockers. A locker is needed where one wheel leaves contact with the surface or looses traction. A stabilizer in the suspension system is a major setback to axle articulation but at the same time it is an absolute necessety in top heavy vehicles like the trax and safari.The Trax has a very stiff set of stabilizers, used both at the front and rear, so a locker is a must there, as lack of articulation always makes it lift the wheels at the frequency a dog lifts its leg after finding a pole. A bolero on the other hand, especially the front leaf spring version(4x2 or 4x4) has got a very long ,and straight set of leaf springs, which makes it more flexible than lifted springs(such as on the camper), and as for stabilizers, its got one and thats at the front only(actually thorough bred offroaders looking forward to use their bolero offroadshould invest in making a quick disconnect for the stabilizer, thereby having the onroad advantages and after disconnecting it ,the full articulation for offroad conditions).
A locked 4x2 vehicle can do 80% of the things a 4x4 does.
In the situation where the Bolero was stuck, you could use a lot of things ,rocking ,stones,etc,etc, but the best thing to do was to jack it up and slam a plank under the vehicle, as not only will it give more traction, but also will make a bridge over the surface. Some offroaders also carry air inflated bags that they use as jacks. Since mounting a jack on uneven surface is quite difficult, the bag can be thrown underneath the vehicle and inflated by mounting its inlet pipe on the silencer exhaust pipe. Air jacks can be used where even high lift jacks have difficulty.As for the wierd idea of carrying a plank and a massive bag to these places is much the same as using a 4x2 here.
Old 25th September 2008, 18:14   #32
BHPian

I hope to conquer this trail sometime; sometime when its not raining and the trail is dry.
Old 25th September 2008, 19:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Yes stones will help, but not the small ones as they do just the opposite of what you intend to do with it.
Synthetic stones work better.
Old 25th September 2008, 19:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

My personal opinion is your vehicle could have done the slopy section if taken with a velocity.

@spitfire I felt the new bolero had the plastic extension for the bumper while the older version had a complete metal one. Please clarify
Old 25th September 2008, 20:54   #35
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
I hope to conquer this trail sometime; sometime when its not raining and the trail is dry.
awwww! whats the fun in that?
take some friends with you, and go with a bunch of 4X4s, they will bail you out if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
@DD- its amazing what you get away with!

Old 25th September 2008, 21:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
yeh ,thats why i once put the floor matts to gain some traction, but i destroyed the matt completely. Had been on a hunt, and while we guys had a 4x4 bolero, a trax and a willys ,the 4x2 bolero was still used ,and had the rear seats removed, so that we could just place the kill in it . The 4x2 got stuck is an area with a lot of loose sand, kind of like desert sand but it was the hilly area near chandigarh, and the only way out of these areas is to go fast and not brake at all or you get stuck, about the same as in snow, but there you dont get stuck ,instead you skid and fall off a cliff(i dont need to tell you dirty dan, you live in dharamsala, so you probably have a lot more experiance over that terrian than i do). Anyways we put a small plank had underneath the vehicle to jack it up, and then placed slate(the stones were about 4inches long but flat on the sides) all the way till the end of the sandy area. This helped we gain traction and build a little bit of momentum to clear the entire area.
Old 25th September 2008, 23:11   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
What is most ignored fact in indian offroading community is articulation.
Are you sure about this statement? The most popular vehicle in Indian offroading community is Jeep, and that is known for excellent articulation, better than even Bolero if I may say so. Why do you feel Indian offroaders ignore this?

Most Viewed