Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 06:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
mjothi, Hrag, Vijay & Andy, thanks for your company..
You are welcome man. Btw, I hope someone took the pics of you and your friend hanging out of the safari. Anyone took it?
Waiting for your pics. Upload it soon.
And good luck for your search of a Bolero.
Old 21st October 2008, 08:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I do that a lot with my CJ340. Recently I put my boss on passenger seat on a slight uphill, and jumped out of driver seat. It happily chugged along and climbed the incline without ABC and to his wonder. After sometime he started steering from the other side to avoid some shrubs.
I think it shows the level of confidence you have on your vehicle. Right?

Because, when I drove the Kitty's jeep on these inclines, I did nothing but just hold on to the wheel. It was moving all by itself. But not sure everyone will have the confidence to leave it and get down

May be once you beleive in NO brake, NO clutch, NO pedal concept, then people will.

Same thing with the Safari. It was crawling in 4L for quite some distance, but did not notice it on a steep inclines.

May be next time, what say Hrishi?
Old 21st October 2008, 08:48   #48
BHPian

Hey .Nice report and pics.Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.It's been a long time since so many vehicle went on a day's OTR. Just one matter of concern.
1> Who is the chap standing in line of the descending safari???
2> Why didnt any one warn him not to do so??
3> In the past we have had my jeep,vivek's jeep,Srini's jeep and others' experience failure and slide down.
4> One must not only ensure one's vehicle's and own safety but the safety of the whole team while driving.
Cheers
Jammy
Old 21st October 2008, 09:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

There will be telecast of Ramanagara OTR of Jeepers and Gypsyers and ofcourse Tata Safari on TV9 this morning between 10.10 a.m. and 10.30 a.m. There might be a re-cast this evening as well. Will inform you .

Dwarak
Old 21st October 2008, 09:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Mahesh, excellent narration and wonderful pics.

Wish I could make in some OTR someday.

Abhi
Old 21st October 2008, 09:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
... When all these happening here, look at our Khan, he started putting "8" on the hill top.
By that time I had already done that climb easily in 4WD and was just loafing around. Here my wife was pestering me to take the Gypsy down again so that she could take that incline -- to which I said that if you want to do it, take the Gypsy down there yourself.

Quote:
After all those "8"s Khan comes down to take it on this. First he tries but fails, loses traction and he is back to ground.
... Then in the next attempt he took it straight with some difficulty though.
This is me trying in 2WD. This was not possible as the base of the hill provided NO traction to get sufficient momentum in 2WD. Then I tried in 4-H and was able to make it slowly to the top but then it failed to go over so had to skid back. I think in next attempt in 4-H, it should have been possible, but I was just freaking out and having fun .
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-second.jpg

In hindsight, If i had tried in reverse in 2WD, I could have possible made at least half way through and maybe even to the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The avatar may ask: "got mud?" but the real question is "got dinner?"
Oh yes. When we both are out of the house, dinner is cooked by the maid so am guaranteed that part .

Quote:
There will be telecast of Ramanagara OTR of Jeepers and Gypsyers and ofcourse Tata Safari on TV9 this morning between 10.10 a.m. and 10.30 a.m. There might be a re-cast this evening as well. Will inform you
Who's doing the recording guys? Some of us have to work in office so can't see TV9 in morning :-)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st October 2008 at 10:03.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Mahesh, excellent narration and wonderful pics.

Wish I could make in some OTR someday.

Abhi
Thanks, Abhi. Seems there may be one around the week of 2nd. Watch this space. If I come to know will keep you informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Hi All,

There will be telecast of Ramanagara OTR of Jeepers and Gypsyers and ofcourse Tata Safari on TV9 this morning between 10.10 a.m. and 10.30 a.m. There might be a re-cast this evening as well. Will inform you .

Dwarak
Was seeing TV9 for the clippings, but could not. Any change in the plan? Now some regular program "warrant" started.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
...Who's doing the recording guys? Some of us have to work in office so can't see TV9 in morning :-)
You mean, most of us!

Hope the re-cast is at some time after 7.30PM!
Old 21st October 2008, 11:33   #54
BHPian

Awesome pics and narration from all.

Missed it as I was in coorg attending a wedding. So the next OTR, where is it?

Whenever the next TR happens < Nov 2nd , I read on this thread> , I'm in, in and in.

Please don't keep it on Nov 7th now, I have a visit to GOD's own country..
Old 21st October 2008, 11:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

The telecast on TV9 is re-scheduled for 11.45 a.m. this morning.

Dwarak
Old 21st October 2008, 11:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
By that time I had already done that climb easily in 4WD and was just loafing around. Here my wife was pestering me to take the Gypsy down again so that she could take that incline -- to which I said that if you want to do it, take the Gypsy down there yourself.

This is me trying in 2WD. This was not possible as the base of the hill provided NO traction to get sufficient momentum in 2WD. Then I tried in 4-H and was able to make it slowly to the top but then it failed to go over so had to skid back. I think in next attempt in 4-H, it should have been possible, but I was just freaking out and having fun .
Attachment 62208

In hindsight, If i had tried in reverse in 2WD, I could have possible made at least half way through and maybe even to the top.

Oh yes. When we both are out of the house, dinner is cooked by the maid so am guaranteed that part .

Who's doing the recording guys? Some of us have to work in office so can't see TV9 in morning :-)
Chetan , submarine will post it on youtube
Dwarak
Old 21st October 2008, 11:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Same thing with the Safari. It was crawling in 4L for quite some distance, but did not notice it on a steep inclines.

May be next time, what say Hrishi?
4L in which gear?

One shouldnt comment on the basis of photographs or videos as you will never get the actual feel of the site, but IMHO this should be a very easy one for the Safari as I have to do bigger inclines on rocks and then go across paddy-field bunds to get to our ancestral temple in Kerala. We usually do that with about 5-6 passengers as all family members who want to avoid the walk pile on when we take the Safari there.
Old 21st October 2008, 11:43   #58
Team-BHP Support

Man!! This place has serious photo opportunities.

King the Khan the Sultan, when is the next?
Old 21st October 2008, 11:58   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
... IMHO this should be a very easy one for the Safari ...
Yes, you are right Steeroid. It was very easy for the safari on the first incline climb. It was climbing as if it was going on highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Rudra, every OTR venue/location/jaunt would have great photo ops. Just hop in -- I hear that there are some plans cooking for 2nd Nov weekend.

I don't think we will be going to Ramanagram any time soon as the 'best part' of the trail has been cropped and out of bounds for OTR's. Jst these 2 rock inclines is no fun if one has to go all the way there. Even in Bidadai the way to top of the hill has been excavated and quarries have made it literally out of bound
Old 21st October 2008, 11:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Hi,

we go once a month. Keep watching the space.

You are welcome

Dwarak

Most Viewed