Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

Is it on TV today? Am at home with a very bad throat (that to an already bad one and yesterdays 1 hr presentation which was the final nail!!!) and also a bad cold to add to it.

If there is a re-telecast, would be able to watch.

Anyway, if not, Dwaraka is there for the rescue!
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Is it on TV today? Am at home with a very bad throat (that to an already bad one and yesterdays 1 hr presentation which was the final nail!!!) and also a bad cold to add to it.

If there is a re-telecast, would be able to watch.

Anyway, if not, Dwaraka is there for the rescue!

re-cast is not there. However once the link is given here, you can watch the same program fully.
Dwarak
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:25   #93
BHPian

I am a newbie to 4X4 fundaes.

So wondering, if the "no clutch, no brakes, no accelerator" theory holds even while climbing UP?
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:47   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iswear View Post
So wondering, if the "no clutch, no brakes, no accelerator" theory holds even while climbing UP?
Nope. The NO-ABC is used only for descending. While climbing just use the A. In certain Jeeps you can do NO-ABC in moderate inclines, but it is not necessary.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:54   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
... While climbing just use the A. ....
@Iswear, In most situations, it should be a gentle & feathery touch while using the "A". Usage of 'A' with a heavy foot on inclines (especially rocky inclines) may lead to some not so pleasant situations.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd October 2008 at 15:55.
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:52   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
May be once you beleive in NO brake, NO clutch, NO pedal concept, then people will.

Same thing with the Safari. It was crawling in 4L for quite some distance, but did not notice it on a steep inclines.

May be next time, what say Hrishi?
The Safari required dabbing of the brake pedal on the first descent (the one where Vinay is riding shotgun). Even with no ABC in 1st - 4L, the downward acceleration is huge and requires some dabbing of the brake pedal. The rear brake lights are configured to come on with the slightest press of the pedal and even before the brake action has begun. Even though I was releasing and activating the brakes (treating it like the clutch on that slope), from the rear, it would have looked like I was riding the brake all the way.

The second time mjothi and I descended the same slope, I used the brake a lot lesser than the first time. mjothi may have felt that huge acceleration with no ABC. Since Vinay had a reference point, he would have felt it if he was there the second time.

Walking the Safari down an incline like that is not something I will try soon - the acceleration makes it too risky.

Uphill - something as heavy as the Safari requires you to rev, but not too much.

Last edited by hrag : 22nd October 2008 at 17:54.
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:16   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nope. The NO-ABC is used only for descending. While climbing just use the A. In certain Jeeps you can do NO-ABC in moderate inclines, but it is not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Iswear, In most situations, it should be a gentle & feathery touch while using the "A". Usage of 'A' with a heavy foot on inclines (especially rocky inclines) may lead to some not so pleasant situations.
Okay. But how exactly does the NO-ABC while descend work?
Like Mrs. Khan, even I don't want to believe that unless hands-on experience!
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:32   #98
BHPian

hey guys. where is this area, i mean is it in karnataka?
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:09   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hey guys. where is this area, i mean is it in karnataka?
Yes. Its around 50KMs from Bangalore on the way to Mysore. Bangy - Kengeri - Bidadi and Ramnagaram.

Quote:
Okay. But how exactly does the NO-ABC while descend work?
Like Mrs. Khan, even I don't want to believe that unless hands-on experience!
Sure. You need to feel it to beleive it. Also, when people say no braking, it does not include the engine braking.
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:54   #100
BHPian

Ayyayyooo I missed this completely. I seldom visit this 4x4 offroading thread and unaware that such meet was planned. You guys had a great and adventurous time !

MJ , excellent pics. While the guys were busy driving up and down the hill, you took the role of a "photograchar" and did an awsome work. I really appreciate your spirit. Felt like I was at the sight with all you guys because of the photos. Great to have you in T-BHP.
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Ayyayyooo I missed this completely. I seldom visit this 4x4 offroading thread and unaware that such meet was planned. You guys had a great and adventurous time !

MJ , excellent pics. While the guys were busy driving up and down the hill, you took the role of a "photograchar" and did an awsome work. I really appreciate your spirit. Felt like I was at the sight with all you guys because of the photos. Great to have you in T-BHP.
Its because we have not yet had those professional photographers uploaded thier pics

Chandan, Are you listening?
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:12   #102
BANNED

chandan will post when he gets back to Bangalore.

Edit: Who's got the betting money?

Last edited by hrag : 22nd October 2008 at 20:31.
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:17   #103
c10
BHPian

Guys im really enjoying every bit reading the comments..

He he, good term - NO- ABC..!!

Millions of Thanks to all who participated the OTR which made the event a memorable one..!!

My quota of pics will follow,

Cheers,
c10.

Last edited by c10 : 23rd October 2008 at 00:19. Reason: Edited a line..
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Walking the Safari down an incline like that is not something I will try soon - the acceleration makes it too risky.
This is the disadvantage in ECU driven vehicles. Hrishi, never try engine braking on your vehicle without using brakes. you will still experience the braking effect but the response would be very slow. this is because its a comfort feature we have in our newer generation diesel engines called as surge dampers to avoid jerks when the vehicle drives the engine. The ECU matches the engine speed to what the vehicle is driving it and ramps it down slowly. this will take few seconds. Due to this the trucks and offroad vehicles are equiped with a engine brake switch which will be manually operated by the driver when going down hill to command the ECU to stop the fuel injection until the engine rpm reaches the idling point.
Old 23rd October 2008, 09:02   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Okay. But how exactly does the NO-ABC while descend work? ...
If one has never driven a 4x4, then it can be very difficult to comprehend -- as in a 2WD you don't get this NO ABC on descend to work effectively.

In 4WD mode, the gearing ratios do the speed reduction/torque manipulation and give 'immense engine braking' characteristics. The vehicle just crawls -- the torque of the engine comes into play.

NOTE: This is very very evident in diesel engines. Not so much in petrol engines (at least the Gypsy. In it you have to feather the brakes at times on descent).

Quote:
chandan will post when he gets back to Bangalore.
With all these rains in past few days, I anm sure Sakleshpur would be a heave for Off-Roading. Am very much tempted to ask Chandan on what is the scene there and if we can have another OTR session there soon :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
...Edit: Who's got the betting money?
He he he.. Good one. Looks like we have a betting syndicate in the making in our OTR gang here :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
.... My quota of pics will follow...
Chetan, you have been saying this for past 2-3 days buddy.

On a separate note, it's great to know that you enjoyed your first OTR experience. I am sure it is a different 'high' compared to the 'racing' world.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd October 2008 at 09:10.

Most Viewed