Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:19   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi

Btw, where was this? And how did you made it?
Attachment 63119
Hey Mahesh, i had posted a mini report on this. wel it went lost with no clue in the floods of your wonderful report . here you can check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1023133-post45.html
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:35   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iswear
Hey, can I know the exact model/make etc of this vehicle?
Thanks .. And again, keep my Aptitude level in mind and explain me every bit of it!!
Yeah sure. It is mahindra cj500d 4wd which is a stock vehicle with no mods in engine, power train and the body. It has International aka B275(tractor) aka MD2350 engine. 3 speed gearbox. and it is 26 years old now . this kinda jeep served the police and forest dept for several years. infact my jeep has served the police dept till 1991.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:03   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan
With all these rains in past few days, I anm sure Sakleshpur would be a heave for Off-Roading. Am very much tempted to ask Chandan on what is the scene there and if we can have another OTR session there soon :-)
Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
.... Khan Bhai, i am game now itself, Chandan are you litening? . Now, that will be one of the most challenging terrain with all these rain. @Star_Aqua
Get yourself a soft top. We are heading Shakhleshpur next weekend ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
.... Wow! then i should use this weekend completely to get the work done. I should also come with NDMS tires then..
Folks, our wish has been answered. The next OTR has already been planned & announced. Check the Suzuki_Gypsy_India yahoo group for details (Thanks a ton Dwarak for taking the lead):

Sakleshpur on 1st/2nd Nov. (Agenda similar to how it was last time around) This time we will try some tough trails also.

PS: Should we start a new thread on this :-)

Cheers,
Old 24th October 2008, 11:20   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Khan Bhai, i am game now itself, Chandan are you litening? . Now, that will be one of the most challenging terrain with all these rain. @Star_Aqua
Get yourself a soft top. We are heading Shakhleshpur next weekend cheers:

Thanks
--Sree--
Muh ke baath Cheenli!

1st and 2nd November being Saturday and Sunday is ideal weekend for OTR at Sakleshpur with rain continueing. Please confirm participation.

Samurai, hope this time you are free.

Schedule:

Leave Bangalore at 6 a.m. on 1st Nov and reach Chandan's place by lunch. Proceed to OTR with help of Vikram Gowda on Munjarabad trail. Night Camp fire and dinner. Pitch tents.

2nd Nov, go on OTR trail, sand blasting and return to base for lunch. Afterwhich, we proceed back to bangalore to reach home late in the evening.

So, Who are all game for :

Dwarak
Old 24th October 2008, 11:25   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys think about an ABS in this situation? .......
Quote:
No Sree, ABS works only in the panic braking and it will see that your vehicle will .......
Quote:
..... any insight about traction control? Especially in a struck situation where your wheels are spinning away to glory?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Traction control is more useful in offroading I suppose, since it is like LSD on steroids to put it crudely....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
ABS at low speeds??? how is that done now?? by jamming on the brakes real hard at low speed....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
traction control would ensure that there is limited tire slip in acceleration on slippery surfaces. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Just to add, ABS comes in to play when the wheels ....
Oye folks, take this discussion elsewhere (if a similar thread exists) or start a new thread on this subject. Reasons:
  • Good points, if any, will get lost in this thread which is about an OTR report.
  • More people could then see the questions being asked and reply. Some folks who 'actually' know about this subject can also then pitch in.
  • I for one don't want to be reading all this expert comments in the middle of a wonderful OTR jaunt thread. Let's keep this thread to what it is/was intended to be. We already have had one 'No-ABC' stuff in the middle of this thread -- I think that's enough.
Cheers,
Old 24th October 2008, 11:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Oye folks, take this discussion elsewhere (if a similar thread exists) or start a new thread on this subject. Reasons:
  • Good points, if any, will get lost in this thread which is about an OTR report.
  • More people could then see the questions being asked and reply. Some folks who 'actually' know about this subject can also then pitch in.
  • I for one don't want to be reading all this expert comments in the middle of a wonderful OTR jaunt thread. Let's keep this thread to what it is/was intended to be. We already have had one 'No-ABC' stuff in the middle of this thread -- I think that's enough.
Cheers,
Good point. But the context always helps while dicussing otherwise dry technical stuff.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:55   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah sure. It is mahindra cj500d 4wd which is a stock vehicle with no mods in engine, power train and the body. It has International aka B275(tractor) aka MD2350 engine. 3 speed gearbox. and it is 26 years old now . this kinda jeep served the police and forest dept for several years. infact my jeep has served the police dept till 1991.
Thanks Vijay for replying in detail. I just love your vehicle

Quote:
Folks, our wish has been answered. The next OTR has already been planned & announced. Check the Suzuki_Gypsy_India yahoo group for details (Thanks a ton Dwarak for taking the lead):

Sakleshpur on 1st/2nd Nov. (Agenda similar to how it was last time around) This time we will try some tough trails also.

PS: Should we start a new thread on this :-)

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Muh ke baath Cheenli!

1st and 2nd November being Saturday and Sunday is ideal weekend for OTR at Sakleshpur with rain continueing. Please confirm participation.

Samurai, hope this time you are free.

Schedule:

Leave Bangalore at 6 a.m. on 1st Nov and reach Chandan's place by lunch. Proceed to OTR with help of Vikram Gowda on Munjarabad trail. Night Camp fire and dinner. Pitch tents.

2nd Nov, go on OTR trail, sand blasting and return to base for lunch. Afterwhich, we proceed back to bangalore to reach home late in the evening.

So, Who are all game for :

Dwarak
I am game with the schedule and I so want to be part of this. I don't have a 4X4. But would like to tag along. Star_Aqua, are you listening?
Old 24th October 2008, 15:44   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
Hey Chetan,

Some nice pictures you have captured in there. Some nice captions also.

In the picture below
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-19102008807.jpg

it seems like you are

A: Either calling someone on how the hell to get out of here

B: or, calling your 'goons' to kidnap some or some supari business.

A mean looking picture :-)

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th October 2008 at 15:49.
Old 28th October 2008, 22:44   #129
c10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Chetan,

Some nice pictures you have captured in there. Some nice captions also.

In the picture below
Attachment 63433

it seems like you are

A: Either calling someone on how the hell to get out of here

B: or, calling your 'goons' to kidnap some or some supari business.

A mean looking picture :-)

Cheers,
Well Khan,
It was not " how the hell to get out of here " it was actually " WHEN THE HELL WILL YOU GET OUT OF THERE ".. as discussed i had informed my people back home that i was going out on a TEAM OUTING for lunch from office which was compulsory..

Last edited by c10 : 28th October 2008 at 22:46. Reason: Edited a line
Old 29th October 2008, 08:48   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
Well Khan,
It was not " how the hell to get out of here " it was actually " WHEN THE HELL WILL YOU GET OUT OF THERE ".. as discussed i had informed my people back home that i was going out on a TEAM OUTING for lunch from office which was compulsory..
hee hee.
i once went to mangalore on my bike, while at home they thought i was in office!
Old 29th October 2008, 10:26   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chethan is trying to upload 112mb file on Youtube . But the Youtube guys are deleting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
I went to TV9 office yesterday ..... So, in case chetan is finding it difficult, i can help in the compression and put it on Youtube, vimeo or burn CDs/DVDs for that matter.

Chetan are you listening. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Is it on TV today? .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
.....However once the link is given here, you can watch the same program fully....

What's happening with the video guys? where is it and how will it be made available for poor folks who cold not watch TV9 that day??

Anyone listening here!!!!!

Cheers,
Old 29th October 2008, 11:03   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iswear View Post
Okay. But how exactly does the NO-ABC while descend work?
Like Mrs. Khan, even I don't want to believe that unless hands-on experience!
For Hands on experience, take your vehicle [any make] put it on top of a steep descent , move in 1st gear and take your foot off the ABC and watch the car descend. It works on Bikes too. ECU, Carb all kinds of vehicles, pnly the degree of acceleration while decent will vary!

But be careful!

Quote:
This is the disadvantage in ECU driven vehicles. Hrishi, never try engine braking on your vehicle without using brakes. you will still experience the braking effect but the response would be very slow. this is because its a comfort feature we have in our newer generation diesel engines called as surge dampers to avoid jerks when the vehicle drives the engine. The ECU matches the engine speed to what the vehicle is driving it and ramps it down slowly. this will take few seconds. Due to this the trucks and offroad vehicles are equiped with a engine brake switch which will be manually operated by the driver when going down hill to command the ECU to stop the fuel injection until the engine rpm reaches the idling point.
No Sir, I completely Disagree with the above point. Have been there done that to tell you this. And I dont know much about the theory sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iswear View Post
How do you EXACTLY 'experience' it? I mean, it is breaking my head to understand that I do NO-ABC and still go down a descend. I only can imagine going down the highway to hell
if you press the clutch then sure it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Err. wait a minute, Arent petrols supposed to give better engine braking than diesels.
Petrols are also more free revving than diesels and hence counter the above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

But, in off-road vehicles, the 4L also plays a role. So, the effect of the lower engine RPM and lower gearing in 4L makes the MM540 have better engine braking than the MG410W when going downhill (I have always had to use the brake when going downhill in the Gypsy, but yes, the brakes have to be used with caution)
Also, the inherent revvability of the engine plays a vital role in non ECU vehicles!
Old 29th October 2008, 18:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if the video is uploaded or not? If yes, link please
Old 29th October 2008, 20:11   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
For Hands on experience, take your vehicle [any make] put it on top of a steep descent , move in 1st gear and take your foot off the ABC and watch the car descend. It works on Bikes too. ECU, Carb all kinds of vehicles, pnly the degree of acceleration while decent will vary!

But be careful!

if you press the clutch then sure it is

Thanks for asking me to be careful
Old 30th October 2008, 10:21   #135
Senior - BHPian

Ramanagara OTR TV9 Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Any idea if the video is uploaded or not? If yes, link please
Hi,

I have the Video CD and is very big file of 670 mb. Tried uploading in Youtube, with no success. Can anybody help me out .

Warm regards,
Dwarak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks