Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 20:13   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills

Woke up at 6.00 am and me and wifey got ready by 6.30 am to hit the road for the ramanagram OTR. The original plan was to take the NICE road and meet all the folks @ Kadumane at ~7.30 am and avoid going to METRO.

As we started on bannerghatta road I called up Dwaraka and asked what the attendance status was. He said it was just him and Gireesh there. This gave me enough of a signal that folks will be late as usual. Instead of waiting at Kadumane, I thought that waiting at METRO would be more appropriate so went there instead.

As usual only a few folks were there and as usual had to wait for people to trickle in. Here are the steeds waiting for action
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0340.jpg

And yes, what's an OTR without bonnets being open. Here are 2 of these. The Gypsy being taped as the engine mount was loose and the pipes were leaking.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0341.jpg

The jeep just being checked -- just in case or just plain engine gazing by enthusiast fellow jeepers.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0342.jpg

Soon we all headed towards the NICE road and reached Kadumane for b-fast and took more than an hour for all people to come and finish b-fast. I am sure folks stopping there would have wondered what on earth were so many jeeps & gypsies doing there.

After a sumptuous b-fast we all were at Ramanagram in no time. Here are some of the rides lined up at the side of a hill (we couldn't do it as the base of this hill was full of very soft mud/slush -- guaranteed mess and headache with sooo many vehicles)
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0344.jpg

At the base of the hill on the other side.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0348.jpg

So, one by one, folks started the climb up a small hill. Most of the first timers just freaked out and given a chance would have spent the day going up and coming down. (that's the high one gets in their first OTR :-))

Here is suresh leading the way.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0349.jpg
On the top now.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0350.jpg

Dwaraka preparing to start with his Bridgestone H/T tyres. You have to give it Dwaraka for this enthusiasm and never say die attitude.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0352.jpg

Tyres spinning halfway up to the top.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0351.jpg

My wifey wanted to take the gypsy up the climb. So here is she on the top after she went halfway in her first attempt (she couldn't resist using the clutch and stalled midway up).
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0354.jpg

Then she wanted bring the Gypsy down the slope she here is she taking the biggest possible U turn on top of the hill
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0358.jpg
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0359.jpg
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0360.jpg

In the end I couldn't resist taking the gypsy in 2WD up this hill climb and did it very easily :-) I myself was really surprised at how easily this was done. (but one another spot some 1/2 hr later just 2WD on an incline did not work. No traction at the ground on the base of the climb itself was one of the culprit)

This is when nearly all of the folks were at the top of the small hill and doing the up and down thing.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0357.jpg

Yes. It's not everyday that you can take a picture of 3 white Gypsies. This captures the history of Gypsies in India. [L-R: 1.0L, 1.3L Carb, 1.3L MPFI]
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0363.jpg

While most of the folks were having their fill of the hill up and down circus, some of us went further to the OTR path only to see that all the terrain/land further has been 'cropped' by farmers and we could not proceed without damaging their crops. So we all decided not to pursue further but have another incline climb at the other side of the hill which had water on it and black fungus as a result of water. I don't have pictures of that part so from here some other person will have to post about that + TV9 coverage + bidadi + the rainstorm on the way back etc.

Yes, here is Kiran's Caterpillar. Looking ravishing.
Off roading Report- Ramnagaram Sholay Hills-img_0364.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th October 2008 at 20:30.
Old 19th October 2008, 20:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

4x4 Safari 3.0 L doing a hill climb: A video

While a detailed report would be given by the owner, here is a short video of the safari doing the hill climb. In the audio you can hear 'bets' being talked about if will be able to do it or not :-) (It's my voice saying that it will be able to do it because of the immense torque it has)

If you notice carefully, one can even see the LSD working. There were split seconds of wheel slippage and LSD coming into play.

Cheers,
Old 19th October 2008, 20:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Gypsy King -- down the slope: A video

Here is the video of my wifey bringing the Gypsy down the slope.

She had always been intrigued by as how on earth "No Accelerator, No Clutch, No Brake" technique works on a slope. "Engine Braking" is something that she can't understand and really it takes time for people to get used to not try using brakes on an slope.

Notice the folks around giving tons of advice to her. I doubt if she even heard anything. Notice people saying left, right, left etc all through :-)

Cheers,
Old 19th October 2008, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a good off roading meet. Had to miss this for personal reasons. Keep the pics flowing.
Old 19th October 2008, 21:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

And so the flow starts.

Hope you guys made it safe back before the rain, or did you have to drive back in the rain.
Old 19th October 2008, 21:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...Hope you guys made it safe back before the rain, or did you have to drive back in the rain.
Don't even ask. I have yet to drive in more heavy and blinding rain. It was a nightmare driving back on the Mysore road from Bidadi -- very very low visibility.
Old 19th October 2008, 22:36   #7
BANNED

I took one picture and then got busy having fun. My detailed report will come up once I have access to the pictures taken by others. Thanks to all those who made it - Dwarak, hats off for organizing this.

Question of the day (from so many people) - Where is the 4WD lever?
Old 19th October 2008, 22:47   #8
BHPian

Nice pictures of this wonderful event.
Old 19th October 2008, 23:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Wow, report is already in! Fantastic shots so far.

K_S, looks like your wife was tapping the brakes in the beginning. Soon she will get over that need, if she keeps at it.
Old 20th October 2008, 09:42   #10

hey guys looks like you had fun, Another incentive for me to get my jeep ready soon, so that I can join you for the next one!!
Cheers- Sai
Old 20th October 2008, 09:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...K_S, looks like your wife was tapping the brakes in the beginning. Soon she will get over that need, if she keeps at it.
Yes, you are right. As I mentioned earlier, she can't understand the 'theory' of 'no acc, no clutch, no brake' thing on slopes. She now has got a little hang of it now. She says that one can learn this only by doing and no amount of theory will help.

I think for most folks who are new to the 4x4 world, 'no brakes/engine braking' is something that takes a little while to get used to.

PS: I was ~300 mts away from her while she was doing the incline/slope (was on camera duty and also in anyway I knew she would get nervous if i try to tell her the theory)

PPS: Having said all this, the 'engine braking' characteristics of a jeep/diesel vehicle are lots different from a Gypsy (at least in my 1.3L mpfi). So while the principle of 'engine braking' holds good in petrol Gypsies also, one needs to be aware of the subtle difference and at times one has to feather the brakes a bit. Trust me, I have tried NOT using brakes on steep slopes and in my Gypsy in 4L-1st the downward acceleration is still huge.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Khan_sultan,

Thanks! It was a great report. Pictures will follow from all participants.

Hrag,

You had the guts to take up the Safari to top defying betting remarks. Safari Ads need to be relooked by Tata's. Nice having you on the event. Look forward to seeing you more often.

Dwarak

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th October 2008 at 12:01. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics & videos. Man, i never heard about the bet when i was there. may be too busy near Safari doing its climb. Btw, did he really gave the money

I would say, this is nothing for the safari. You should have watched the next climb in action. I only have pics.

Since we had no power the whole night. I will upload the pics tonight.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:34   #14
BHPian

Excellent pictures and naration khan sultan.Would love to be in it one day,but first let me get my 4x4 !!
Old 20th October 2008, 11:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Kolkota Off roaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Excellent pictures and naration khan sultan.Would love to be in it one day,but first let me get my 4x4 !!
Hi Ultimate Champ,

Be in touch with UBS. aka Uday Bhan Singh, in Hoogly. He is an inspiration for us 4 X4 WD freaks. He has a collection of over 45 jeeps of all generations. You can join UBS for one of the off roading in your home grounds
Dwarak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks