Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 00:03   #16
BHPian

Basically this time I didnt try serious offroading in snow because this was my first time in snow with safari. Last year I took my 2007 Grand Vitara to rohtang and I got skid on the black ice . And in safari I am now riding on stock tires which i dont think are good to drive on snow/ice. In winters I am going to Kashmir. will step up my tires , get snow chains and then will show the great snow escape.
Old 30th October 2008, 00:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

You must be loving the feeling and noise from driving on the fresh snow
Old 30th October 2008, 00:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
You must be loving the feeling and noise from driving on the fresh snow
it was beautiful like making your own road on snow
Old 30th October 2008, 00:39   #19
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
My bro driving first time in slow. In last 30 secs of the video check out how its suspension balances this bull.
Awesome stuff mate! I have now seriously started thinking of Safari being my next vehicle, calling it a car could sound like disdain to a few

Not sure though whether it should be a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Awesome stuff mate! I have now seriously started thinking of Safari being my next vehicle, calling it a car could sound like disdain to a few

Not sure though whether it should be a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive.
seriously i am kinda started liking this Bull... giving serious thoughts of buying it...
Old 30th October 2008, 01:34   #21
Team-BHP Support

Ok, don't beat me up. But that is light snow, I've driven on much more severe snowy conditions than that in regular FWD cars, but on level roads. They never used to clear the street where my office was located, I often had to drive on 4-6 inches of fresh or hard snow in my sedan. Sometimes, if I see snow fall creeping beyond 6 inches, I used to take off from work ASAP, or else I won't be able to go home. Of course, I did have a snow shovel in the boot all the time for emergencies.

Not just me, anyone who lived in northern parts of US (or above) and along the same latitude all around globe would have to regularlly drive through such snow in normal 2WD cars.

Safari should be able to handle 8-12 inches of snow considering it has 8 inches of GC.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ok, don't beat me up. But that is light snow, I've driven on much more severe snowy conditions than that in regular FWD cars, but on level roads. They never used to clear the street where my office was located, I often had to drive on 4-6 inches of fresh or hard snow in my sedan. Sometimes, if I see snow fall creeping beyond 6 inches, I used to take off from work ASAP, or else I won't be able to go home. Of course, I did have a snow shovel in the boot all the time for emergencies.

Not just me, anyone who lived in northern parts of US (or above) and along the same latitude all around globe would have to regularlly drive through such snow in normal 2WD cars.

Safari should be able to handle 8-12 inches of snow considering it has 8 inches of GC.
i am not saying that this is some kind of offroading.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:46   #23
BHPian

check this threat of Grand Vitara driving on snow.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...pics-vids.html
Old 30th October 2008, 08:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, don't beat me up. But that is light snow, I've driven on much more severe snowy conditions than that in regular FWD cars, but on level roads.
There are two observations here:

1. Is that the chap himself had clarified this a few posts back:

Quote:
Basically this time I didnt try serious offroading in snow because this was my first time in snow with safari. Last year I took my 2007 Grand Vitara to rohtang and I got skid on the black ice . And in safari I am now riding on stock tires which i dont think are good to drive on snow/ice. In winters I am going to Kashmir. will step up my tires , get snow chains and then will show the great snow escape.

2. Is that similar comments would also apply to several of your Jeep and GV threads if one were to apply the same yardstick.

Nothing personal about that comment, so dont beat me up (in any case I wouldnt stand a chance if you decided to). I'm trying to see how this is different from "GV goes to the shopping mall" or "Jeep goes over the hill".

EDIT: Okay, the pictures not even a teeny weeny patch on yours.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th October 2008 at 08:56.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:00   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
2. Is that similar comments would also apply to several of your Jeep and GV threads if one were to apply the same yardstick.

Nothing personal about that comment, so dont beat me up (in any case I wouldnt stand a chance if you decided to). I'm trying to see how this is different from "GV goes to the shopping mall" or "Jeep goes over the hill".
Not really Steer. Can you point out at least one thread I have posted in 4x4 section, which could have been easily done in cars? The thread "Jeep goes over the hill" is totally 4x4 action. And I have never written "GV goes to shopping mall" thread. Even the recent GV in the beach thread is in travelogue section, may be you didn't notice. Being a keen follower of offroading, I would never put non-offroading action in this section. Even the Chikmagalur trip from last year, I put only the offroading part here and rest in travelogue section.

Although I have driven extensively in snow, it was mostly in cars and sometimes in SUV. But I was entirely unaware of offroading, never even heard of that term then. And I was completely ignorant of 4x4 techniques. Always was on street tyres, never used snow chains.

Therefore, driving on snow in roads is not offroading. Everybody who drives in places that get snow does it without thinking. Of course, there is a lot of techniques involved in snow driving, but one gets to learn by practice without attaching any sportiness to it.

We have enough number of members who live in high-snow areas, they would be wondering what all the hoopla about. That is why I posted my comments, no to critic Aman or Safari. I see he has posted the GV thread too while driving under similar conditions, that too is not off-roading. Shouldn't be in this section.
Old 30th October 2008, 12:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see he has posted the GV thread too while driving under similar conditions, that too is not off-roading. Shouldn't be in this section.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the section named "4x4 & Off-roading"? Or is it restricted ONLY to formal 4x4 meets? I'm a little confused.

Also, without any offense to you, to be honest, I found Aman's episode to be quite interesting especially in the light of numeorus open-ended discussions (earlier) about where the Safari can go & where it can't - its threads like this one & Tanveer's & Jaysmokesleaves & ADC's which are putting to bed a lot of "myth" about the use"Less"ness of a 3 tonner in mountain terrain & I think we shouldn't be discouraging them.

There could be a number of "locals" who do muddy, slushy & forest terrains on a daily basis in their four-wheeled or two-wheeled vehicles - that does not, in any way, make your feat any less commendable when you do it.

Just my two cents

Last edited by suman : 30th October 2008 at 12:59.
Old 30th October 2008, 13:48   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the section named "4x4 & Off-roading"? Or is it restricted ONLY to formal 4x4 meets? I'm a little confused.
Suman, this section is for discussing any kind of offroad activities, discussing 4x4 equipment & techniques or specific offroading machines. Sometimes, there are grey areas, where the moderator discretion comes into effect.

Quote:
Also, without any offense to you, to be honest, I found Aman's episode to be quite interesting especially in the light of numeorus open-ended discussions (earlier) about where the Safari can go & where it can't - its threads like this one & Tanveer's & Jaysmokesleaves & ADC's which are putting to bed a lot of "myth" about the use"Less"ness of a 3 tonner in mountain terrain & I think we shouldn't be discouraging them.
We haven't discouraged it, they are still in this section. But just driving on snowed out road, I can't digest that as offroading.

Quote:
There could be a number of "locals" who do muddy, slushy & forest terrains on a daily basis in their four-wheeled or two-wheeled vehicles - that does not, in any way, make your feat any less commendable when you do it.
Muddy, slushy & forest terrains fall into offroad terrain, very few even try it wth a car. But snow and ice happen on everyday regular tar road. If you call driving on road with snow as offroading, then every vehicle on road in Manali on a snow day should be considered an offroader.

If you really want to talk about snow offroading, that is off the tar road, I wouldn't dare take even a Jeep off the road in snowy condition. The reason is simple, the offroad terrain is simply invisible under the snow blanket. I have walked on 1ft snow and suddenly found myself sunk till the knee or waist. You can't recce or spot in snowed out situation, there is no way to find out the ground layout without stepping into it. That too may not tell the whole story because of the weight factor. Then consider the dangers too, if you get stuck in snow in a remote area, you may freeze to death, I know people who came close to it. You need a sled vehicle rather than wheeled vehicle to offroad on snow.

I have driven through hundreds of snow storms, that didn't make me an offroader. I know there are lots of people here who have routinely driven on snowed out roads, jump in anytime and give your views.

Anyway, I am not moving this thread out of here until we clear the confusion about whether driving on snowed roads is offroading or not.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:15   #28
BHPian

Samurai, I was also confused with the name of the thread 4x4&offroading. By name offroading I was clear it refers to what kind of stuff. But by ''4x4'' I thought that we can post any experience with 4wd vehicle. So can move it where it should be. As I am a newbie I am not aware about everything.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:59   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
By name offroading I was clear it refers to what kind of stuff. But by ''4x4'' I thought that we can post any experience with 4wd vehicle. So can move it where it should be.
By that logic all my travelogues should end up in 4x4 section. No, many of my GV and even Jeep travelogues are in Travelogue section if the main focus of the trip wasn't offroading or the vehicle itself.

For now we will leave it here until some concensus develops.

PS: If snow driving is considered offroading, that will push my offroading experience way beyond even Arka's.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By name offroading I was clear it refers to what kind of stuff. But by ''4x4'' I thought that we can post any experience with 4wd vehicle. So can move it where it should be. As I am a newbie I am not aware about everything.
You were trying to use 4x4 in unfamiliar territory, which is technically not a challenging 4x4 scenario (from the look of it).

Samurai was trying to climb a hill in his office compound, which was also not very challenging (from the look of it).

Now Samurai could keep argueing that his scenario was indeed challenging off-road terrain, and you could argue likewise about where you went out - for onlookers like us we're judging both from the pictures and videos of both events.

People may disagree with this being in the 4x4 session or they may disagree on whether Samurai's mound-climb constitutes hard core 4x4, but at the end of the day we're all here to share our experiences and I'm not sure if we should start splitting hairs on what constitutes off-roading or 4x4 and what does not - there are a lot of grey areas.

Most Viewed