Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 15:12   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
Samurai, I was also confused with the name of the thread 4x4&offroading. By name offroading I was clear it refers to what kind of stuff. But by ''4x4'' I thought that we can post any experience with 4wd vehicle. So can move it where it should be. As I am a newbie I am not aware about everything.
I made a mistake . I forgot to type ''you''.
It was - ''So you can move it where it should be''.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:15   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Now Samurai could keep argueing that his scenario was indeed challenging off-road terrain, and you could argue likewise about where you went out - for onlookers like us we're judging both from the pictures and videos of both events.
Many Team-BHPians have visited the spot in person and they can draw their own conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm not sure if we should start splitting hairs on what constitutes off-roading or 4x4 and what does not - there are a lot of grey areas.
Actually, this kind hair-splitting is part of moderators job.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th October 2008 at 15:23.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:18   #33
Team-BHP Support

I think this is 4x4 territory if 2WD vehicles are unable to do the same.
for example a dirt track can be done by car in dry weather, and not done by car in wet weather.
So if a guy takes his car there in summers, its a travelogue, however in the monsoons it can be a 4x4 experience.
So if the Safari went where no 2WD could treat and you made ample use of 4WD, its indeed a 4x4 adventure.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:18   #34
BHPian

please dont argue. any moderator plz move my thread.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
please dont argue. any moderator plz move my thread.
LOL Aman, we are just discussing. No arguing here. This thread can stay here.
Could you update more on what challenges you faced?
I plan to take safari 4x4 to Himalayas this winter and will be doing snow driving.
So did you face steep inclines where even with 4x4 all you got was wheelspin?
Since you went to sub zero temperatures, did you face any diesel freezing issues?
Old 30th October 2008, 15:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pics and videos AMAN and indeed encouraging.

regarding the grey areas etc,let me put my 2 cents too.

Offroading doesnt always mean using a 4x4 vehicle as i have seen people using 4x4 where vehicles could have easily done well with 2WD.
Driver's competence plays a major part in my perception of driving.

Still if MOD team thinks otherwise they can make another subclass saying "Offroading with 2WD vehicles".
Old 30th October 2008, 15:31   #37
BHPian

You see, this thread is really bad, because I actually want to buy a Safari after seeing all this!

Jokes apart, some great stuff here Aman. Very few people would actually have the courage to pull of a night drive on that terrain. Nice car, and nice driving. Were there any other cars driving up at that time, or you were the only one?
Old 30th October 2008, 15:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
You see, this thread is really bad, because I actually want to buy a Safari after seeing all this!

Jokes apart, some great stuff here Aman. Very few people would actually have the courage to pull of a night drive on that terrain. Nice car, and nice driving. Were there any other cars driving up at that time, or you were the only one?
at night nobody was going up. all truckers stopped on their way. and other muv's were making a u turn and also almost everyone of them asked us to return back if we dont have 4wd. will post a video soon of a slipping vehicle.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:39   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very few people would actually have the courage to pull of a night drive on that terrain.
Not really. We did it during our automobile shooting there. Car was a Gypsy.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
LOL Aman, we are just discussing. No arguing here. This thread can stay here.
Could you update more on what challenges you faced?
I plan to take safari 4x4 to Himalayas this winter and will be doing snow driving.
So did you face steep inclines where even with 4x4 all you got was wheelspin?
Since you went to sub zero temperatures, did you face any diesel freezing issues?
I didnt faced any hard challenges. as I was driving on stock tyres I didint took any chances. Safari's LSD works. where i Drove was around 4-5 inch snow.
Didn't face any steep incline. and no freezing diesel.
In winters I am also planning a trip to kashmir with upgraded tires and snow chains.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:54   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think this is 4x4 territory if 2WD vehicles are unable to do the same. for example a dirt track can be done by car in dry weather, and not done by car in wet weather....
My 2 cents (to add to the confusion):

Almost on a daily basis I take the NICE road to work in Bangalore and there is a stretch of approx 1 km that a car can do in dry weather (and possibly in wet weather also with some care).

Now I do that same terrain in my Gypsy almost everyday -- twice a day. But for me it is 4x4/off-roading fun because, I purposefully take the most difficult path in that slush/terrain. At some places I do have to use 4H on some days and on some days just 2WD works (in wet/slush conditions).

So, theoretically, the same terrain can be done in 2WD/4WD but within the same terrain, the route from point A to point B can be different.

If you had to use 4x4 then it's 4WD for you -- regardless of what others have to say.
If not then it's just plain 2WD on a rough track and some nice fun

Cheers,
Old 30th October 2008, 15:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Not really. We did it during our automobile shooting there. Car was a Gypsy.
Ok, that makes it two. Those pictures and videos sure make the drive look exciting! Someday, hope to find time to drive down there to add +1 to the number of people who have driven up Rohtang in the middle of the night.

Either way, not really in the same league as driving to the Mall, right?
Old 30th October 2008, 16:04   #43
BHPian

This was one of the vehicle which as trying to go up at night but could not manage due to 2wd and slippery road.
Old 30th October 2008, 16:15   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok, that makes it two. Those pictures and videos sure make the drive look exciting! Someday, hope to find time to drive down there to add +1 to the number of people who have driven up Rohtang in the middle of the night.

Either way, not really in the same league as driving to the Mall, right?
Not Rohtang, but I drove Shimla to Narkanda in pitch dark over black ice at night.
Many times I would hit ice and start sliding, and bounce off the snow piled on the embankments.
Indica does not have a heater, and it was sub zero, yet my palms were sweaty due to fear

This winter I plan to try Snow driving in a 4x4. I don't think Rohtang will be accessible, but even if we can get to half way, it will be great.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th October 2008 at 16:17.
Old 30th October 2008, 16:27   #45
BHPian

During winters after the first heavy snow fall which can be between 15 dec to 15 jan , rohtang roads are closed. You can go on the rohtang road upto Palchan , which is 10 kms from manali. Till palchan roads are cleared regularly with snow cutters. From Palchan a road goes to solang valley, where you can find good snow on road. I have posted a video of GV driving there. But this year the road to solang valley is widened and you might find it cleared by snow cutters.

Most Viewed