Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 18:05   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not Rohtang, but I drove Shimla to Narkanda in pitch dark over black ice at night.
Many times I would hit ice and start sliding, and bounce off the snow piled on the embankments.
You guys are so lucky, you get to do weekend drives into snow. Yummy.

My best drive through snow was on a trip to Crater Lake. It was snowing pretty bad, all the cars were huddled up on the right lane, leaving the left lane full of fresh snow, and very empty. And since I am extremely law abiding, I was doing the posted speed(60) limit on the left lane.

Quote:
This winter I plan to try Snow driving in a 4x4. I don't think Rohtang will be accessible, but even if we can get to half way, it will be great.
That would be so much fun!

And I should be out of here, I am thinking of a Safari again.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:25   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow in the last video effectively one/two people are able to steer the direction of the vehicle ... some slippery surface that. I would not want to be in such a vehicle even when he turned back. Gravity + ice + downhill drive - lethal combination.
Old 30th October 2008, 22:27   #48
Team-BHP Support

studded winters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
I didnt faced any hard challenges. as I was driving on stock tyres I didint took any chances. Safari's LSD works. where i Drove was around 4-5 inch snow.
Didn't face any steep incline. and no freezing diesel.
In winters I am also planning a trip to kashmir with upgraded tires and snow chains.
Don't use your stock tyres in snow for longer periods.
They're designed for regular road use in warmer temperatures, and not designed to work in cold temperatures.
Cold operation will make them hard and they'll wear faster.
Also, the tread pattern is suited for tarmac.

If you plan on driving regularly in the snow I'd advice you to invest in a decent set of snow tyres. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the difference.
Studded snow tyres are even better, but may not be legal in India - I'm not aware.

Advantage over snow chains is that, when use mount snow tires on your car, you can use it on normal tarmac too, and you don't need to keep switching tyre sets everytime you hit a patch.
If you live in colder climes, you can keep them on throughout winter. (Though you will have to take them off when the temperature starts warming up).
Snow chains limit your speed and are a pain to drive on tarmac.

Widest is not best. Narrower tyres work much better than wider tyres.
I don't know what size tyres the Safari comes with but to give a random example, if your stock size is 255/60R16, then going down to 205 or 225/60R16 will work better in snow.

Enjoy!

Here's the tread on a studded snow tyre - Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 235/60R16 100T M+S.
I used this on my older 7-series, and it worked wonders on the RWD car! So much grip!
Tata Safari 4x4 at Rohtang Pass/Manali-dsc00349.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2008 at 22:35. Reason: Picture added.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:26   #49
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Please stick to topic, no more discussions on where this thread should be or should not be, lets talk more about the adventure, and not digress from this thread
Old 31st October 2008, 13:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Suman, this section is for discussing any kind of offroad activities, discussing 4x4 equipment & techniques or specific offroading machines. Sometimes, there are grey areas, where the moderator discretion comes into effect.
Woh, that was a lengthy reply! To a layman, this section would be the one to list any form of 4x4 journey or adventure.

By the way, just FYI, this was moved to this section by a Moderator.
Old 31st October 2008, 14:24   #51
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod, tire discussion moved here -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-tyres-10.html
Old 7th November 2008, 12:01   #52
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately I rarely used to shoot photographs of cars during snowfalls, I was more worried about the camera. Snow makes everything pretty.

This is one rare one I had taken after I dug the car out of the snow during a major snowfall.
Tata Safari 4x4 at Rohtang Pass/Manali-62439803_emtjal.jpg

Aman, in your next attempt, get some profile shots with wonderful snow swept backgrounds.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

@ AMAN SACHDEV:
Wonderful pics of the Safari in snow and even the Grand Vitara in the earlier thread.
Having never driven in snow, I hope to experience this too some day. Im sure it must be fun and hair raising too, especially if you try it on roads alike Rohtang, where a wrong move and a skid can send you down a valley.

Slight OT: Do you need to change the engine oil in the Safari if you are going to drive in sub zero temperatures. Is there a special oil to put to prevent it from freezing overnight. I get this horrid vision of oil turning to ghee.
And what do you do if the diesel freezes in the tank overnight. Ive also heard that water condenses in the fuel tank and enters the fuel system. How does one go about solving all these issues.
Old 8th November 2008, 02:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Slight OT: Do you need to change the engine oil in the Safari if you are going to drive in sub zero temperatures.
Is there a special oil to put to prevent it from freezing overnight. I get this horrid vision of oil turning to ghee.
It depends upon the grade/rating(watever) of engine oil,the least used in Safari by TASS is 15w40 CH4 which will be fine till 10-15 deg,so no worries.
Though in very cold places,people use better than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
And what do you do if the diesel freezes in the tank overnight. Ive also heard that water condenses in the fuel tank and enters the fuel system. How does one go about solving all these issues.
In hill stations,they sell Diesel which is premixed with Anti freeze thing.You can do it on your own too if you feel.
And if there is any condensation in diesel tank,orange bulb will lit in safari's speedo and you might find the beast missing.
Then,clean the sedimenter and get rid of any water in it,worst you might get the Diesel Filter cleaned too.
Cleaning Sedimenter is a DIY,check your manual for that
Old 8th November 2008, 02:25   #55
Team-BHP Support

15W40 will do fine until -5 degrees. But at low temperatures, its always good to idle for 5 minutes before starting off.
As for anti freeze diesel, its not available mostly.
Infact its common to see trucks with fires lit under the fuel tanks.
Old 8th November 2008, 10:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Yes mostly it is not availalble, but on higher reaches it is and is called as the black diesel..

Quote:
15W40 will do fine until -5 degrees. But at low temperatures, its always good to idle for 5 minutes before starting off.
As for anti freeze diesel, its not available mostly.
Infact its common to see trucks with fires lit under the fuel tanks.
Old 1st December 2008, 06:48   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is Safari 4x4 option available in the LX version? The tata web-site only shows a price for the LX and EX version in 4x4. Has anyone tried to order a custom LX 4x4 version?

I prefer the LX version since I want to use my own choice of Wheels/Tires/ICE/Key less entry/DVD etc...
Old 1st December 2008, 08:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: If snow driving is considered offroading, that will push my offroading experience way beyond even Arka's.
Sharat, Arka is a newbie in offroad. He only knows how to build a jeep!

Quote:
Actually, this kind hair-splitting is part of moderators job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Offroading doesnt always mean using a 4x4 vehicle as i have seen people using 4x4 where vehicles could have easily done well with 2WD.
Driver's competence plays a major part in my perception of driving.
I agree with you 100%. There are terrains where the 4wd would have made the job easier but a good driver can do it with 2wd and his skill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Car was a Gypsy.
Sir, Gypsy is NOT a car

Quote:
Indica does not have a heater, and it was sub zero, yet my palms were sweaty due to fear
Sir, Indica DLX has a heater!

Its nice to see the 2 ton monster do the trail.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:40   #59
BHPian

Hi fellow automeniacs!

This is my first post on this forum as was just going thru all the Off-Roading threads before I thought I would post anything. Actually I am almost on the lines of Parm who want to build a CJ7 out of a 550.

Coming back to this thread, two years back almost the same time of the year, I took my Accent Viva CRDI (stock Bridgestones) to Rohtang. Though was not able to reach till the top, I took it till Gulaba. It was a great experience as almost all of whom I met on the way suggested against this. Even the 4x4 Gypsy wala's said dont go but all I wanted was to test the limits. The worst thing was the snow was almost 5 days old and had started to turn into Ice. At first, till it was a few inchs, I did not face any issues a svivel here and there and it was okay, but soon after Kothi, things became tough, it was almost easy on patchs with 6-7 inches of snow but where there was 1-2 inches, it was Ice already and became increasingly tought to keep it straight.

All on all, I was able to take this FWD till the GC allowed. The max was a patch where I faced the limit that was around 10 inches. This was where I thought should turn back as the bump in the middle would not have allowed enough traction.

What I learnt was, dont loose the momentum and you will go on.

Before that I had a similar experince in a 2WD Isuzu Diesel Gypsy which I was able to take till kothi as it had started to slip alot. We had to use jute sacks left over on the road side to park it and to turn it around.

Will post soon about my MM550 project!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 4x4 at Rohtang Pass/Manali-dsc00005.jpg  

Tata Safari 4x4 at Rohtang Pass/Manali-2.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2008, 14:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
I took my Accent Viva CRDI (stock Bridgestones) to Rohtang. ...

What I learnt was, dont loose the momentum and you will go on.

Before that I had a similar experince in a 2WD Isuzu Diesel Gypsy ..

Will post soon about my MM550 project!
Wow, Vinayrathore, we seem to have similar vehicles. Firstly Welcome to TBHp and enjoy your stay.

Please post more pictures of your rides!

Most Viewed