Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 10:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi
How do I get to attend the OTR on the 29th. Also please tell me Is the NIOC and Jeep Thrills one and the same thing? I am asking this as I have come across JeepThrills on Yahoo Groups but am not able to find NIOC. If they are different please send me the link for NIOC.
Harjeev the 29th OTR has been cancelled. There should be another one some time soon. Contact Sarvinder Singh on 9810153787 to join the NIOC group.
Old 29th November 2008, 22:22   #32
BHPian

Yup but this one was very fine sand, Your office hill looks like gravel. Moreover it was very steep, the picture just doesn't do justice to the hill. Check the other pic I am attaching which gives a better idea about the hill. I have marked the track I was attempting up in it. It was so steep and such loose sand that the only way to conquer it was to take a run up and go flat out on it. Once stuck the only way to move was downwards.

cheers
vishwas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Attachment 74229

Wow, the hill above is very similar to the hill in my office.
Attached Thumbnails
NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc01426.jpg  

Old 30th November 2008, 10:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Here you are: NorthernIndiaoffroadclub : Northern India Off Road Club
And NIOC is nothing but the North Indian chapter of jeepthrills.
-Best regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Harjeev the 29th OTR has been cancelled. There should be another one some time soon. Contact Sarvinder Singh on 9810153787 to join the NIOC group.

@Kandsia:Thanks for the link. I will join the join it and am looking forward for the next OTR
@GoSlow: Thanks for the phone no. I am going to jion the NIOC and before the next OTR contact Sarvinder
Old 30th November 2008, 10:30   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Yup but this one was very fine sand, Your office hill looks like gravel. Moreover it was very steep, the picture just doesn't do justice to the hill. Check the other pic I am attaching which gives a better idea about the hill. I have marked the track I was attempting up in it. It was so steep and such loose sand that the only way to conquer it was to take a run up and go flat out on it. Once stuck the only way to move was downwards.
Boss, what are you trying to prove? I only said it looks similar to the hill in my office backyard, by the way it is an excavation dump, not hard ground. Despite my limited experience, I know offroading tracks can't be compared over photographs or videos. Besides, photographs never do justice to offroading terrain, I've always said that in my offroading reports. It is futile to compare unless one person has seen both hills. it can also change by weather conditions. An hour of rain can turn this hill into slippery spongy surface, that is when GV tried to climb and failed.
Old 30th November 2008, 10:57   #35
BHPian

'Prove' Hmm.... Nothing was just trying to converse and compare your terrain to mine, but looks like I hit a wrong chord. I have provided you with different angle pics of that climb that explains the dramatism involved there better. You are most invited to post other pics of your office backyard - but just to discuss offroading - no intentions of downlooking anyone. But two thing I'll add here looking at your terrain pics that both the climbs are easily doable by a cj3b with right tires and the uphill I marked cannot be done by a GV, pajero, prada etc. One needed very high ground clearence and a certain disregard towards your vehicle to conquer it. One cannot afford that in an expesive vehicle like GV.

cheers
vishwas

Quote:
Boss, what are you trying to prove? I only said it looks similar to the hill in my office backyard, by the way it is an excavation dump, not hard ground. Despite my limited experience, I know offroading tracks can't be compared over photographs or videos. Besides, photographs never do justice to offroading terrain, I've always said that in my offroading reports. It is futile to compare unless one person has seen both hills. it can also change by weather conditions. An hour of rain can turn this hill into slippery spongy surface, that is when GV tried to climb and failed.
Old 30th November 2008, 16:35   #36
Team-BHP Support

Ok, fine. Yours is bigger than mine. No, I am not going to take more shots to make my point.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th November 2008 at 16:38.
Old 30th November 2008, 22:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Gotcha! Dude you are a very good 4x4 driver! Really admired your dad as well. what was that jeep he was driving in the mush pit? Looked like something he bought from a farmer! I was amazed at the stuff he did with that jeep man. He is also an excellent off-roader! cheers:
Thanx alot. i dont really consider myself very skilled yet but off roading is much easier with a DI motor under the hood.
my father was driving a standard mahindra marshall LWB with a factory fitted 4x4.
my jeep is actually a bit of a cross.its a mahindra classic short body shell and chassis but my motor and gearbox are straight out of the mahindra DI international tractor.
not something i suggest as this was a "jugadoo" job and they rarely work,but in this case the parts have mated like magic and i have never experienced any problems.also if you noticed the guy who was next to me in the marsh pit,he was also with his father, he is also an extremely good driver and the only reason i managed not to get stuck was due to his constant advice.its important to be a good driver and own a capable jeep,but the guy sitting next to you has to be skilled because half your concentration goes into remembering the which gear and what speed, so a good co-pilot and his orders make all the difference.
Old 30th November 2008, 23:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 74229

Wow, the hill above is very similar to the hill in my office.
hi samurai.that vehicle isnt actually a CJ340.
thats a salvaged ex-army jeep
a CJ stands for civilian jeep.that one is a MM550MJ(military jeep)
Old 1st December 2008, 07:24   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0333 View Post
hi samurai.that vehicle isnt actually a CJ340.
I never said the Jeep in the delhi pic was CJ340, that is the one in the thread I posted.
Old 5th December 2008, 20:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I never said the Jeep in the delhi pic was CJ340, that is the one in the thread I posted.
oops sorry bout that.i thought u were talking bout the one in th epic
Old 14th December 2008, 17:59   #41
BHPian

I drove the Legend !!

Just came back from an OTR organized by the NIOC !! Our ride for the day the MM Legend, thanks to the owner one of the founders of the NIOC, also the host for the evening !

First impressions "a pimped out MM550" last impressions an exteremely capable 4x4 which could be unstoppable with NDMS or MRF sandgrips !! This is my second OTR the first one being just an initiation. This one however was different!! How you may ask,...well when the driver was called for back up duty on a willys petrol driven by 2 extremely enthusiastic women jeepers on a particularly challenging trail with tight U turns down a quary, I was left with but ono option but to steer this behamoth down the delcine with one of the women on board !!! Oh boy was this machine a handful,....by no means a modern machine it takes some feel to get this jeep to turn where you want it to. However where is ultra torquy diesel excels is during controlled climbs and decents !! I am yet to see a machine which feels as indestructable as this one. The disc brakes on this one was for sure reassuring,...not that you use brakes a lot on OTRs anyway. The quary was dismissed without much fuss,.and the hill was conqured as well,...waiting for me at the crest was bacon, fried eggs and sausages on toast with some nice strong coffee thanks to Arjun (TLC) who is the most resourceful offroader I have known till date.we also had an oppotunity to drive a Raid de himalya spec. Gypsy with a KnN intake driven by vaibhav,..one of the smoothest offroaders I have driven with,...dispatching most courses with nary a fuss making it seem so boring,..that was till you tried the same course with the same composure which soon turned to panic each time! The dragons back and the lions back were what I expected in a fairytale till I saw what these jeepers do to mountains and seemingly unscalable cliffs....well this meaningless meandering from a novice could go on but I guess I must stop now!! I am sold on this community and way off life,and on the way back home in my City Samurai's signature made absolute sense
Old 15th December 2008, 12:50   #42
BHPian

14th Dec 08, NCR OTR Pics

This is following my on the site post last eveneing typed from my hand held. All images are courtsey Mr.Rohit Mendiratta a new NIOC member.
We had such a whale of a time. The images do not do justice.
Attached Thumbnails
NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09090.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09097.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09101.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09102.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09113.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09116.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09117.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09120.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09123.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09128.jpg  

Old 15th December 2008, 12:53   #43
BHPian

More pics

Some more pics from diverse terrains. Again images courtesy Mr.Rohit Mendiratta.
Attached Thumbnails
NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09129.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09131.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09135.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09141.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09143.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09148.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09150.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09154.jpg  

NCR OTR Report 22Nd Nov 2008-dsc09157.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 15th December 2008, 13:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I am sold on this community and way off life, and on the way back home in my City Samurai's signature made absolute sense ...
Welcome to the DirtyWorld, Torque-active..
It's heart warming to see new enthusiasts joining our ever expanding club.
And thanks to Arjun and you for the delicious bacon and sausages and of course the steaming cups of coffee...
Till we meet next, Cheers...
Old 15th December 2008, 13:56   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey folks, looks like you all had a blast. Cooking while doing off-road is just too good and that too at this time of the year. Winters should see lots of action in NCR on the OTR front.

The terrain also looks great -- with loose gravel, slopes, mud, slush, lake bed water etc.

Is this some new trail that you folks have gone to or is it part of the regular NCR trail?

And yes, always good to see the tribe of those interested in 4x4 increase.

@gotzuk: Is that red gypsy yours? have you again got it changed? now a half cabin :-)

PS: Good to see Rohit being part of OTR's there. He did join us for few OTR's here in Bangalore.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th December 2008 at 13:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks