Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 22:49   #46
BHPian

I can almost hear that LC saying "I wish I was not this fat..would have been better off leaner as my grand dad LC70"

For a BJ70 and the new fat LC200 see:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...wadis-uae.html

Last edited by -GT- : 17th December 2008 at 22:50.
Old 18th December 2008, 01:20   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
amazing pics absolutely loved the LC's pics the first one looks like the cars one side scraped the wall..
another very noobish question has any tried offroading with the scorpio 4x4 does any one actually have this car... can it handle such terrain as above and does it hav the Ground clearance...
i too am a keralite :P but live in bangalore too bad i dun hav an suv or else wud hav loved to take part even if i had 0 experience.
on this thread, but seems like you are planning to buy a 4x4 Scorp. My two bits on its capability, as I own one and can give you a fair idea of its offroad potential:

1. With the standard HT tyres that it comes with, the tyres are terrible offroad. With any AT tyre, the Scorp will do much better (I'm switching to Yokos soon).

2. In slush, the Scorp does pretty OK, as its weight helps find the odd stone below the slush. But the power-steering makes its handling a bit vague as you tend to over correct the steering while doing side to side turns to make the front wheels bite.

3. In sand - I managed to do some decent dune climbing two years ago in Jaisalmer. Hope to do it again soon. Just reduce tyre pressure to about 20psi, shift to 4-low, second gear and keep a heavy foot - the Scorp really does sail, but not as well as a lighter vehicle like the Gypsy or CJ would. If you stop in soft sand -- you've got plenty of shovelling to do! It sinks like the Titanic.

4. On rocks - no sweat, climbs with ease in 4-low. Good crawling ability.

5. Ground clearance - the rear differential is the lowest point at 180mm, rest of it is pretty much tucked in at an average of 220mm at various points.
However, the model I have has the front air-dam bumper and that is terrible offroad. In Jaisalmer, when getting down from a sand dune on to hard soil, it dug into the soil with a sickening crunch. This really reduces your approach angles.

6. Departure angle is not bad at the rear, but the plastic mudflaps do touch the odd rock. So if you do take a Scorp to Munnar, be prepared for the following damage - Ripped off front bumper air-dams, damage to plastic sump guard, damage to side footsteps and hub caps (if you have them).

The rest it will take in its stride on the Munnar terrain. Avoid deep fording as I suspect water can play havoc with the transfer case shifter solenoids since they are exposed (not tried more than 2ft of water yet). I plan to also try snow next month and will see how it fares.

Cheers,
Old 18th December 2008, 08:05   #48
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Somebody get some photos uploaded here ASAP.
photos will be uploaded shortly by today evening.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

excellent review roshun for wannabe scorpios like me,http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif
Old 18th December 2008, 14:38   #50
BHPian

Dear Roshun,

i do agree with your write up, but the final drive is with the person at the steering & how well he is guided through the terain,

& i really love the job of guiding the jeepers through the worst of the conditions,

I have seen that the safari pass through the worst, & i am sure this Scorpio will also pass through with any damages,

Till then best reagrds
Vinay thomas
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
on this thread, but seems like you are planning to buy a 4x4 Scorp. My two bits on its capability, as I own one and can give you a fair idea of its offroad potential:

----

The rest it will take in its stride on the Munnar terrain. Avoid deep fording as I suspect water can play havoc with the transfer case shifter solenoids since they are exposed (not tried more than 2ft of water yet). I plan to also try snow next month and will see how it fares.

Cheers,
Old 18th December 2008, 17:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

@roshun now i get the point that the scorpio is not meant for proper off roading its just a better than normal UV with maybe 4wd.. btw is the 4 v 4 variant for mhawk available?
actually not buying a car yet i was researching :P maybe will wait till june for the fortuner to come and then decide(actually dad will cos hez payin ) mostly my needs are for long drives from blore to kerala since kerala has horrible roads i was looking into the details ..
Old 19th December 2008, 14:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Does the TLC belong

Yes it was Sam's & kurians who did a test recce of the place in their LC.
I think I saw this LC in 2004 in Chennai, when I was on the lookout for one. I didn't pick it up as the dealer was asking too much (9L) and I was looking for a turbo. Glad to see it's used the way it is supposed to be. Way to go!

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 19th December 2008, 16:12   #53
NIP
Senior - BHPian

fantastic LC pictures !!! would love to read a first hand report on this
Old 19th December 2008, 16:50   #54
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3b View Post
Dear Jeepers,

we are sticking with plan of 23rd to 26th Jan, this date is fixed,

at present there are 15 jeeps confirmed below is the list of jeepers ready for the event,

1 Arkaprava Datta -MM540
2 Dr. Jones -CJ340
3 Giri Tirumale -Classic
4 H.B. Vivek -NA
5 Rajeev ranjan -Classic
6 Shahnawaz khan -Gypsy
7 Sharath Shetty -CJ340
8 Sibi Paul MM-540
9 Srinivas -Armada
10 Suresh Stephen -CJ340
11 Venkat -MM340
12 Vinay Verkey Thomas -CJ3B
13 Venky -CJ3B
14 Mukund -Gypsy
15 Andy Rao Pikup -Truck
16 Rishi - Safari

The current update from the kerala Jeepers is that the route is one of the most challenging trails,

The jeeps need to be top in condition, Please carry fuel / spare oil & spares for the trip,

i am making arrangement for the winches & hi lift jacks, for recovery.

on the stay, once i have the confirmed numbers i will have the kerala boys fix the place, what i understand the rates will be for rs1000 for the room.

till then take care,

best regards
Vinay Thomas
------------------------------------------------------------------
Vinay count me in also for Munnar OTR, Mine is Gypsy. its is the same terrain done on 13th dec.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:18   #55
BHPian

@sha, I was driving the hardtop 540.Hope you got me now?.
@ripper,TLC is not mine.We did the recce on TLC, and i was amazed at it's capabilities.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:23   #56
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
@sha, I was driving the hardtop 540.Hope you got me now?.
@ripper,TLC is not mine.We did the recce on TLC, and i was amazed at it's capabilities.
Got it mate. i am processing my RAW photos will post shortly.
Old 19th December 2008, 20:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Vinay count me in also for Munnar OTR, Mine is Gypsy. its is the same terrain done on 13th dec.
Hi, Vinay, count me in too. Its either the MM540 or a Gypsy King.

Cheers
Vikram
Old 19th December 2008, 21:08   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi, Vinay, count me in too. Its either the MM540 or a Gypsy King...
Great. . Vikram, bring the Gypsy man. You have enough time to prepare/service it -- if required

Folks, update the following google spreadsheet with your details. This is the master list. This will help the organizers in planning.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...wkvGGuQrYGU4IA

Cheers,
Old 19th December 2008, 21:21   #59
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Great. . Vikram, bring the Gypsy man. You have enough time to prepare/service it -- if required

Folks, update the following google spreadsheet with your details. This is the master list. This will help the organizers in planning.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...wkvGGuQrYGU4IA

Cheers,
I have updated the spreadsheet but i did not found save option button. if its not saved add my name khan into it.
Gypsy will cruise this trail without any problem.
Old 20th December 2008, 01:38   #60
Sha
BHPian

Munnar OTR Photos on 13th Dec 2008

Posting some starting photos of jeeps line up before entering the trail.

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr1.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr2.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr3.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr4.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr5.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr6.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr7.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr8.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr9.jpg

Jeep thrills - Munnar offroading-munnar_otr10.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com