Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 16:39   #256
Senior - BHPian

Guys 24hrs and no photos??
Old 14th December 2009, 16:57   #257
BHPian

Different Angle

Thanks Petrolhead for the report.

From my end let me cover what ever I can fill in. Courtesy of a fractured toe, I got the front pax seat on Arka's jeep. So it was a relatively comfortable ride for me .

We had a eventless drive until the OTR spot after meeting up opp Trident. Once we reached the OTR spot (4kms outside Wallajahbad), we all stopped for chai, waiting for Doc Jones and Lokesh to join us from Kancipuram. After Arka finished bargaining and getting a discount from the chaiwala, we all took of to the OTR entry spot.

Lock your hubs. Arka's briefing always impresses me. I'm sure i know how the newbie's will feel. It gives you the message "ok play time is over". But truth is its only starting.

I was riding shotgun with Arka. Petrolhead mentioned earlier that Arka assesed the climb and gave the go ahead before the first climb. Let me explain how this works for who have not come before. He takes the lead and any obstacle he tries it out and the others follow.

So coming back to the first climb, we were driving parallel to this hugh dune and then he turns towards it. I was thinking, ok he is going to stop next to it and check it out (we were 4 people in the jeep then with some tools as well). But before I could even realise the jeep takes the climb and when that happens unexpectedly it impresses you. I'm still a relative newbie and it takes sometime for you to get used the fact that the jeeps do more than you think they can do.

So everyone started trying out those climbs when the cj-500d's fan broke.
Vikram and I headed over where the Doc and Lokesh were and we spent time exploring the hole(?) where Lokesh's mm540 ended up in. Again only pics can tell that story.The recovery was excellent to watch. Both the doc's and Arjun's winches were used to pull it out.

Finally we all headed back and I got to drive Arka's jeep out from th OTR spot and it was exciting (especially because if I stall, we can't start it) .

Now photographers, please do justice to the day/
Old 14th December 2009, 17:20   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
OTR Report...
Thanks for the crisp report, petrol_head .

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
...The recovery team immediately left for Wallajabad town in Senthil's Gypsy to pick up an alternate fan for the stranded 500 D. ..
That was quite a mini-adventure in itself. Being sunday, not many shops were open, and we couldnt get a fan after scouting around at Walajahbad. We finally got a used fan at a workshop at Kancheepuram, and this was not an exact fit, then Mohammad Ali used some tools available at the workshop itself to work on it and make the holes aligned to the required PCD. Hats off to Ali (He had an accident on his bike in the early morning before joining for the OTR and had twisted his ankle and had some bruises on his hands and legs. He had taken some painkillers at Kancheepuram...He was doing all this work inspite of this injury..dont know if anyone noticed that he was limping a lot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Guys 24hrs and no photos??
It was a tiring day for most , I guess, and having to go to work on monday after such a wonderful OTR can be quite frustrating...so guess the pics/videos will take some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
...Courtesy of a fractured toe, ...
At the breakfast joint, there were some interesting discussions centered around this fractured toe !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
... I got to drive Arka's jeep out from th OTR spot and it was exciting (especially because if I stall, we can't start it) ...
I guess that was because propeller's 3B was running on the battery from Arka's 540 , right?
Old 14th December 2009, 19:41   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I guess that was because propeller's 3B was running on the battery from Arka's 540 , right?
Yes Senthil, Karthikeyan's battery was dry and dead which was replaced with the one on Arka's Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I humbly request Doc_Jones to pen his POV

Cheers
V
+1

Yes doc. Since most of us were not at the spot, we would really like to know about the recovery from such a difficult position.

Last edited by petrol_head : 14th December 2009 at 19:46.
Old 14th December 2009, 20:42   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

At the breakfast joint, there were some interesting discussions centered around this fractured toe !

I wonder what?

Yes It was running Propeller's Battery.
Old 15th December 2009, 00:52   #261
abs
BHPian

ABS's Pictures - Batch 1

Batch 1 pictures

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5624.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5625.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5626.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5627.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5628.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5629.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5630.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5631.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5634.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5635.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5636.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5637.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5638.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5640.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5645.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5651.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5650.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5661.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5662.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5663.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5632.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5633.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5659.jpg
Old 15th December 2009, 01:03   #262
BHPian

My first OTR

My first OTR
4.30 am : woke up and switched off the alarm which was set to go off at 5.00 am
4.35 am : a quick cleaning of my Jeep
5.00 am : woke up Ali and Ganesh
5.15 am : rechecked if they had got up
5.45 am : Ali starts from home
6.10 am : becoming impatient as Ali not yet reached – called Ali and found that he was semi conscious only and he had bad fall from his bike . He says he will reach in 20 min
6.19 am : receive call from Arjun – said I’m waiting and would reach soon
6.25 am : Ali reached and started from home
6.30 am : driving and dressing Ali wound while driving which was in my First aid kit and gave him some of my berak fast ( cake – fish curry and puri )
6.35 am : Meet Arjun and start driving
6.40 am : Fuel the vehicle and wait for the others to come
7.30 am : waited and GANESH JOINED in his 500
8.00 am : break fast
8.45 am : reach destination : ENTRY POINT start with tea
9.00 am : 2 more Jeeps join Dr Jones and 550 Jeep ( don’t know his name )
9.15 am : THIS IS WHEN I STOPPED LOOKING AT MY MOBILE AND WATCH

Vehicles enter and Arka says DO’s and DON’T’s to all of us

A quick photo session and ALI is switched from my vehicle to Arjun and Arjun friends ( Dr Dentist sorry buddy don’t remember your name ) joined me in my Jeep

Water crossing and I take off with my heart beating high – first time practically off the road and into water and slowly crossing it as said by Arka and wow I cross it 75% with Arka showing 2 and I brake – oops that was for me to change to 2nd gear. Get a cold stare and I cross on.

Next comes others and blue gypsy ( Angel ) crosses half way and gets struck . the vehicle is being examined by Arka and then gets back to shore .

Next comes Headers sir . water walk for the gypsy : zoooooom he crosses with his new silencer fitted above the body : Sir the sound is amazing

Now the blue gypsy crosses and wow its does it and claps from everyone and we hop on and move to next place .

We do a little covering of distance and arrives a sand dune and I see all vehicles climbing up . 500 did not make it top and 2nd time I got a cold stare from Arka for not braking well ahead

3 attempts and the fan and belt are gone so the vehicle is moved away and my chance . Praying to almighty I take off and wow there does it my CJ3 climbs it off in one go . proud owner ( Me ) park the vehicle in line and await other to do it.
Now the 3rd place – I’m climbing after 3 jeeps . my chance arrives and I become a little hopeful and I race with 2nd low and with tremendous noise I clear this one too . wow keeping my head up and I go for 2 nd time I get over it and 3 rd time also .

I say to my Jeep – I love you and a nice feel for JeeP.

Dr jones does a narrow track and 550 follows and 3 rd me again and with 2 low I start and I’m not able to make it and I hit something

2nd time I go for it and then I also I hit something , Arka asks me and I say I do know something is hitting below and vehicle does not move.

WOW water pipes and Arka immediately stops other jeeps from taking the track.

We receive a call that all shops are closed and they are making one fan for the 500 so we go to the next spot

4th place this is where it starts – once – nope 70 % coverage only – second time
85 % coverage – third time 3 low and I start with all speed and then drr dr drr dup the engine stops

Battery failure – wow the last thing I ever suspect – then quick search in Arka vehicle for 2 bags the blue bag and the canvas bag for wire and then finally none so run – run – change the battery and restart.

Then one last run up and he engine stops and we see Arjun vehicle is being repaired for steering so next is my Jeep turn so patiently wait .

Angel arrives – yes the blue gypsy with Ali and he found that battery replacing only will work so gives a direct connection and starts with Arka batter in and my Batter in Arkas Jeep

Meanwhile 550 gets sunk in water and a friend who had accompanied is working on it to recover . the 500 Ganesh vehicle also gets ready and everyone is roaring.

Had a quick Mcrennet cupcake and medhu vada with pomfret fish curry and some water and yest physically back into the vehicle .

Just went for small spin and found that Arka was extremely unhappy because they were towing out Arjun Jeep and everyone was standing around the towing rope . quickly ran out of there with the screw driver 24 number – ( thanks Arjun ) and increase the idling of the vehicle and then stood for group photograph and headed out of Palar with the following questions

Is my vehicle bad
Don’t I know to drive
Do I need to buy a new engine
Can I replace the alternator
Looks does not matter only mechanicals do
How much do I need to spend more
What will other think about me
Have I been a spoil sport

With a heavy heart I cross 10 kms and there goes the Angel ( blue Gypsy ) radiator . we get it ready and then 5 kms my vehicle diesel pump fails .

Felt like my first love separation – felt very painful and to add to it – cannot be driven and had to be towed – I was down – I never felt this bad about my vehicle and off all what answers will I give my home back there .

Just ensured none noticed me and started our tow journey – on and on and on for 30 kms .

We reached a nice place – a place for Jeepers but I was down – I see Vinod and Arjun already done with food and are heading back .

We rushed to the food counter and saw everyone with food and water ( sand piper )

A voice hey buddy don’t be so low – Yes Arka’s only we’ll get it ready . immediately check with Ali what had happened and wow I see 2 RINGS above Arkas head – he has diesel pump the accessory which is needed by my vehicle to be driven.

Jumped on the food and I saw Ali missing and saw my vehicle was started – wow the moment was like seeing your girlfriend after you had got permission from you home . so happy – came back and told everyone and sat and listened to all of them who were speaking . wow nice group is what that ran in my mind.

Now comes the 2 litre water bottles and 5 liter can . Direct water bottle to engine and guess what I’ve the privilege of 2 Seniors with me . Arka and Headers . thank you Headers sir for coming all the way in right hand side with your headlight on full beam . my vehicle did not chrge much so we had to have 2 vehicle parallel .

Thank you very much Headers – Vikram – I learnt patience and helping the co drives attitude from you sir.

Now me and Arka – unlike others a person who has got such a reliable vehicle sitting in my vehicle and holding the water bottles with diesel – “ Attitude to teach and ensure safety and down to earth “ that is what make a newbie like me respect you and listen to you . thank you sir . a whole 70 kms drive till tidel park and stopping in between to refill the water bottle and then smoking . 2 hrs we were at tidel but learnt a lot about Jeeps from the guru directly . thank you for the battery .

The gang of new OTR frinds – group from CTS – peter – petrol head – Vinod – blue thunder – senthil ( I’m bad with names buddies please forgive if I’ve missed out your names )

9.45 pm – SAW THE TIME AGAIN , I was home and quickly sent a reached home message to Arka as promised .

I was too tired yesterday to write but – the first experience was too good. It was like a crash course.

My take always

Never leave the group and go anywhere
Team sprit
Learn and master
Technically what had to be done to a Jeep to make it more reliable.

Now finally for the photograph . very little of them as I was driving and running up and down with battery and spanner and so on.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00233.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00235.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00237.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00238.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00239.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00240.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00241.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00242.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00243.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00245.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00244.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00250.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00255.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00258.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00259.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00260.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00261.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00262.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00264.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00268.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00272.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00276.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00277.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00278.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00285.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00289.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00292.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00293.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-dsc00287.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 15th December 2009, 01:27   #263
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up of an amazing trip , felt like I was one of you people.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th December 2009 at 07:30. Reason: Please refrain from quoting the entire post.
Old 15th December 2009, 01:41   #264
abs
BHPian

Fanta Break

Have a Fanta Break with the following pics of
Arjun's SPOA'd MM550 officially nicknamed as Fanta.

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5641.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5642.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5643.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5644.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5646.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5647.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5648.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5649.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5652.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5653.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5654.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5655.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5656.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5657.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5658.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5660.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5668.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5676.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5681.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5689.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5690.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5691.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5716.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5717.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5718.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5719.jpg
Old 15th December 2009, 10:45   #265
Senior - BHPian

Fanta stole the show!! I enjoyed every bit of its drive. Nice pics abs. Good narration and pics Propeller.

I kow we have loads of them, let them flow
Old 15th December 2009, 12:04   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Fanta stole the show!!
Did it?

Well, Fanta had decent power but the SPOA and the luxuries like PS, PW, ABS, EBD, TC etc, made it a poor performer, inspite of the tyres and superb revability of the engine and the torque available!!

It definitely can be used to pick "chicks"
Old 15th December 2009, 12:09   #267
Senior - BHPian

Fanta clause

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Did it?

Well, Fanta had decent power but the SPOA and the luxuries like PS, .... made it a poor performer,
Headers,
Iam sure you must be joking about fantas just about decent power, feeling insecure about your Gypsy's supremacy on sand?

Relax yaar...plonk in that swift DDIS engine and give it a tough fight
Old 15th December 2009, 14:34   #268
abs
BHPian

ABS's Batch 2 Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Headers,
Iam sure you must be joking about fantas just about decent power, feeling insecure about your Gypsy's supremacy on sand?

Relax yaar...plonk in that swift DDIS engine and give it a tough fight
Sabaash!! Sariyana Pootti

Batch 2 Photos below.

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5665.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5666.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5667.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5678.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5679.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5680.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5682.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5684.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5685.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5686.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5687.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5688.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5692.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5693.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5694.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5722.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5725.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5726.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5677.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5683.jpg
Old 15th December 2009, 15:47   #269
abs
BHPian

ABS's Pics - Batch 3

Lokesh Jeep's recovery pics.

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5695.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5696.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5697.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5698.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5699.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5700.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5701.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5702.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5703.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5704.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5705.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5707.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5708.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5709.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5710.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_5711.jpg
Old 15th December 2009, 16:11   #270
BHPian

ABS too good picture's . Thank you very much . I owe you a drive when my CJ3B is ready .

Propeller
Closed Thread

Most Viewed