Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 14:17   #166
Senior - BHPian

next off road

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
Hi Vinod

Please let me know if you have any plans this week end.

I would like to join and test my JEEP too.

I believe Arjun Jeep would also be in town . What do you say Arjun ?
Iam not sure this weekend propeller. May be the next weekend..may be, no word from other 4x4 guys yet. Dont worry we will do something atleast on ECR beach. lets see
Old 25th November 2009, 02:34   #167
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the delay in the pics/videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
...Itinerary. 15-11-09

1) Assembly Opposite IGNITE (on ECR) - 0630hrs and drive to the AdventureZone. ...
I was the first person at the rendezvous point, when I reached Ignite garage on the ECR at 06:25hrs.
It was drizzling lightly. On the way from home, I had stopped for a cup of tea at a road-side tea-stall at Palavakkam. For those who enjoy these things, having a cup of hot tea in the drizzling rain (standing by the road-side) can be a quite an experience in itself.

I was a bit apprehensive that the meet may not happen due to the continuing rain...but I was soon to be proved very wrong. As I was waiting at Ignite, I was joined by Devi Sriprasad on his immaculate MM550XDB, then Karthik on his Gypsy, followed by Vivek in his Gypsy and Vinod in his MM540, and of course, Sanjay David in his MM540.

Then we were pleasantly surprised to see the Nissan Patrol (4x4addict) arrive. The TLC(RedOne) had also joined us after some time.

All this time, it was continuing to rain lightly. At some point, the rain stopped, and the sun shone through for a while. But this was a temporary phenomenon like the temporary sunset in the Mahabharat ! The rains started once again, and were to continue throughout the remainder of the day , with some intermittent heavy showers as well.

Once Arka also joined us, it was decided to proceed to Mahabs for BFast. By now I was beginning to feel very hungry. I was the last to start out. On the way, i noticed a couple of MM540s had stopped near the veg. restaurant at Maayaajal. I gladly stopped and decided to have bfast right there. As we were hungrily having bfast, we were joined by Vikram, Mohammed Ali, petrol_head and HOTROD.
Once bfast was done, we all started off to the OTR spot.

The ride was going to be a long one. We had to cross Mahabs (45 kms from city), then travel a further 20 kms on the ECR before branching off to a side road, then travel another 20 odd kms before reaching near the AdventureZone. From here, all vehicles grouped together, the 2WDs were parked, and everyone got on to the 4x4s. The journey to the Palar river spot started. The whole ride was quite enjoyable, driving through the rain ...first on the super smooth ECR, then on the side road, then further onto very bad roads.

In my case, lack of the windshield wipers made the drive all the more interesting !!!

The road we were taking finally brought us parallel to the Palar. The first two entry points were not usable, since there was flowing water on the south banks. This was due to the heavy rains in the recent past
(for those who are not aware, the Palar runs dry most of the year...it is a subterranean system, with flowing water being seen only during the 2-3 months of the NE monsoon). When searching for another entry point, we had to cross a railway track. This was time for a photo shoot The below pics are taken at that spot :

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2182.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2183.jpg

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2184.jpg

The rest of the pics are below :
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2185.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2192.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2196.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2197.jpg  

Chennai OTR's- Thunder down under:-))-img_2198.jpg  

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th November 2009 at 02:44.
Old 25th November 2009, 02:45   #168
Senior - BHPian

Videos

The entry point that was finally chosen had a small steep slope. Sanjay David played the role of spotter for the 4x4s as they entered the Palar.

Sanjay David guides the TLC down the slope at the entry point to the Palar river

Sanjay David guides the Nissan Patrol down the slope at the entry point to the Palar river

Sanjay David guides the next jeep and then Vikram down the slope at the entry point to the Palar river

Sanjay David himself comes down the slope at the entry point to the Palar river

Sanjay David clears the first obstacle

Mohammad Ali driving the MM540 with accelerator cable in his hand. I was wondering why Ali had stopped the MM540 at the top of the slope...not typical of him, he should have normally cleard the hump and continued down the slope on the other side. When I went near, i understood the reason...the accelerator cable had cut, and he was using a make-shift one from some cloth that was in the jeep. And he had a tough time driving the jeep with the cloth accelerator "cable", which kept getting cut at the most inopportune moments.

Mohammad Ali clears the slush pit in the first obstacle

At this time, I had to leave since i had to be home for lunch. It was frustrating to leave now, since the OTR had just started but I did not have much choice.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th November 2009 at 02:59.
Old 25th November 2009, 02:48   #169
Senior - BHPian

NxN

We have all heard of 4x2 (2WD) and 4x4 (4WD) vehicles.
While waiting at the level-crossing for the train to pass, I had the opportunity to see a NxN (nWD) where n is a large number. The axle articulation was amazing. Please see video below for details :

DISCLAIMER : this video is not for the weak-hearted.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th November 2009 at 02:50.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:10   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
We have all heard of 4x2 (2WD) and 4x4 (4WD) vehicles.
While waiting at the level-crossing for the train to pass, I had the opportunity to see a NxN (nWD) where n is a large number. The axle articulation was amazing. Please see video below for details :

DISCLAIMER : this video is not for the weak-hearted.

YouTube - Scoop : MultiAxle AWD Offroader !!!
Blue Thunder, very nice video.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Any more action videos?

Guys, any videos of the rescue at the second obstacle (which I missed)? I hope there are other videos taken on that day...please do put them up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Blue Thunder, very nice video.
Thanks, dwaraka !
Old 28th November 2009, 13:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

OTR on 13th December 2009

Hi Guys,

The Chennai JEEPers are going for an OTR to Palar River bed near Wallahjahbad on 13-12-2009.

ONLY members with 4WDs are allowed. Those who do not have 4x4s please tie up with other members, as there is no place to park the cars, near the OTR spot.

Terrain - Sand/Slush and water crossing.

BlueThunder, 4x4addict, RedOne, look forward to seeing you again.

Itinerary

0630 - Meet up opposite OTA/Trident Hilton.

0830 - Wallahjahbad

0900 - OTR

1230 - Drive back to Chennai/Mahabs

1430 - Lunch.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Ram.West and Fiery Enzyme, it was wonderful to have your friends over, we look forward to meeting them again. Please confirm ASAP.
Old 29th November 2009, 00:26   #173
BHPian

hey arka,

Thanks a lot for the Invite . we are sure to join you guys this time also. But can you help us with hooking up with people coming for the OTR. As I don't have contact with any of them and as the meeting point is different and parking is an Issue. We'll come in bikes and join you guys probably at your homes, solves the parking issue .

Regards

Ramesh
Old 29th November 2009, 21:16   #174
Senior - BHPian

Iam looking forward for Arjun's SPOA'd MM550 among others. Would be great to have him. So buddy get used to your jeep for about 10 days from now on. Palar would be a great testing bed for your vehicle.
Old 30th November 2009, 01:52   #175
Senior - BHPian

hi Friends,
It seems you had some great time.I would like to join.But the intimation is not available in time.Me not a jeepian.but a Ritzian.
Thanks.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:34   #176
BANNED

I too would like to join but i dont have a 4x4 .can some one take me in their 4x4? i stay in thiruvanmyur
Old 30th November 2009, 16:07   #177
Senior - BHPian

Join me Joshguy, we will have plenty of 4x4's to keep hopping on and off:-)
Old 1st December 2009, 09:14   #178
BHPian

I would be present in front of Trident 6.30AM . Hope to meet you all. ( CJ3B 4*4 )
Old 1st December 2009, 09:43   #179
BHPian

This time I am also going to join . Hope some 4X4 person can accomodate me too.
Old 1st December 2009, 12:42   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
. Hope some 4X4 person can accomodate me too.
Jeeps are sold as 6 seater and last as off roader...you have sufficient place. Just join us
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks