Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 23:48   #76
BHPian

Pics are too good. Waiting for more pics and the log.
Old 14th December 2008, 23:52   #77
BANNED

Rudra Sir. Toooooo goooood.

K_S= at his best, would love to see his chopped gypsy soon.

Hrag= Putting the beast to its best duties.

If not for Santosh's CJ3B mini restoration, would have made it to my first OTR along with him. We rather spent some time getting it ready for the next OTR.

Will be there for the next OTR with $@~to$# and his CJ3B.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Rudra, you never cease to amaze. Do you? Amazing pics.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

rudra ji,

you are the god himself. That said, some pictures of jeeps splashing water seem to be a little dull, less saturated colors (like say, one would say that the sky's not blue enough - the colors are not that nice) - how come?
Old 15th December 2008, 07:03   #80
BANNED

Superb photographs, Rudra.

Thanks to all who came for yesterday's OTR. Yesterday's OTR was like a lesson in recovery techniques.
Old 15th December 2008, 07:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures, depicting action in slow motion! BTW, Hrishi, was was the lesson in recovery techniques?

Just curious!

And where is mjothi - Official reporter?
Old 15th December 2008, 07:32   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That said, some pictures of jeeps splashing water seem to be a little dull, less saturated colors (like say, one would say that the sky's not blue enough - the colors are not that nice) - how come?
phamilyman, this is surely not the thread for discussing those details. Sky was dull and you could see the sky in Safari and Gypsy splashing water shots. But the sky is blown out in MM550 XD shot. Why? Because shots were taken in AI SERVO and evaluative metering mode. More to know about this, PM is the right way to go.
Old 15th December 2008, 08:01   #83
Team-BHP Support

Who's going to bell the cat?

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-re1.jpg

Recovery inspection by the reporter.

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-re2.jpg

A bit of water play..

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-cr1.jpg
Old 15th December 2008, 08:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Ok, guys. The wait is over.

6:00am on Sunday I call up our Khan bhai and inform that I wanna Join in today's OTR since I dropped my plan of going to chennai. As usual our Khan says, yes join us in Total Mall, Sarjapur.

I get ready and call my cousin and inform. 6:45am I pick him from Marathahalli and start towards Total Mall. No traffic and I reach the spot just before 7am. Since Guys said I need to park the vehicle somewhere on the road, the first thing I do is find a "nice" spot to park my Aveo safely. Then SMS our guys that I reached.

It 7:05am, no one reached. Ok, never mind, Time for a hot chai. We have Chai and a KL Zen estilo passes and parks near our car. But I could not make out that this car was also our t-bhpians. And then Dwarak's Gypsy follows. Wave them and say hi.

Next, the safari with Hrag, Chandan & Rudra and followed by Khan's Gypsy, A palio UNO all in spot. While we were talking I could see some more luxurious SUVs lineing up there.

First comes the Nissan, then the Ford Endeavour followed by Scorpio 4x4. This OTR had almost all variants of 4x4 and was real treat to the OTR fans.[Later we found that this was a BIG treat to the localities too.]

Next came Siddus Gypsy followed by a Black Standard 2 door car. Wow, what a beauty. A well maintained car. Then Emanual(Gypsy) and Venky(Willis) also joins the crowd.

Ok, it time to leave. We start from there and head towards Sarjapur. On the way we fill both our stomach & our Loves stomach with food and head towards the Chudemahalli.

We reach the spot and all the vehicles take a right to get in to the lake. I think of parking the Aveo in the main road and I see the Palio getting in. And Hrag waving his hand informing that I could drive my car in there. I follow them and we find a good spot to Park our car.

Now instruction time. Dwarak starts the instruction with the info on the lake and what is the plan. Any doubts? Ha, there comes one. One fellow [Siddu?] raises hand and says he has only one doubt. When we all stare at him he raises the most difficult doubt.

"Dwarak, is your 4x4 working now!!!" A big laughing sound surronds the lake and we could not even hear what was the answer for this.

ok. First Dwarak takes his Gypsy and leads while all the other vehicle follows him. Myself, Khan and Siddu was waiting for Kittu since he called and said he will be joining us. Suddenly we see all the vehicle make a big U turn and coming back to us? What is happening? Then we came to know that there is no way to go on that direction. Great.

Everyone gathers back and some along with Dwarak start finding a trail. While it was on, our Mrs Khan, I think she was too much spoiled by Khan on OTRs, tries to take a slush portion. Thats it. The normal place that looked like some mud with water, began to be the worst spot to hold almost all the vehicle.

The place was saying "hahaha, guys, see not even one of you can do this!!!"

Mrs Khan tries back and forth with the Gupsy, then gives up. Then Khan takes position. Front, Back, and keep repeating it and making the slush more soft & soft. Ok, he also gives up and its towed back to place.

Seeing this, Siddu wanna try this and he gets in. He also tries same only to make it more worst. Tapan was so enthu to pull it but poor guy seem to have a highway shoes and it slipped him. He fell down in 2WD with one legs inside Gypsy. Then he got up with the help of his 4WD.

And finally when we all were seeing whats next he is going to do, He shouts out yelling. "Come on guys, pull me out!"

Ok, its pulled out and next its Jeeps turn. Please advise him to take it fast, momentum is needed etc etc and he takes. Oops, he got stuck too. This one was in a way that we cant pull it from behind. So, our Khan bhai find another trail to get on the other side and Pull him out.

By now we thought of asking the LHD Willys to try this and we see that the jeep was not there. Then we found it got stuck in the other side near the lake bed. So, time for resuce team to visit there. The Nissan & Safari moves on there to pull him out of the mess.

Kitta was in position to try this slush. We boost him saying none of the jeep/ Gypsy has made this, so you need to be very carful to make. The reply was very simple. Whatever it is, I just need some weight to make it. Ok, then we find the weight guys in there and load his jeep. He was about to try and thats when Venky comes and says "Wait, I will do it first before you screw the place".

Ok, now Venky tries. He gets in to the slush and thats it. Stuck. Now everyone giving instructions - left, take it back, right, move forward etc etc. And finally he gives up. Now, its Kittu's turn to pull him out of the mess.

Now, after all this, the slush was smiling at all of us saying "Not even one guy?" Probably it triggered our Khan's ego and he decided to take it again. So, he gets in will full speed only to get caught my the slush. He tried too much that a little more try would have yield water or even oil from the ground. Since it would be illegal to get oil fro ground on our own we gave it.

Then we tow it to Safari to pull out. But since the angle was little on the wrong side, the Gypys was trying to topple for every jerk or pull. So, we clear all other vehicle from there and made sure we pull in straight line. The Slush was too angry on Khan's gypsy and holding him royally with him.

While safari was trying to pull the Gypsy, it almost break apart the lower cover of the Safari [also one fog lamp I guess]. That is what I am inspecting here
Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-inspect.jpg

It took so much to convince him to let the Gypsy go. Atlast, it did let him go but dont want to leave him behind. It joined his front right wheel with full space. Afterall, its too difficult to apart the true lovers right?

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-gotmud.jpg

I then remember Khan's avatar. Ok, he was asking for it and he got plenty of it now. Lucky guy.

Oops, its too lengthy. Let me split the rest in next post. Time for a break!

Contd...

P.S. Sorry guys, I forgot to take my camera. Good that I did not. ELse, it would have looked like a "pichuva" in front of the "Aruva". Hope you got it!

Picture Courtesy - RudraSen.

Last edited by mjothi : 15th December 2008 at 08:35.
Old 15th December 2008, 08:46   #85
BHPian

You guys had a blast. Like Raghavendra mentioned, next OTR onwards we'll join you guys in my Cj3B.

Can we have more pics of that Willys MB or Ford GPW .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I then remember Khan's avatar. Ok, he was asking for it and he got plenty of it now. Lucky guy.
Good one Mahesh

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 15th December 2008 at 08:48.
Old 15th December 2008, 08:48   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, guys. The wait is over.
Thank god. Good that your started posting the report.

Quote:
.. Next came Siddus Gypsy followed by a Black Standard 2 door car. Wow, what a beauty. A well maintained car. ...
That standard herald was a beauty. Toooo good. On another day when we are not into 4x4's I would love to be on the passenger seat driving around Bangalore in it. (Hope siddu is listening :-))

Quote:
Mrs Khan tries back and forth with the Gupsy, then gives up. Then Khan takes position. Front, Back, and keep repeating it and making the slush more soft & soft. Ok, he also gives up and its towed back to place.
Hey man. In the first attempt when I took over from Farha, I was not able to make it through to the other end but for sure I remember successfully making a U-Turn in that slush and successfully being able to come out on my own. But yes at that point the muck/slush was still NOT as horrible that we all made in the end (to put it very mildly).

Quote:
.. I then remember Khan's avatar. Ok, he was asking for it and he got plenty of it now. Lucky guy.
Good one mjothi. I think it's time to change the avtar to 'Want Mud' now :-)

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th December 2008 at 08:58.
Old 15th December 2008, 09:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

Nice report mjothi,
Ans needless to say amazing pics Rudra Sir

Abhi
Old 15th December 2008, 10:16   #88
BHPian

Thank you "MJothi - the OTR" of OTR's for a good start; waiting for more.

Rudra: Your pics are too good. The Nissan Patrol looks all shiny and new, but all the more majectic!
Old 15th December 2008, 10:23   #89
BANNED

Quote:
A palio UNO...I see the Palio getting in

But since the angle was little on the wrong side, the Gypys was trying to topple for every jerk or pull.

While safari was trying to pull the Gypsy, it almost break apart the lower cover of the Safari [also one fog lamp I guess].
Palio UNO?? Typical reporter - that was a FIAT Uno 1.7D belonging to Chandan's friend.

The way the Gypsy almost toppled was scary.

Yes, due to some reason, the tow rope snagged under the engine guard cover and when I moved the Safari back with a jerk to pull Shahnawaz out, the rope pulled out the engine guard on one side and hit the lower bumper so hard that the LHS front fog lamp plastic housing cracked. My good friend Siddu managed to unscrew the housing and the fog lamp assembly itself was saved.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:36   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Gypys was trying to topple for every jerk or pull...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
..The way the Gypsy almost toppled was scary...
Really? I really did not realize this at any point in time, but if you both are pointing this out then it must have been the case.

I think what you are mentioning is that at first, the angle the safari was trying to pull the Gypsy out at 50-70 Deg angle :-) With the repositioning of the safari, the angle was correct -- inline.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks