Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 15:56   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
....Here is my total nonsensical part of the answer. In Sundays OTR:

... So the award for the best 4x4 goes to the 'Endevaour' for NOT getting pulled out anywhere ..
Quote:
Great then. We have a clear winner -- the FORD Endevaour

It did not venture out at most places. Was parked safely at the sides 98% of the time. But yes, if you see in the above 2-3 pictures, it did quite well -- although it had to do lots and lots of circus to get itself out of this place....
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
people how can u say the endeavour is the best when it cleared only one bit , which i think any 4 wheel drive which the gypsyies and the mahindra cleared it with soo much ease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's an offroading joke, Endy is considered one of the worst offroaders.
@Siddu, It was a joke man. Read my post again -- I said total nonsensical .
Old 16th December 2008, 16:00   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
By now we thought of asking the LHD Willys to try this and we see that the jeep was not there. Then we found it got stuck in the other side near the lake bed. So, time for resuce team to visit there. The Nissan & Safari moves on there to pull him out of the mess.

@mjothi: Nice write-up. One correction, though. There were two willys. The high bonnet RHD belonged to Venky, the low bonnet LHD is mine. I got horribly stuck too.. you can see the action pic in the following threads, when i decided to go for style rather than try any harder (Watch out for the black cowboy hat).

After this, my 4L lever slipped off the tooth. Despite repeated efforts (thanks to Nitin and Siddhartha), we could not fix this. This meant no more stunts for me. :(
Overall, though, a very satisfying outing. Thanks to everybody!

-Rohan
Old 16th December 2008, 16:09   #138
BANNED

Does anyone else think MudMover is missing some "nice pics"? From Pic.10, he jumped to Pic.20).

Edit: that was a typo from MudMover. Can some kind mod renumber the second set of pics and delete this post of mine?

Last edited by hrag : 16th December 2008 at 16:26.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:54   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
people how can u say the endeavour is the best when it cleared only one bit , which i think any 4 wheel drive which the gypsyies and the mahindra cleared it with soo much ease.
The easiest way to not get stuck is not to venture out at all, I guess. They only said the Endy didnt get stuck.
Old 16th December 2008, 18:25   #140
BHPian

well,
Rudra sir, the photos are beautiful. Organizers, the trip was excellent.

It was a great sunday daytrip. I got my old time buddy along and now he is addicted to the concept. Soon, i am expecting to hear from him asking me to find some jeep. Its bound to happen. All my friends who joined me on the previous OTR's have gone mad. Atleast thats what their spouses call me up and complain.
coming back to the trip, i have enjoyed the slush to the max. Knowing that my jeeps shoes are not apt for the terrain, and knowing that i would get stuck i decided to go for it. Get stuck, and get pulled. And with big daddy nissan around and big guys like Tapan on my side and Mjothi in the back, we tried all that we can. Got stuck and got pulled.

Quote:
@Kittu: How are the back seats holding up? Was the rest of the day spend on cleaning it?
Suresh, As usual, the muck started raining once iam on the highway. Later that evening when i took it to the service center to get it washed, i had all sorts of enquiries on how i got it so dirty.

I have a few snaps of the williys doing the vertical wall climb

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-photo0037-medium.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-photo0038-medium.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-photo0039-medium.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-photo0040-medium.jpg

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 16th December 2008, 19:18   #141
Senior - BHPian

The vertical [or so called vertical] climb looks apparently simple to clear. It would have been a challenge if the same had been taller by 3 to 4 times!
Old 16th December 2008, 19:30   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

You have got to be there before you say that. Pictures can be extremely misleading. 2 Gypsies and 1 jeep tried that part to no avail. Sure, someone might have cleared it, but I would put that to a combination of driver skills + HP + lady luck.
Old 16th December 2008, 20:45   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
guys can ya post more pics of the ford endeavour off roading. I'm suprised it did not get stuck in such terrain!!
Ram,

Ford Endeavour struggled lot before it got out. But, we must appreciate his willingness to jump in.

Dwarak
Old 16th December 2008, 20:55   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You have got to be there before you say that. Pictures can be extremely misleading. 2 Gypsies and 1 jeep tried that part to no avail. Sure, someone might have cleared it, but I would put that to a combination of driver skills + HP + lady luck.

Sorry Redliner, Since we have cleared such attempts in Chennai circle which is why I made that remark.

I'd sure love to be there and I do understand that pictures are misleading.

Cheers
Old 16th December 2008, 20:59   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The vertical [or so called vertical] climb looks apparently simple to clear. It would have been a challenge if the same had been taller by 3 to 4 times!
Headers,

Easy said than done. This verticle is not great, cut it is wall climbing. This spot is tried by many in previous OTR, only one succeeded - MM Classic of Utkarsh, because he had BF Goodrich AT/R and the power of Classic Engine.

Check this photo link of previous visit

Picasa Web Albums - Dwarakanath - choodemahalli...#

Dwarak
Old 16th December 2008, 21:29   #146
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
No issues Shakir. This is literally a city OTR so can be done any time. You enjoy the Munnar OTR and while you are there keep an eye for the exciting trails around there. We all would be going sometime next month there.

Cheers,
Munnar OTR was extreme off-roading, trails had slush,mountain climbing(Extreme Slope), rock climbing, stream crossing, loose soil track and night offroading also. will post photo later in Munnar OTR thread.
Old 17th December 2008, 07:51   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Headers,

Easy said than done. This verticle is not great, cut it is wall climbing. This spot is tried by many in previous OTR, only one succeeded - MM Classic of Utkarsh, because he had BF Goodrich AT/R and the power of Classic Engine.
Sir, Thanks for the information. But as i had said earlier, that climb is doable. If a classic can do it, so can the MM540 and Khans Gypsy!

CHeers
Old 17th December 2008, 09:33   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
... But as i had said earlier, that climb is doable. If a classic can do it, so can the MM540 and Khans Gypsy!...
You know what Vikram, not being able to go over that vertical wall is bugging me -- big time (and belive me, it is vertical. PURE vertical. The pics may not convey that but it is vertical).

I tried from 2-3 different angles and couple of times, but every time I was landing on my chassis with the front 2 wheels on ground up the wall and the rear 2 in the air. It was an issue of GC + WB -- pure and simple. Once you are on your chassis and the rear 2 are in the air -- then dead end.

See this pic below. I was literally at a very steep angle with all the front 2 wheels in the air -- big time. Just see my wife holding out hands in fear .
Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-image_310.jpg

It's one of those simple (yet stupid) parts of the terrain that look so inviting and doable but can fool you easily. This is where a fellow participant broke his rear leaf spring -- it just snapped.

The classic that Dwaraka is mentioning had 31" tyres. I am sure that with 31" tyres I will be able to do it in a jiffy. I am currently on 215 tyres so just that bit of less GC from tyres. Also, this is one place where the absence of the rear overhang came into the picture. good that I got the rear overhang done away with

But yes, I will for sure do it in my Gypsy once I get my new set of shoes for the Gypsy -- NO 2 ways about it.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th December 2008 at 09:39.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Khan, Thanks for the brilliant Post!

And I still believe it is Doable! Maybe I should join you guys the next OTR! The reason I cut my Gypsy is being questioned here! And you towing the same line and being unable to clear that is bugging me too!

The Gypsy has something which the classic does not and that is .............

I do agree that a good set of tyres is a must though!

Cheers

Hey no offense to any Bangalore Jeepers! Its all in the sport!

Last edited by headers : 17th December 2008 at 12:06.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:31   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Ofcourse its doable. Like I mentioned before its a combination of many factors (and ofcourse the technical factors which Khan's mentioned). In previous OTR's I have cleared obstacles and climbs much tougher than this with ease (been a part of every single OTR with Jeep Thrills the past 2 years). Its also a lot to do about what your vehicle's condition is on that particular day. Keeping your jeep in prime condition all the time is just impossible unless you really focus on it.

So yes, it can be conquered. Maybe another day - we'll be back. Will be great to have you around as well.

The Munnar OTR is peaking a lot of interest...guess we'll all move there. This almost feels like pub-hopping

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks