Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 11:18   #166
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Spitfire,

Is this a sarcastic comment?

Classic stock engine itself is sufficient power. Would it require more powerful engine? May be yes , Ashok Leyland Truck engine.

Dwarak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
What exactly does it mean? He said very clearly: because he had BF Goodrich AT/R and the power of Classic Engine.
WOW, i think i should change my handle. How about Swallowfire?

Dwarka sir, it was not meant to be sarcastic. Apologies if you did. But honestly, didnt mean it. And hope your sarcastic comment above is corrected.

Well i know Utkarsh and have seen his Classic, actually he used to stay very close to where i am put up in Bangalore.

What i meant was: has he changed his engine. From the original Classic one(2112 cc) to a well "Classic" one in the true meaning of that term.

When you say something like he had a superlative advantage over the others(only he managed to get over the wall) - and then you give the reasons for it - tyres for one were different(changed from original) and in the same line you said Classic engine - immediate question that comes to one's mind is has the engine being changed too?

Thats all the explaining i can do. I will from now on not reply to any of your posts, cant go on with this.

Rudra sir nice photography. Wish i was there. Some of those pics can be framed and put up in your living room.

Last edited by Spitfire : 18th December 2008 at 11:27.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:21   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
hey, dwaraka, thats an interesting option. Anybody here got an idea how to transplant a six cylinder ashok leyland diesel engine into a 540? Ofcourse, I want to retain the 4x4 and will make my own adaptor plate. Will the engine fit in the engine bay?

Advantages of the power versus the weight etc?
I have seen a tempo traveller engine transplanted onto a 540 in Ooty and that thing was just monstrous. 4x4 was retained.

And Dwarak, maybe Spitfire was not being sarcastic, it sounded just like a question Considering Spitfire has a Classic as well (do you?).
Old 18th December 2008, 12:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

ok guys. The thread was going in a diff direction, so let me pull it back. no no, I dont have a jeep or gypsy or "lux" suvs So, no fighting with me. hehehe

When we are done in the Chudamahalli lake, we started to head on to next OTR spot, since everyone was disappointed on this trail.

Then we started to move and thats when we found one small place with stagnation of water. So, Kittu went on that and then on the other side, it was all grass. So, he was spinning around to "clean" his shoes. Man, that was fun.

Then I guess Rudra was finding this spot to be good photo oppurtunity and requested some of the members to try those slush/water. Thats pics you saw from Rudra post with all water splashing.

Then we leave the spot, reach the next spot on the Varthur road just behind the Hanuman temple.

I park the car here and get in to Emanual's Gypsy. The most funniest thing happened here. Sorry, Emanual I know it will be diff time for you, but for us, it was fun!!!

This guy tries to take a steep slope to cross. Seeing the stepp i was mentioning him that it may get stuck in middle. But he wanted to try and tried. Thats it. All 4 wheels are up in air, with the car sitting directly on the chassis. now what?

I try to push it, but no use. How can I push this "MG513" [yes, no typo here. hehehe] with Emanual too sitting in. He comes out, and we push - no actually roll it down.

Then what we saw was really interesting. i see everyone so busy in their own way.

Khan, inspired by the Chandrayan mission, trying to position his Gypsy like a PSLV.

Kittu, as usual playing in the water bed with his MM.

Nissan, trying to taste the water in lake,

Ford, trying to cross the lake beds,

Venkys jeep roaming around in look of a place to get stuck,

and what not.

I was like a grand buffet. Eat as much as you want. Oops, get stuck as much as you can and wherever you can.

Finally Venky finds a very good spot to get stuck. He was right in middle of the slush that no one can even reach to get the tow rope to his vehicle. Finally he tried his max best to reach little further and we towed him with Safari.

While these going on, I see that there is huge crowd near the lake. We get there in saafari following the Gypsy and Venky's jeep. We see the Ford trying to cross that water source. Water level should be little less than knee level. but the challange is in the slippery slush in there.

Add to that, the ford did several tried back & forth and made it more & more slush. But it was really challanging for the ford. Everytime he came back, water entered into the SUV from the rear door. The level & incline was so high. Poor chap, I guess he would have had a carpet clean by now.

After several tries, its done.

Then Khan's Gypsy. 2 3 tries and he is on the other side.

Then comes our Safari. Hrishi enters in but not able to get out due to the huge slush. He tries back & forth and finally i think it was pulled.[???]

The site was so nice that I could not resist takinig pics. So, i pulled out my mobile and here you go.

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00219.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00220.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00221.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00222.jpg

Do you see our Fav Kittu's ride stuck behind Safari? yes, that was one place which Kittu made everybody to think, he is not going to be out from here.

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00223.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00224.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00225.jpg

Gypsy/Jeeps pulls. But it was not possible. We take the shovel and make sure the hindrance is less, but still no use. Then our Nissan patrol comes. This humble vehicle, came, pulled and went. We could only remember this quote after seeing this!

"vene vedi veci"

Yes, it did it in no time. it looked as if no effort too.

When Kittu was out from slush, we could hear some weird noise from the hood. We noticed that the fan was hitting the enclosure and it made a hole on it.

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00226.jpg

Do you notice the hole down there?

Then we noticed that it was due to the radiator which moved from the bush. Krishna places it back and shouts. We all got afraid that something bad happened. his finger got stuck in the weight of the radiator. but, luckily nothing happened.
Next comes the interesting climb everyone was discussing and the "Tale of Emanual and his Gypsy"

Contd...
Old 18th December 2008, 12:51   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And Dwarak, maybe Spitfire was not being sarcastic, it sounded just like a question Considering Spitfire has a Classic as well (do you?).
Ah solace, thanks dude. I do have a 99 model Classic.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:09   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
hey, dwaraka, thats an interesting option. Anybody here got an idea how to transplant a six cylinder ashok leyland diesel engine into a 540? Ofcourse, I want to retain the 4x4 and will make my own adaptor plate. Will the engine fit in the engine bay?

Advantages of the power versus the weight etc?

Headers,

I leave that technical discussion to Stalwarts like Arka, UBS and et al.

Dwarak
Old 18th December 2008, 13:29   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Then we started to move and thats when we found one small place with stagnation of water. So, Kittu went on that and then on the other side, it was all grass. So, he was spinning around to "clean" his shoes. Man, that was fun...
Hahahaa... good one. I would have loved to have seen this! Bad luck that none had a video shot of this. And few of us are very (very) familiar with the 'mud slinging' MM of Kittu!

Quote:
...This guy tries to take a steep slope to cross. Seeing the stepp i was mentioning him that it may get stuck in middle. But he wanted to try and tried. Thats it. All 4 wheels are up in air, with the car sitting directly on the chassis. now what?..
Ouch! Emanual, I hope this did not cause any major problem to your ride!

Quote:
...I try to push it, but no use...
Time to get those exercise boots on, Mjothi.

Quote:
...Then what we saw was really interesting. i see everyone so busy in their own way.

Khan, inspired by the Chandrayan mission, trying to position his Gypsy like a PSLV.

Kittu, as usual playing in the water bed with his MM.

Nissan, trying to taste the water in lake,

Ford, trying to cross the lake beds,

Venkys jeep roaming around in look of a place to get stuck,

and what not.

I was like a grand buffet. Eat as much as you want. Oops, get stuck as much as you can and wherever you can.
ROFL! That is a nice presentation of the scenario! Imagining it itself bring a good laugh! You guys are having serious fun!

Quote:
...Then comes our Safari. Hrishi enters in but not able to get out due to the huge slush. He tries back & forth and finally i think it was pulled.[???]...
@Hrishi, noticed that the silencer was submerged; did this not cause water to seep in?

Quote:
...Do you see our Fav Kittu's ride stuck behind Safari? yes, that was one place which Kittu made everybody to think, he is not going to be out from here.
Gypsy/Jeeps pulls. But it was not possible. We take the shovel and make sure the hindrance is less, but still no use. ...
Kittu has this special ability to make people bow all around him and dig dirt! I am sure this will not the be last time (unless he gets rid of those sand tyres). But hey Kittu, we (rather I) enjoyed when I had to do it.

Quote:
...Then our Nissan patrol comes. This humble vehicle, came, pulled and went. We could only remember this quote after seeing this!

"vene vedi veci"

Yes, it did it in no time. it looked as if no effort too...
The true performer!
Old 18th December 2008, 13:34   #172
BHPian

Quote:
ok guys. The thread was going in a diff direction, so let me pull it back. no no, I dont have a jeep or gypsy or "lux" suvs So, no fighting with me. hehehe

]
emmanuel was just being over enthusiastic with his gypsy

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th December 2008 at 14:14. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire long post especially when its on same page.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:34   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Dwarka sir, it was not meant to be sarcastic. Apologies if you did. But honestly, didnt mean it. And hope your sarcastic comment above is corrected.

Spitfire, apologies accepted my dear friend. Utkarsh's classic has not undergone any changes excepting tyres. AT/R - Yokohoma Geolander. Classic as it is is short and good GC. Added to it tyre played major advantange. Hence, he did not get struck. You would have observed Yellow Jeep trying the same incline. He could not do it because of longer chassis , tyres and GC. Not the power of the offroader.

One should appreciate that the spot actual was a trench. Coming out of trench is tricker, when combined with verticle climb and clearing the tip. You will sit on the chassis or, differential or gearbox itself.

I hope you are clarified.

Mind you , you are adding good spice for discussions else it becomes boring. Keep the tempo on.

Dwarak
Old 18th December 2008, 13:42   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Then comes our Safari. Hrishi enters in but not able to get out due to the huge slush. He tries back & forth and finally i think it was pulled.[???]
Yes, I was towed out by Rehan in the Scorpio 4x4.

Quote:
@Hrishi, noticed that the silencer was submerged; did this not cause water to seep in?
No, luckily.

Quote:
Add to that, the ford did several tried back & forth and made it more & more slush.
My first question to Rehan after getting out was: Did you go in before the Endy? He said yes. That explained a lot of things to me.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:45   #175
Senior - BHPian

In the scenarios Hrishi's safari is in the water would anyways not enter as the vehicle is on an incline. It would have entered a little bit in the silencer but would not have gone till the engine.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:50   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
In the scenarios Hrishi's safari is in the water would anyways not enter as the vehicle is on an incline. It would have entered a little bit in the silencer but would not have gone till the engine.

As long as engine is on no worry even if exhause is inside water. Water can enter only when the level is engine level. flooded engines are cause of water getting through Air intake. That is why you have snorkel.

dwarak
Old 18th December 2008, 14:17   #177
Senior - BHPian

So, While this was going on, I see Dwarak going to a spot and looking for some trails. Then he comes back and challenges everyone. saying this
"There is a nearly 90 deg steep climb. No one has done so far except for one jeep. Anyone for a try."

Now, theres no need for anyone to guess who was there first. Yes, Khan with his Gypsy tries it. Several tries and that includes one which his Wife wanted to hold the flying gypsy from flying further. lol.

Then he is back. Next the Venky's jeep. He did tried, but could not reach the top.

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00227.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00228.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00229.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00230.jpg

Look@ his jeep. He was almost done but unfortunately, his rear wheel could not touch the ground to push it further.

So, he backs and comes through the same trail as Khan's Gypsy.

Name:  IMG00232.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  57.8 KB

Next comes our hero, Emanuel. He tries to take it at little more momentum and finds himself got stuck with the chassis sitting on the ground.

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00233.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00234.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00235.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00236.jpg

Then he again tries, but this time with little more speed and he takes off he ground, and lands on his rear right wheel. This is what happened and he broke his leaves spring.

Watch out the wheels all spinning happily like a merry go around on air.

Then all disperse from that spot and start to head towards a Dhaba. When we came to main road, we could see all the vehicles stopped in a big line. And people inspecting Emanuel's gypsy. Seems it cannot be run further without damage.

First, people suggest to remove the rear transmission and put it in 4WD, so the front can pull the vehicle to his place. So, Mukund settles himself below the Gyspy and trying to remove it. But then he gets a call on mobile and he talks to him and decides that it cannot be done like this.

So again decided to remove the rear wheel and hammer the chassis which is hitting the wheel.

operation leaf spring

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00238.jpg

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00239.jpg

Then we went to the Dhaba, had good food. Btw, I should mention about the money collector here. Mukund was standinig near the exit gate and collecting money. Thinking that this way we can collect from everyone. But I think still we missed someone right? or it was effect of Mallaya? [No, i did not take]

When we left I see that many people pointing my car and laughing. i was thinking that they are just being happy there and waving me a good bye. Later i came to know that it was different

While I was following Emanuel's gypsy, i could see that his Gypsy was going like a town bus in remote village. The vehicle was moving front in a different angle. We try to shoot it, but could manage only this. Look at Tapan, waving his hand happily because no one made to his hotel for the breakfast.

Bangalore OTR: Off Sarjapur Raod: 14th Dec 2008. Wana Join?-img00240.jpg

Ok Guys, meet you again in same forum, same section. until then its good bye from MJ...

Last edited by mjothi : 18th December 2008 at 14:18.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:23   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Kittu has this special ability to make people bow all around him and dig dirt! I am sure this will not the be last time (unless he gets rid of those sand tyres). But hey Kittu, we (rather I) enjoyed when I had to do it.
haha, Losing of one chappal has made a lot of influence in you. Right
Btw, I don't think even a better tyre would have done it. Anyway, seniors would throw some lights on this.

kittu, its not far from here, so you can immd go and try once you change your tyre.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:36   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
As long as engine is on no worry even if exhause is inside water. Water can enter only when the level is engine level. flooded engines are cause of water getting through Air intake. That is why you have snorkel.

dwarak
but the black mahindra, kittu's jeep was misfiring, and it was thowing out the water it had sucked in from exhaust , it took abt 5 minutes for the water to get out after he went thru the slush.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:09   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
but the black mahindra, kittu's jeep was misfiring, and it was thowing out the water it had sucked in from exhaust , it took abt 5 minutes for the water to get out after he went thru the slush.
Engine just being on will not help when the exhaust pipe is below water.

If the pressure exerted by the water is more then the pressure of the exhaust gases coming out the vehicle, it will stutter or misfire as you call it. Same happens if you close the exhaust with your foot or a flat object, the engine will eventually die out/turn off.

Trick is to keep the revs sufficiently high so that the pressure of the exhaust gases keeps the water from getting inside the exhaust pipe.

Snorkel is used for the exhaust too for the above reason, not only for intake. Its called the exhaust snorkel.

What happened above is when the pipe was below the water, the revs decreased, water entered inside and tried blocking the exhaust - misfire. But I am thinking the accelerator was then pumped to pull the Jeep out. The higher revs cleared the water from the exhaust and the Jeep managed to get out. Once out the water that might have got in(not in the engine, its curtains then) was being blowed out.

Last edited by Spitfire : 18th December 2008 at 15:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks