Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 15:22   #181
BHPian

i get u , but it wasnt a stutter , it was a misfire , the water wasnt even knee deep ,i think when he splashed the water , some water must have got in form the air intake , ( not got sucked in from the exhaust as i initially thought)
Old 18th December 2008, 15:28   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Engine just being on will not help when the exhaust pipe is below water.

If the pressure exerted by the water is more then the pressure of the exhaust gases coming out the vehicle, it will stutter or misfire as you call it. Same happens if you close the exhaust with your foot or a flat object, the engine will eventually die out/turn off.

Trick is to keep the revs sufficiently high so that the pressure of the exhaust gases keeps the water from getting inside the exhaust pipe.

Snorkel is used for the exhaust too for the above reason, not only for intake. Its called the exhaust snorkel.

What happened above is when the pipe was below the water, the revs decreased, water entered inside and tried blocking the exhaust - misfire. But I am thinking the accelerator was then pumped to pull the Jeep out. The higher revs cleared the water from the exhaust and the Jeep managed to get out. Once out the water that might have got in(not in the engine, its curtains then) was being blowed out.

I vouch the views of Spitfire.

Dwarak
Old 18th December 2008, 15:40   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i get u , but it wasnt a stutter , it was a misfire , the water wasnt even knee deep ,i think when he splashed the water , some water must have got in form the air intake , ( not got sucked in from the exhaust as i initially thought)
Possible, water inside the engine is a problem. Splashing or using too much momentum while entering into a water body while offroading might look spectacular but is a very wrong approach. Two things happen:

1. Your momentum or speed is lost abruptly and the engine and suspension gets stressed. It is like hitting a sudden speed breaker.

2. Water can get into the electricals and you will get stranded inside the water.

Your possibility regarding water entering the engine from the air intake needs to be looked up. An ideal engine should be airtight, and there are only 2 ways air or water can get in or out. The intake and the exhaust. Any other opening is deangerous for the engine.

Someone asked me what about the dipstick hole, cant water get in from there? I will leave it you to figure that out.

Water should not get into the engine. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post

Dwarak
I am humbled.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:49   #184
BHPian

Quote:

Dwarak
dwarak sir , i am not contesting anyone's views , i am just trying to say what really happened there

Quote:
Possible, water inside the engine is a problem. Splashing or using too much momentum while entering into a water body while offroading might look spectacular but is a very wrong approach. Two things happen:

1. Your momentum or speed is lost abruptly and the engine and suspension gets stressed. It is like hitting a sudden speed breaker.

2. Water can get into the electricals and you will get stranded inside the water.

Your possibility regarding water entering the engine from the air intake needs to be looked up. An ideal engine should be airtight, and there are only 2 ways air or water can get in or out. The intake and the exhaust. Any other opening is deangerous for the engine.

Someone asked me what about the dipstick hole, cant water get in from there? I will leave it you to figure that out.

Water should not get into the engine. Period.

I am humbled.
i am sure the water can get thru the dip stick if the dip stick is loose or if it is fallen off , but even if it enters thru the dip stick it wont enter the combustion chamber so we will never know ,

in the case,(kittu's jeep) , the water might have gotten into the air intake through the other pipe which sucks in warm air into the air filter.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2008 at 17:33. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:12   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
haha, Losing of one chappal has made a lot of influence in you. Right ...
That is not one chappal, but a pair! What will I do with just one! I still remember the look on the face of my wife when I walked in with no footwear and the dirt on the trousers I had worn!

Quote:
...If the pressure exerted by the water is more then the pressure of the exhaust gases coming out the vehicle, it will stutter or misfire as you call it. Same happens if you close the exhaust with your foot or a flat object, the engine will eventually die out/turn off...
The reason why we all do and advice everyone to keep the rev high when passing thru a deep patch of water.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:22   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
That is not one chappal, but a pair! What will I do with just one! I still remember the look on the face of my wife when I walked in with no footwear and the dirt on the trousers I had worn!

The reason why we all do and advice everyone to keep the rev high when passing thru a deep patch of water.
losing a chappal is nothing , in the last otr ,a friend of mine who accompanied me lost a whole toe nail (left foot big toe nail),lol, anybody remember this?
Old 18th December 2008, 16:27   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
losing a chappal is nothing , in the last otr ,a friend of mine who accompanied me lost a whole toe nail (left foot big toe nail),lol, anybody remember this?
I guess in pearl valley otr right? yes. I remember. That too inspite of wearing a shoe.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:32   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Siddharth,

If not anybody here, at least I do remember. Because, it was me who caused it. I do appologise for that.

Dwarak
Old 18th December 2008, 16:34   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Siddharth,

If not anybody here, at least I do remember. Because, it was me who caused it. I do appologise for that.

Dwarak
u made up for that by givin him the beers, of which i drank half , but really are u the only one carrying any kind of first aid kit on the otrs , we should all carry one!
Old 18th December 2008, 16:38   #190
BANNED

Ahem...the gentleman in the tuxedo & Gucci shoes had both on Sunday - first aid kit & beers
Old 18th December 2008, 16:46   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Ahem...the gentleman in the tuxedo & Gucci shoes had both on Sunday - first aid kit & beers
u are the silent killer hrishi! atleast the beers were fresh , dont know if the items in the first aid kit such as antiseptic cream etc were past their expiry dates!
Old 18th December 2008, 17:01   #192
BANNED

Quote:
a friend of mine who accompanied me lost a whole toe nail (left foot big toe nail)
Ouch thats painful.

While offroading alone i used to get injured quite a bit. This is what i used to wear, no one told me about whats required. Picked them everytime i thought i need it or something was not useful as protection.

Shoes: Dont wear sneakers or sports shoes. They are of no use once they get dirty and dirt gets stuck on them and you loose all grip on them. Grip is very essential while going into the outdoors.

Get the miltary shoes, they were available for 250 a pair, now available for 400 i guess. I am using the same pair for the last 8 years. They have a hard rugged sole, can be cleaned easily, have a metal strip to protect your toes and can even withstand the wheel going over it.

Gloves: Get good leather ones, picked them up after we got a winch installed on the jeep to handle the cables. Any light ones will do. Avoid the ones used by bikers they are horrible. Get an inner.

Cap: Like the one's used by cricketers, may look out of place but the best to keep the sun away. But then its a personal choice.

Pants: Dont wear Jeans(quite the contrary i know) but the issue is if they get wet. They take forever to dry and cleaning the dirt off is a problem. Also once wet they get heavy and restrict movement. Instead wear 3/4ths (i dont know what they are called otherwise) of the material used for camouflage clothing by the army. Is very durable and light. See that it has atleatst 4 pockets with zips, handy when you have to try and fix something that has broken while offroading. You can keep all the screws and bolts in them.

Shirt: A good shirt, tshirt should complete the rest. Dont wear dark colours as it gets pretty warm. But can change as per the climes. Dont wear long sleeves gets caught it shrubs and branches easily.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:26   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Engine just being on will not help when the exhaust pipe is below water.

If the pressure exerted by the water is more then the pressure of the exhaust gases coming out the vehicle, it will stutter or misfire as you call it. Same happens if you close the exhaust with your foot or a flat object, the engine will eventually die out/turn off.

Trick is to keep the revs sufficiently high so that the pressure of the exhaust gases keeps the water from getting inside the exhaust pipe.

Snorkel is used for the exhaust too for the above reason, not only for intake. Its called the exhaust snorkel.

What happened above is when the pipe was below the water, the revs decreased, water entered inside and tried blocking the exhaust - misfire. But I am thinking the accelerator was then pumped to pull the Jeep out. The higher revs cleared the water from the exhaust and the Jeep managed to get out. Once out the water that might have got in(not in the engine, its curtains then) was being blowed out.

1. You keep the revs high
2. Radiator Fan runs faster
3. Water hits radiator fan
4. Gets splashed all over
5. Hits Alternator/starter motor
6. Thats in case the water has not yet reached that section yet on its own

The best thing to do in these circumstances is to plan well ahead and then wade in. First off, remove the fan belt so the fan does not run. You do not need cooling when crossing a river. Secondly get a wading plug onto your differential just before you start. Take the plug off after you cross. Yes, water twill go in, but much much less if the plug is on. Thirdly, no matter what and how much you cover the alternator and starter motor, water will still run in. I read that someone on jeep thrills had managed to suitably protect their electrical components from water, will try to dig that up. ofcourse having a good high air intake and exhaust snorkel is a given.

Start swimming!

Quote:
Ouch thats painful.

While offroading alone i used to get injured quite a bit. This is what i used to wear, no one told me about whats required. Picked them everytime i thought i need it or something was not useful as protection.

Shoes: Dont wear sneakers or sports shoes. They are of no use once they get dirty and dirt gets stuck on them and you loose all grip on them. Grip is very essential while going into the outdoors.
Nice, I wont follow 99% of it However, the shoes you mentioned are steel toe shoes. I have been looking for them in Bangalore (they are very useful on a bike). Can you guide me on where I can get it. Please do PM me.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2008 at 17:34. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:42   #194
BHPian

whats a wading plug?
steel toes are available by caterpillar in a lot of stores
Old 18th December 2008, 18:04   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
whats a wading plug?
steel toes are available by caterpillar in a lot of stores
You use wading plugs to plug in all holes through which water can either enter the gearbox or the clutch housing. Water entering the differential is "okay" as long as its clean flowing water. God help you if you get stuck in muddy water. All that mud will collect at the bottom of the housing and fill up. Drain the oil immediatlely and fill in fresh oil.

Secondly, if water enters the gearbox its still okay. Its okay as long as you move into the stream in the gear that you think will help you clear the entire stream. If you engage the clutch and change gears midway, water will get in and flood the clutch. Thereafter the clutch will not have enough friction to engage with your engine flywheel and drive you out of the water. Yeah, learnt it the hard way. Guess everybody does.

Army steel toe shoes for 400 bucks. Not caterpillars for 4000 bucks Buying a jeep and getting head on into this hobby does not give you much leeway to spend on much else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks