Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 19:14   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
With a jeep you develop a relationship by investing time & effort & pain & sweat & agony & ecstasy & joy etc..
That can't be had from a showroom car -- however expensive it may be :-)
But I go through all those emotions on every OTR

Waiting for the nice pics.

Seriously, I bow to all those who buy a used vehicle and spend time restoring / rebuilding it. I would like to do it some day but right now, I'm honestly afraid to get into that world.

Last edited by hrag : 21st December 2008 at 19:16.
Old 21st December 2008, 21:11   #32
BHPian

@GoSlow, Harjeev
Good to meet you.. hope to see you again next time around.

@vinayrathore,
Get that jeep before it's too late. These are are getting rarer by the day.

@khan_sultan,
The first timers usually baulk when shown tricky incline/declines for
the first time (I did too!!). But i guess that is what gets you hooked. Going through
terrain that your mind is conditioned to say NO to and discovering that
it is indeed possible.

Cheers

P.S. Harjeev & Vinay: Where are the pics??
Old 21st December 2008, 23:02   #33
fk7
BHPian

come on guys, I know i missed the OTR as I had to fly, but remove the suspense by showing some pictures.

looks like you guys had a lot of fun

FK
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

My net connection got revived just now. So here is the story from my side along with some poor quality pics (no processing and no advanced settings!).
I was itching to have a feel of an OTR for a long time, until it got realized this time. Confirmed with two fellow jeepers from NIOC on friday and reache early morning at their place at Hauz Khas around 7.15 with my wifey who was also equally enthusiastic. Hopped into a stock CJ3b to reach the meeting point at Gurgaon along with a blue modified CJ7. It was my 1st considerable journey in a jeep in a highway and the hurricane empowered machine with 3 speed gearbox, cruised smoothly upto 100 kms/hr with a characteristic sound. An open top jeep cruising like this in a chilly winter morning alongside the hatches, sedans and SUV’s…the feeling just can't be described in words! Reached the meeting point where other jeepers had already arrived. The trail was a further 15-20 kms and after around half an hour, total seven jeeps reached the spot: two Ford GPW’s, two 550s, one CJ3b, one gypsy, one CJ7. NIOC mod Sarvinder bhaji was the 1st to hit the trail and quite comfortably managed it. I was really in a mode of shock to see the trail through the jeeps were preparing to pass. Though I have seen loads of OTR pictures, never realized that the actual terrain looks so different in reality. Though the jeeps and the jeepers were all up in excitements, they created some trouble and inconvenience for few villagers around, who were peacefully performing their morning toilet rituals! One jeeper quipped “we are disturbing the wild lives…!!”
I was sitting in the back of the 3b and it was having a repeated scary attempts moving back and forth with a deep sections all around and an incline in the front. Being a newcomer, it literally scared the hell out of me and after the fourth attempt; I jumped out of the jeep and went on foot to the top to snap some pics and to get settled. I swear it literally needs quite some time to get the nerve adjusted for a beginner. I was wondering if this is happening to me as a passenger, what could be the situation when I will drive for the 1st time in this sort of terrain! Anyways finally the 3b made it and others followed one by one.
Start of the trail:
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-1.jpg
Approach to the 1st point
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-2.jpg
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-3.jpg
The 3b finally made it
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02562.jpg
The trail as looked from the top
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02573.jpg
Breakfast was announced after all the jeeps reached the 1st spot and soon sandwiches, boiled eggs, fruit juice, coffee were circulated. Thanks to Arjun and his amazing Pandora’s box, loaded with foodstuffs, it was really enjoyable.
The 'box':
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02578.jpg
Fooding is on:
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02579.jpg
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02584.jpg
Another look at the trail
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02597.jpg
Meanwhile one 550 had to be jumpstarted and the all headed for the next section. This was a deep decline (again was scary enough for me), the blue CJ passed quite smoothly and others followed.
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02606.jpg
Look at the little girl in the front, no fear, because of being a regular visitor the OTR
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02610.jpg
The decline
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02611.jpg
Thereafter we reached a flat land surrounded by inclines all around, some of loose soil, some of rock. People started attempting the side which they prefer, some made it, some not.
A rocky part invites the blue monster, it goes upto a point, beyond which there is only sharp and uneven rock
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02623.jpg
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02624.jpg
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02625.jpg
Another part, the blue one didn't take the chance to go up this because of bad tyres
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02629.jpg
Meanwhile the 3b took a different route and it was reaching this part from a different direction. It had a problem of moving towards the right side with braking, and had a couple of hitches before landing safely.
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02630.jpg
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02631.jpg
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02632.jpg
Up next was another section a bit away.The 3b en-route
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-dsc02634.jpg
To be continued...
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
...I was itching to have a feel of an OTR for a long time, until it got realized this time. ..
Great man. The first OTR experience is something that one never forgets. Welcome to the off-roading world my friend.

Quote:
.. Though I have seen loads of OTR pictures, never realized that the actual terrain looks so different in reality.
True. Pictures don't convey even 10% of the terrain what it looks in reality.

Quote:
...Another part, the blue one didn't take the chance to go up this because of bad tyres
So, now you realize the importance of good 'OTR' tyres .

PS: So when are you going to start your hunt for a jeep/4x4. Don't tell me that you went to an OTR and are not secretly thinking of which jeep to buy, how to buy etc etc..
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:11   #36
BHPian

Hi Kandisa,

Nice pics man, really wish I could have joined but as they there will be other days if not this.
Perfect foggy day for an OTR, though it seemed more like shikaar pictures.

Next time will surely join in.

Cheers !!!!!!
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Great man. The first OTR experience is something that one never forgets. Welcome to the off-roading world my friend......True. Pictures don't convey even 10% of the terrain what it looks in reality.
Well Khan, each successive phase of the OTR reminded me of statements regarding the trails, the experience in reality etc as posted by you in some other OTR report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan
PS: So when are you going to start your hunt for a jeep/4x4. Don't tell me that you went to an OTR and are not secretly thinking of which jeep to buy, how to buy etc etc..
Ahem,hmm,okk I mean, I am already in the scene even before going to the OTR Very soon you will see a new thread from my side.
Randeep, yeah the day was really foggy. The pictures could have been better if some more attention was given to the camera settings. But frankly I was not in a good position to check that out as the moments were too captivating in reality.
-Best regards,
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:45   #38
BHPian

Hey Kandisa, Excellent pictures mate! It was good to have you on this trip. Hope to see you at many more OTRs to come.

I totaly agree about the trail. The tougest part was seeing the terrain under the low grass and shrubs.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:36   #39
fk7
BHPian

nice pictures, looks quite scary and fun.

BTW can you post some pictures of the green 540/550 which has the snorkel?

Interesting looking vehicle, does it belong to a member here? If so who?

Definitely need more details about the snorkel, local purchase or custom built?

Regards

FK
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:00   #40
BHPian

It is a Safari (Not TATA) snorkel kit on a MM550 (Ex-army 2000 model).
It belongs to Laxman Vishwanathan from NIOC .The snorkel kit would set you back around 30-35+ K.

You will need to have it imported (I think for Aus), the fitment can be done by any qualified body shop. Autopsyche did the intake on Arjun's TLC.

This very MM550 is for sale as well. The owner already has 2 jeeps and is acquiring another one, hence the sale. Its a very capable machine.
Attached Thumbnails
NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-laxman.jpg  

NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-laxman-2.jpg  

NCR OTR on 20th DEC 08-prado-snorkel.jpg  

Last edited by Torque-ative : 23rd December 2008 at 13:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks