Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 08:27   #1
BHPian

4x4 Events in India

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum. I am based in Sri Lanka. I Would like Like to explore the possibility of off roading in Incredible India. Expedition across India has been in my agenda for some time, but hopefully with the right contacts may become a reality in the future.

I compete in a Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series, modified with 80 series axles, diff locks on both ends, powered by 4.2 liter diesel, with water methenol injection. Traction by TSL Boggers 35x10.5 on 16 inch Bead Lock Rims. I just completed the 2008 Rain Forest Challenge, and the vehicle is back with most pieces in place.

Someday I would like to take my expedition truck, which is the older (Larger) version of the same and hopefully will cover the Himachal Pradesh.

I wish you happy mud & slush for an exiting 2009. I hope someone can forward me a 4x4 event calendar for 2009. Cheers
Old 16th January 2009, 12:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the forum LKCRUISERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKCRUISERS View Post
I compete in a Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series, modified with 80 series axles, diff locks on both ends, powered by 4.2 liter diesel, with water methenol injection. Traction by TSL Boggers 35x10.5 on 16 inch Bead Lock Rims.
With this statement most of us here would turn green with envy. Almost all offroaders in India use either Mahindra Jeep or Maruti Gypsy. Other than these two there are no affordable options for us. For a beast like yours, the trails we drive would be walk in the park. The offroading scene in India is very low-tech using ancient/basic machines.

Quote:
I just completed the 2008 Rain Forest Challenge, and the vehicle is back with most pieces in place.
You did it again, we need a emoticon for turning green with envy.

Quote:
I wish you happy mud & slush for an exiting 2009. I hope someone can forward me a 4x4 event calendar for 2009. Cheers
We don't have 4x4 event calendar for the year, most events are planned wth 1-2 months notice.
Old 16th January 2009, 15:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to whatever Samurai has mentioned. . Also, very nice to see a serious mud chomper on the emerald island country.

Quote:
... I hope someone can forward me a 4x4 event calendar for 2009. Cheers
No calendar sir. We are mostly into weekend camping + trail dusting off-road scene here.

But yes, in the rains (if it rains heavily), we do have our annual coorg event. However it could be a walk in the park for you compared to the rainforest challenge.

But still, if you want you can come down here and enjoy whatever we do. You can come over with or without your truck. Most welcome -- anytime.

Cheers,
Old 16th January 2009, 16:22   #4
BHPian

Till now i had no clue about what The Rainforest Challenge was. These pics just summed up the whole thing!!!!

Congrats and Hats OFF sir!!
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 Events in India-clipboard02.jpg  

4x4 Events in India-img_0934.jpg  

4x4 Events in India-mg_6163.jpg  

Old 16th January 2009, 16:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Boy oh boy.. The 2nd & 3rd pics are scary.

The 1st pic, we do such kind of stuff here in India as well. But 2nd and 3rd obstacles -- hooooooo... Sent a shiver in my spine just thinking & visualizing myself to be there in a 4x4.
Old 16th January 2009, 21:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
Till now i had no clue about what The Rainforest Challenge was. These pics just summed up the whole thing!!!!

Congrats and Hats OFF sir!!

Guys, do not get fooled by the looks of these trucks, what they do is take a new trauck and go back to the rigid axle technology of the so called ancient mahindra and the gypsy.

Just look at the picture there is a Sasangyong at the Rain Forest, Which is a buit like a car with a steering rack.

We were too were having simple machines and the "4x4 challenge started it all in 2004"

I have a lot of respect for Mahindra, and Gypsies, if you can handle these leaf sprung vehicles, the new ones are for those who have no feel for gravity.

The gypsy especially is light and the long wheel base will make an excellent competition vehicle. We have the Mitsubishi J24, & J 44 same as the Mahindra, and these guys give good competition to the Bbrand new Wranglers.

Off roading is only 33% machine, the rest is with the person on the wheel where a combination of skill and strategy.

I truly beleive that you guys have more tricks up your sleeve with basic machines than most of us who purchase another accesory to do it for us.

Cheers
Old 16th January 2009, 22:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

i have seen videos of SL 4x4 events and i must say the events we have in india are no way close to the ones held in SL!

cheers:
Old 16th January 2009, 22:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i have seen videos of SL 4x4 events and i must say the events we have in india are no way close to the ones held in SL!
You must never judge degree of difficulty in offroading just by looking at photos and videos. Just curious, which are the events you have seen in India?
Old 16th January 2009, 22:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You must never judge degree of difficulty in offroading just by looking at photos and videos. Just curious, which are the events you have seen in India?
i have only seen M&M great escapes. and those are just excursion trips and not 4x4 events!

i would certainly like to get information about any other 4x4 events that take place in india which can be compared to the ones in SL!

cheers:
Old 17th January 2009, 03:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

LK you have to pretty much check in this section on a regular basis if you want to know about events in India. Many SriLankans have brought their cars to India for racing events in Chennai so you can check with the community there on how it works.

Have you ever done the Camel Trophy?
Old 17th January 2009, 20:29   #11
BHPian

Hi LKCRUISER:

I was just going through your profile. You are into customization of 4x4's or is it only for LC's?

The list of cars that you have are amazing. Do post some pics of all your machines:

Land Cruiser FJ25, FJ45, BJ40, HJ47, HDJ75, BJ75, HZJ70, HDJ 70 & HJ60

Cheers
Old 17th January 2009, 21:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
LK you have to pretty much check in this section on a regular basis if you want to know about events in India. Many SriLankans have brought their cars to India for racing events in Chennai so you can check with the community there on how it works.

Have you ever done the Camel Trophy?
Unfortunately not the camel trophy. But was not a Land Rover fan any way. I have done the continental divide in the USA. New Mexico to Wyoming. But this is for mostly large SUV's (Not even your side mirrors get scratched) where the challenges in our back yard is more serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
Hi LKCRUISER:

I was just going through your profile. You are into customization of 4x4's or is it only for LC's?

The list of cars that you have are amazing. Do post some pics of all your machines:

Land Cruiser FJ25, FJ45, BJ40, HJ47, HDJ75, BJ75, HZJ70, HDJ 70 & HJ60

Cheers
LC's are close to my heart, hence the inspiration comes naturally. But also customize Jeep Wranglers, Nissan patrol, Mitsubishi J24, L200, Izuzu Cabs, Suzuki and Mahindra Bolero/Scorpio.

I don't think I can post pics as yet as i am still under the moderator's scrutiny. But you can check out my site on Landcruiser Critique

Have added the FJ25 and the HZJ 70 & HDJ Since then, will post them when I can do so.

Cheers

Note from Support: You can post pictures. Check this link on how to -> Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP

Last edited by aah78 : 17th January 2009 at 21:57. Reason: See note.
Old 18th January 2009, 13:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, do not get fooled by the looks of these trucks, what they do is take a new trauck and go back to the rigid axle technology of the so called ancient mahindra and the gypsy.

Just look at the picture there is a Sasangyong at the Rain Forest, Which is a buit like a car with a steering rack.

We were too were having simple machines and the "4x4 challenge started it all in 2004"

I have a lot of respect for Mahindra, and Gypsies, if you can handle these leaf sprung vehicles, the new ones are for those who have no feel for gravity.

The gypsy especially is light and the long wheel base will make an excellent competition vehicle. We have the Mitsubishi J24, & J 44 same as the Mahindra, and these guys give good competition to the Bbrand new Wranglers.

Off roading is only 33% machine, the rest is with the person on the wheel where a combination of skill and strategy.

I truly beleive that you guys have more tricks up your sleeve with basic machines than most of us who purchase another accesory to do it for us.

Cheers

On top of everything the guy is humble too.
All the best
Old 18th January 2009, 19:01   #14
BHPian

Well 4x4 BHP brothers and sisters, why don't we set a date for a 4x4 event for what everit is worth. Chennai could be a good location as the cost to fly there is not very expensive. If you give me about 20-30 acre land and a back hoe loader (Hoping the land lord would not mind), and some safety tape we can cut a track on Saturday and run the event on Sunday. We can keep the back hoe for recovery and close the holes end of Sunday. I do not mind flying over and getting it all started.

A simple track with a few axle twisters and a little mud. Approx 4 min per vehicle to complete the track, with standard tires. 20 vehicle participation should make an event. Minumum requirement: Working 4x4, Seat Belts, Front & Rear Tow hooks, and a good sense of humour.

We can finish off with a simple award ceromony. Plus cheers:cheers and end of it all.

How about it
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 Events in India-911dsc_09321.jpg  

4x4 Events in India-rfc_2008_3571.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th January 2009 at 20:31. Reason: 2 smileys per post max. Please read the rules. Thanks.
Old 18th January 2009, 19:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Well 4x4 BHP brothers and sisters, why don't we set a date for a 4x4 event for what everit is worth. Chennai could be a good location as the cost to fly there is not very expensive. If you give me about 20-30 acre land and a back hoe loader (Hoping the land lord would not mind), and some safety tape we can cut a track on Saturday and run the event on Sunday. We can keep the back hoe for recovery and close the holes end of Sunday. I do not mind flying over and getting it all started.

A simple track with a few axle twisters and a little mud. Approx 4 min per vehicle to complete the track, with standard tires. 20 vehicle participation should make an event. Minumum requirement: Working 4x4, Seat Belts, Front & Rear Tow hooks, and a good sense of humour.

We can finish off with a simple award ceromony. Pluscheers:cheers:cheers: and end of it all.

How about it
Hi LKCRUISERS

Nice pics from Sri Lanka, friends who have been there, have good things to say about the 4x4 scene. You are blessed with some beautiful natural terrain that makes good offroading. WRT the events, please have a look at this thread
Jeep Thrills Mitsubishi Monsoon Challenge
We in India of course have the Jeep and Mahindra 4x4s as staple, in the event above we had a diverse range of 4x4s events participating, you will also find an FJ in the pics. This was the third of our 4x4 events in Hyderabad and the next one is slate for around mid Feb, you and your friends from SL are welcome to join us. We too have a small awards ceremony at the end

Shams

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks