Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 12:16   #271
Senior - BHPian

Whoa !! A cobra. That's scary. I have come across many snakes in our backyard, but never a cobra. And I hope it stays that way. For some reason, the very thought of a cobra is scary.
Old 21st January 2010, 13:01   #272
Team-BHP Support

Cobras are very common in our area, and we don't really do anything about it. We neither catch nor kill. Living near forest area, we just ignore them, they ignore us. My office ground used to have couple cobras when we moved into the building in 2007. They regularly used to visit the security room, but they moved out once we burnt the dry grass within the campus last year.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2010 at 13:02.
Old 21st January 2010, 16:28   #273
BHPian

@pramod and clever: glad that you both work as a team in these rescues. Glad to know that you have fear of snakes. The fear keeps us grounded firmly during rescues. Those stupid daredevils and showoffs will surely get killed 9/10 times.

It is so easy to kill a snake for no fault of its, but so difficult to let it live just because we want to live. What we forget is that just like we share space with dogs and cats, snakes share this space too. And like pramod mentioned, no snakes means rodent infestation.

Had a cobra encounter just outside our cottage last week. Let it just go on its way since its the temple snake.
Old 21st January 2010, 17:26   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Cobras are very common in our area, and we don't really do anything about it. We neither catch nor kill. Living near forest area, we just ignore them, they ignore us. My office ground used to have couple cobras when we moved into the building in 2007. They regularly used to visit the security room, but they moved out once we burnt the dry grass within the campus last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
@pramod and clever: glad that you both work as a team in these rescues. Glad to know that you have fear of snakes. The fear keeps us grounded firmly during rescues. Those stupid daredevils and showoffs will surely get killed 9/10 times.

It is so easy to kill a snake for no fault of its, but so difficult to let it live just because we want to live. What we forget is that just like we share space with dogs and cats, snakes share this space too. And like pramod mentioned, no snakes means rodent infestation.

Had a cobra encounter just outside our cottage last week. Let it just go on its way since its the temple snake.

I am very please to know that you guys have great respect for snakes in karnataka, here in kerala the story is quite different, people just cannot coexist.

I love them, just because of their superior adaptation skills, hope fully education about them will let people understand them better.

Pramod
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:43   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am very please to know that you guys have great respect for snakes in karnataka, here in kerala the story is quite different, people just cannot coexist.

I love them, just because of their superior adaptation skills, hope fully education about them will let people understand them better.

Pramod
The story is the same everywhere pramod. People see a snake, they want to kill it. Where i stay in coorg, I try to educate and inform people that the snakes that they encounter daily are more often than not just simple non venomous ones, and how their killing will impact the food crop around. In our estate there is a strict rule for labourers- "No killing any snakes". gradually iam trying to spread this word to people in the village as well so that snakes have more than a fighting chance to live.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:55   #276
Team-BHP Support

When I lived in Coorg in late 70s, we routinely had snakes visiting our house. Once my brother even stepped on a viper in the kitchen. We always used to call our Kodava neighbour, and in every instance the snake was killed by them. When my parents opposed the killing of a Cobra (it is sacred for us coastal people), my neighbour said that houses will be full of snakes if they are not killed near human habitat.

BTW, here is a deadly snake story, a BHPian handles a 6 foot long russel's viper with his bare hands: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...22km-trek.html
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:21   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, here is a deadly snake story, a BHPian handles a 6 foot long russel's viper with his bare hands: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...22km-trek.html
This is stupidty, Since the member was unaware that it was a viper its even more stupid to attempt such a fete, Russells viper do not grow to 6ft length, the maximum recorded lenth was 1.7 meters which was again in captivity and the snake was very old. The one in the link is not more than 3-3.5 ft.

The main reason i still emphasize this point to know your sorroundings and the creatures in them is to prevent such mistakes, and trust me when medical assistance is far away, things like this should not even be thought about.

Pramod
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:42   #278
BHPian

Snakes are revered for many reasons. But they are scary too. Just the sight of them gives me creeps.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:55   #279
BHPian

I think i should say THANK YOU Pramod for saving a brilliant specimen.
Its so sad that we are only scared of beings we are not aware about.
But killing such a beauty has to be a cardinal sin.
and yeah i second jkdas's question; did you switch on the sub...
a grooving cobra in the boot eh, how that for getting a high ????

Last edited by nairanupg : 22nd January 2010 at 15:57.
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:37   #280
Senior - BHPian

clever dude and snake Promod, good stuff. That's one snake saved. i think your two jbl woofers might be more scarier to the locals than the snake.
keep it up.
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:02   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
i think your two jbl woofers might be more scarier to the locals than the snake.
keep it up.
May be the snake could have danced to the jbl woofer's tunes?
Old 24th January 2010, 09:52   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
U want me organise this?let me know

Raj
Hi Raj, need the favor from you now. is it possible to courier me a copy of the field guide to coorg? Couldnt source it online.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:13   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Hi Raj, need the favor from you now. is it possible to courier me a copy of the field guide to coorg? Couldnt source it online.
Hi Prince,

sorry for the delay as we had the annual OTR meet here and was seeing the report on that and could not check the availabilty with Sapana books here.meantime u pls try sapanaonline.com and [COLOR=#000000]infibeam.com[/COLOR] for the same and let me know.

Raj
Old 28th January 2010, 18:56   #284
BHPian

Last weekend me and couple of my friends went to an adventure camp called “Deccan Trails” some 65 kms from Hyderabad.

The camp had invited Mr. Rajkumar founder of the “friends of the snakes society” to conduct an educational program on conservation/ protecting and identifying venomous and non venomous snakes for the school children who also had come for a visit to the camp.

Mr Rajkumar had a total of 15 different species of snakes that he had either rescued from human habitats or saved from being killed. The highlight was a 10 feet Python that he has rescued from Shilparamam, a Cobra & a very long Rat snake..enclosing few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-slide1.gif  

Snakes!-slide2.gif  

Snakes!-slide3.gif  

Snakes!-slide4.gif  

Snakes!-slide5.gif  

Snakes!-slide6.gif  

Snakes!-slide7.gif  

Snakes!-slide8.gif  

Snakes!-slide9.gif  

Old 28th January 2010, 22:33   #285
BHPian

god, snakes scare the crap out of me. the snake in the last picture is one mean looking fellow.
great pics s@tan2s@int

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks