Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 10:35   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Hi Prince,

sorry for the delay as we had the annual OTR meet here and was seeing the report on that and could not check the availabilty with Sapana books here.meantime u pls try sapanaonline.com and [COLOR=#000000]infibeam.com[/COLOR] for the same and let me know.

Raj
Hi Raj,

No problem buddy. I was unable to source it online so just got someone from mom's office to find a copy and send it. Just got hold of the book yesterday. Its a good guide.
Old 29th January 2010, 12:42   #287
BHPian

wow,great Prince u managed

Raj
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:04   #288
BHPian

Had 2 rescues in 2 days. 4 big rat snakes in 1 compound. Managed to rescue 2 of them and release them away from humans. The 1st was 6.5ft long whereas the one rescued yesterday was bigger at 8 feet in length. Had a tough time with all the locals gathering and creating a circus around. Will post photos when am able to upload.
princezahed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 12:24   #289
BHPian

Hi prince,

wonderful and really great news.pls post the snaps.wish like to participate some of your rescues

Raj
Old 4th February 2010, 16:13   #290
BHPian

Pramod, Prince, Wanted to appreciate all the the great effort that you are taking to this noble cause. This is fantastic. Nice to know that there are people like you who are involved in a cause which seldom gets the attention it needs!!
Old 5th February 2010, 19:44   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Hi prince,

wonderful and really great news.pls post the snaps.wish like to participate some of your rescues

Raj
Here in Coorg it is a continuous process since both man and reptile live in very close proximity. Maybe if your here sometime then you can join me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshnarayanan View Post
Pramod, Prince, Wanted to appreciate all the the great effort that you are taking to this noble cause. This is fantastic. Nice to know that there are people like you who are involved in a cause which seldom gets the attention it needs!!
Hey rajesh thanks buddy. We do not need the attention. It is the cause that needs it. The level of ignorance that people have about snakes is amazing. Iam treated like a local celebrity in my surrounding village which is not needed. Wish the snakes would be treated like celebrities though.
Old 5th February 2010, 22:08   #292
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

These snake discussions are really going healthy, same time the killers are snakes are also growing rapidly on the rural side.

A week before last week, I was in my home town and was going to a village weekly market (Sandhai) and found a lots of people buy the snake killing weapons. I was awestruck and at no help to prevent the snakes from being killed by the deadly four weapons.

Snakes!-image086.jpg
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 11:31   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys,

These snake discussions are really going healthy, same time the killers are snakes are also growing rapidly on the rural side.

A week before last week, I was in my home town and was going to a village weekly market (Sandhai) and found a lots of people buy the snake killing weapons. I was awestruck and at no help to prevent the snakes from being killed by the deadly four weapons.

Attachment 281835
Thats the sad part. Snakes are still killed out of fear and superstitions, not to mention the snake skins being sold for various reasons.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:33   #294
BHPian

[quote=princezahed;1718444]Here in Coorg it is a continuous process since both man and reptile live in very close proximity. Maybe if your here sometime then you can join me.

i hope i will make it sometime.

Raj
Old 9th February 2010, 14:41   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway
found a lots of people buy the snake killing weapons. I was awestruck and at no help to prevent the snakes from being killed by the deadly four weapons.
I did not know there were special equipment to kill snakes. What is the purpose of each of the 4 weapons ? In Kerala, they just use a stick/cane.

While eco-balance, snake-conservation etc can be bandied about by us who rarely come across venomous snakes in the course of our work/leisure, those in villages would be chancing upon them in their homes or while working in the fields etc. For them, it is a simple matter of survival - theirs vs the snakes. I am sure they would not harm rat-snakes (in Kerala no one bothers with these), but with Cobras or kraits or vipers, their thought-process would be to eliminate the threat.
Old 10th February 2010, 18:27   #296
Senior - BHPian

Snake encounter No. 3 - Ratsnake!

Today I spotted a small snake in my front yard when I came out while talking to someone over the phone. As soon as it sensed my presence, it hid itself under some broken bricks lying over there.

Confused whether it is a rat snake or a baby cobra (last time it was an adult Cobra) I called up pramod again, he and his friend came within 15 minutes (His lancer @ full throttle ) and just caught the snake with bare hands as he was sure it was a rat snake.

The onlookers were surprised and scared by this act Here are some pics that I took.

Snakes!-dsc07805.jpg

Attachment 285424

Snakes!-dsc07807.jpg

Snakes!-dsc07804ii.jpg

Snakes!-dsc07802.jpg

Snakes!-dsc07801.jpg

Thanks a lot Pramod! You rock. It was a relief to know that it was a Ratsnake, given the kids are out in the yard playing most of the daytime.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th February 2010 at 18:43.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2010, 21:23   #297
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity, what's the snake situation like in BLR? it's not much of a problem on a daily basis is it?
Old 11th February 2010, 10:16   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's the snake situation like in BLR? it's not much of a problem on a daily basis is it?
In bangalore there is no space for humans itself, how can those poor reptiles survive.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:22   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
In bangalore there is no space for humans itself, how can those poor reptiles survive.
So that's the problem. Snakes often find a nice hiding place in your bedroom or in some darker corners of your bathroom or so.

Here in our place, snakes have their own place (Lots of space and vegetation around) and we have ours.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th February 2010 at 10:24.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:34   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
So that's the problem. Snakes often find a nice hiding place in your bedroom or in some darker corners of your bathroom or so.

Here in our place, snakes have their own place (Lots of space and vegetation around) and we have ours.
Thats the problem. They are out of place in cities, so they find place in our gardens,house, garage etc. Even here in coorg its just green vegetation and thick forests around so snakes have lots of places. Infact I have seen more snakes here at our estate than I have seen even in zoos, minus the big king.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks