Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 14:52   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Extreamly sorry guys for passing on a wrong information, all snakes do not let go their tails, however a checkerd keelback does it. I do not read a lot of litrature and my claims are usually backed by experiance, In this case little assumption as well .
There were two of them i picked up one and i did not have a bag so it started rolling over and thats when it lost its tail, initially i was freaked thinking that i have hurt the snake, then i called a friend and he said snakes some times do that, and they grow back. I asked him again yesterday, he said only checkerds do that, while i successfully bagged the other one see the pics below

Prince: I can idetify some snakes atleast and definitely can differentiate a snake and a lizzard

Pramod
I know Pramod. But I have not seen any snake drop its tail so what you told me was a shock. And honestly I would need to see one to believe it. It may be true with the case of checkered's as you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Yes Prince,iam in Mosque road.i thought ur in coorge.r u in benson town now?
Raj
Well my house is in benson town but I spend most of my time in Coorg. Next time in town I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What is this "death roll" that you guys keep talking about ? And is this specific only to keelbacks ?
Like Pramod mentioned, its a defence mechanism where the snake starts rolling over and over again in the hope that maybe it can escape. You need to let the snake roll over while you maintain your grip on it.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:05   #317
BHPian

OT - There has been a few snake sighting instances in our apartment complex. Would any of you know of a snake catcher / handling expect in Bangalore who can hunt these guys down & safely relocate to their natural habitat.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:17   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
OT - There has been a few snake sighting instances in our apartment complex. Would any of you know of a snake catcher / handling expect in Bangalore who can hunt these guys down & safely relocate to their natural habitat.
just try Mr Muhamed Anees on 9844037424.he is an expert herpatologist in bangalore. Prince can give more info

Raj
Old 19th February 2010, 16:22   #319
BHPian

Quote:
just try Mr Muhamed Anees on ....
I had been looking for this gentleman's number for a while. Thanks for posting. We have not had any problems with snakes in our area, but I'm going to store his number just in case.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:24   #320
BHPian

Quote:
just try Mr Muhamed Anees on 9844037424.he is an expert herpatologist in bangalore. Prince can give more info

Raj
Thank you Raj, shall reach out to Muhamed Anees.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:46   #321
BHPian

Help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

in the pic i just grabbed a running snake off the ground(i have some mud on my hand), these pics were taken immediately before i could completely control the snake, the best way to grab a snake is always by the mid body just above the anus as they also drop their tails like lizards to run away.

Pramod

Hi Pramod..

Recived this request in facebook from one of my friends..

""Just now received message from one of our Group Member "Nikhilesh Mahakur" . He said-

Anoop and his dad own the property in Allepy ,Kerala ,they are asking for help-the python is stuck in the fish traps in marshy land probably the tail is stuck and it's been there for the last 4 days, they dont care about the nets getting damaged but wan...t to save the python, but are worried to get close as the python is about 12 ft. Does anyone know who can help?

He also posted the same on our group wall. So if anybody knows any reptile activist from Kerala, specially from Allepy.. Please contact Nikhilesh or on the number given above...!""

Just wanted to check if you can help in rescuing this snake..if so, you can contact Anoop on the number mentioned above...

Last edited by Aditya : 14th December 2023 at 11:20. Reason: Phone number deleted
Old 20th February 2010, 09:46   #322
BHPian

Quote:

Raj
hey Raj, what info can I give in this case? Unless we see some photographs of the snake I cant tell anything.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:13   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post

they dont care about the nets getting damaged but wan...t to save the python, but are worried to get close as the python is about 12 ft. Does anyone know who can help?
Wow..not many folks care about living creatures, and Anoop's not bothered about his nets and woul dmuch rather have the snake out alive. Hats off to such individuals!
I guess its a risky thing, but would it help in distracting the snake while someone takes a close look at the tail segment? I personally wouldn't try stunts with a 12ft python, but if a herpatologist ain't at hand, do the needful!.
Old 20th February 2010, 12:48   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Thank you Raj, shall reach out to Muhamed Anees.
Hi,i met Anees yday.and spent sometime together over a cofee.such a passionate snake lover.i amazed the way he conveyed few abt snakes with so much of love towards them.he is surely having many plans to educate the youths of india hw to love snakes.ofcourse he needs lots of supports.i shall post you his plans soon.

Raj
Old 21st February 2010, 09:15   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,i met Anees yday.and spent sometime together over a cofee.such a passionate snake lover.i amazed the way he conveyed few abt snakes with so much of love towards them.he is surely having many plans to educate the youths of india hw to love snakes.ofcourse he needs lots of supports.i shall post you his plans soon.

Raj
I recently learnt that iam related to Anees, but in a far way. Btw guess what. I had 2 specimens of a hill keelback which had just popped up outside our cottage in the estate. These are supposed to be uncommon and found only in the western ghats. I got to study some behaviour and the shocking thing was that the female which was smaller than the male actually ate him up alive ( after mating I presume ). And all this for a snake that is just 40cms.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:00   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
I recently learnt that iam related to Anees, but in a far way. Btw guess what. I had 2 specimens of a hill keelback which had just popped up outside our cottage in the estate. These are supposed to be uncommon and found only in the western ghats. I got to study some behaviour and the shocking thing was that the female which was smaller than the male actually ate him up alive ( after mating I presume ). And all this for a snake that is just 40cms.
Oh tats nice to know.Hill keelback is mentioned in roms guide?

Raj
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:20   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Oh tats nice to know.Hill keelback is mentioned in roms guide?

Raj
Yes it is. It is mentioned as an uncommon species and no behaviour has been mentioned. I have noticed some behaviour of the snake and even mailed Ashok Captain about the same. He said it was interesting.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:07   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Yes it is. It is mentioned as an uncommon species and no behaviour has been mentioned. I have noticed some behaviour of the snake and even mailed Ashok Captain about the same. He said it was interesting.
hope soon we will see ur findings in this forum.all the very best

Raj
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:42   #329
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that the research center at agumbe will be closed?? Read in deccan herald a few days back on the online edition. Please confirm
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:44   #330
BHPian

Quote:
hope soon we will see ur findings in this forum.all the very best

Raj
well buddy i can tell you a few things about the hill keelback that are not mentioned in the guide. apart from that iam not sure about their mating and nesting pattern.just yesterday the female shed her skin.it is a much nicer and greener shade show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Is it true that the research center at agumbe will be closed?? Read in deccan herald a few days back on the online edition. Please confirm
hey maddy iam not sure about that buddy.lots of stupid people were trying to prove that the centre was being used for personal gains rather than research, which was rubbish.let me confirm the same and let you know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks