Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 17:13   #406
BHPian

is it possible to load the videos. i have some videos of these snakes (captured durng our live training sessions)
Old 20th June 2010, 16:10   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Where do you find such a place (ie. away from people) in Kerala ?

Man, even when coiled, that snake looks dangerous.

What snake was it anyway ?

You should hear it sounds like a pressure cooker, there are a lot of such places in kerala which can be a perfect home for a feet long russells viper, there was a small river, i released it near an uninhabited bank

Pramod
Old 20th June 2010, 19:49   #408
Senior - BHPian

My Snakes

I have been through snakes large number of times. Recent one being in Shillong in my room when I had gone for a tour. I find snakes very interesting. But somehow could never identify the species accurately. I have been able to capture only few of them in the camera. Its very rare to see a snake when you have a camera with you.

Pic : 1 Lets count your teeth baby Cobra
Pic : 2 Trying to hide in sand!
Pic : 4 & 5 : Its "Dumuhi" IMO.

Can anyone identify the one in Pic 2 & 3?
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-dsc01473.jpg  

Snakes!-dsc06223-2.jpg  

Snakes!-dsc06223-1.jpg  

Snakes!-dsc06223-3.jpg  

Snakes!-dsc06223-4.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2010, 21:09   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I have been through snakes large number of times. Recent one being in Shillong in my room when I had gone for a tour. I find snakes very interesting. But somehow could never identify the species accurately. I have been able to capture only few of them in the camera. Its very rare to see a snake when you have a camera with you.

Pic : 1 Lets count your teeth baby Cobra
Pic : 2 Trying to hide in sand!
Pic : 4 & 5 : Its "Dumuhi" IMO.

Can anyone identify the one in Pic 2 & 3?
Pic 2 and 3 looks like a very rare snake known as the red spotted royal snake. It is a non venomous snake that is very rare and has been recorded only in rajasthan till date. so that is a lucky catch indeed.

pic 4 and 5 is the red sand boa, also known as the 2 headed snake, which you have called as the "dumuhi" here. It actually has only 1 head,but since its tail also looks like another head, hence the name.
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:55   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Pic 2 and 3 looks like a very rare snake known as the red spotted royal snake. It is a non venomous snake that is very rare and has been recorded only in rajasthan till date. so that is a lucky catch indeed.

pic 4 and 5 is the red sand boa, also known as the 2 headed snake, which you have called as the "dumuhi" here. It actually has only 1 head,but since its tail also looks like another head, hence the name.
Thx a lot for the information. Yes you have got it right the snake was indeed quote in Rajasthan. But it was damn beautiful!!! I have never seen a snake so colourful in my life.

Yes true about the sand boa. You have to look really close to differentiate between tail and head.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:19   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Thx a lot for the information. Yes you have got it right the snake was indeed quote in Rajasthan. But it was damn beautiful!!! I have never seen a snake so colourful in my life.

Yes true about the sand boa. You have to look really close to differentiate between tail and head.
Well I have never seen that snake personally myself, but from the photographs it does look colorful and nice. When was it caught anyways?
Old 24th June 2010, 14:47   #412
BHPian

Brilliant! I dint know the existence of this thread ...
I am a big big fan of the snakes of western ghats and i respect King cobra like anything. For me, King Cobra is the Flag ship species to save our Western ghats.

I havent yet gone through the whole thread. Will love to go through.
Here are some thoughts and incidents i have come across.

1. Have seen Green Vine Snakes in many places in karnataka -- Sagara, Sringeri temple (after crossing the bridge), Kuppalli (In Kuvempu's homestead), Kutta.

2. Have seen a big cobra (not sure if it was a King). Had the typical black with yellow strips on it. So i tell myself that i have indeed seen a King cobra!! This was on the way from Kukke Subramanya temple to KP trek start point.

3. Have seen a snake which Samurai recognized as Malabar pit viper, on the Someshwara to Kundapur stretch.

4. Have seen beautiful shining Indian cobras in Shettihalli reserve forest (near theerthalli), Kalasa to Kudremukh tea estate area.
Snakes!-snake1.jpg

Snakes!-snake2.jpg

Snakes!-snake3.jpg

Snakes!-snake4.jpg

Eveytime i come across one such instance, i feel pretty humbled. Love these creatures.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:56   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Well I have never seen that snake personally myself, but from the photographs it does look colorful and nice. When was it caught anyways?
About two years back in the month of February in the dunes. To be truthful the lens has not done justice to the colours. The color was very bright in reality.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:57   #414
Senior - BHPian

Are these green snakes in the last post venomous ?
Old 24th June 2010, 16:00   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Brilliant! I dint know the existence of this thread ...
The green one is a beauty.The colour is such a disguise. I am sure its very difficult to locate it in a vegetated area.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:15   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Are these green snakes in the last post venomous ?
I believe based on what i have seen on Romulus's programs on NatGeo.
They have enough venom to attack small birds, and insects. I dont think, its a danger to humans.

Experts, pls correct my info, if its wrong. Dont wanna mislead in this respect.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:38   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
I believe based on what i have seen on Romulus's programs on NatGeo.
They have enough venom to attack small birds, and insects. I dont think, its a danger to humans.

Experts, pls correct my info, if its wrong. Dont wanna mislead in this respect.
The Green vine snake is mildly venomous and is not fatal to humans.

Ahaetulla nasuta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19th July 2010, 16:46   #418
Senior - BHPian

Just heard that security guys in our compound were trying to get a snake out (right besides my car parked), they had a pipe with one end open and other leading to a bag so that they can get the snake in the bag, they tried for sometime, without any luck - more folks gathered around.

I came out to balcony again and saw that they got the snake off the big stones in that corner, they got it out after a while, tried to keep the trap in front of it, but it was horrified it seems and trying to bite the pipe - I saw the great hood a couple times, it was indeed a cobra.

It was going towards the underground watertank now and suddenly one guard decides to kill. He started hitting the big wodden stick and with a few shots the snake was dead.
I felt bad! I thought I could have done something! Do we have someone in Bangalore who can come and catch the creature and release them to a safe place? I shall keep the contact with me at least.

Last edited by Ketan : 19th July 2010 at 16:51.
Old 19th July 2010, 18:06   #419
BHPian

Man you gusy are really brave. I am scared even by the thought of snakes, seeing one scares the HELL out of me.

Though this definetly reminds me on an incidence, me and 2 other friends were at a place called Parsik Hill (Close to CBD Navi mumbai). we were enjoying our fags in summer time, the grass behind was dry and the locals had burnt them in slots. I along with one friend was sitting on the paved block and one was standing facing us, we could feel something passing behind us but couldnt see anything, so didnt care much, after 5 mins or so. A python was standing just a foot away from me, when I say standing, it had raised its body to almost more then 2 feet upwards. I hope you guys dont make fun out of it or how many of you have seen something like this. the body was burned at places. All 3 of us did was start our bikes and never ever sit at place like this again. I still feel terrified recollecting those momets.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:28   #420
Senior - BHPian

Was happy to recently see a snake rescued from our company warehouse by the owner himself. This one had been trapped inside the RBS which is one to trap rats kept in the warehouse.

The owner used a stick to slowly drag the snake out and went and left it in the fields beside the godown.

Well one query. It looked like a cobra but was fully black in color. Which one? It did rise its hood but was not fully open like a cobra's usualy is

Most Viewed